I lamented to a BBM poster that their animated GIFs were no longer working. They replied that we must update to 10.3 (not yet out from Verizon). I have installed Beta BB OSes before, but my current OS 10.2.1.2180 (SW 10.2.1.2126) has been very well behaved and I would prefer to wait for an "Official" release before updating. I know... I'm a chicken!

I've tried to determine why some animated GIFs play fine (in BBM as well as directly from a DropBox folder) while others show just a static or partial image. I've used my PhotoShop CS5 to recreate one with different settings, with no success. Both working and non-working (in BB OS 10.2.1) animated GIFs play perfectly in IE 11 and FireFox 31 in Windows 7, as well as BBM in IOS 7.1.2 on an iPad Air.

Does anyone know what characteristic(s) of animated GIFs cause some to work fine while others fail?
    Numerous BBM viewers have posted comments about this and it would be very helpful for someone more skilled/knowledgeable than me to offer their help.
    CMcRob likes this.
    09-01-14 07:14 PM
    How are you getting these GIFs? Is someone sending them via BBM, in which case are you requesting the High Quality version?
    09-01-14 08:06 PM
    How are you getting these GIFs? Is someone sending them via BBM, in which case are you requesting the High Quality version?
    BBM app on my Z30, then "Channels", then "My Channels", then "! The GIFF Exchange !" (Channel PIN C001B7B16).
    Some of their postings work fine and some behave as I described before. I can not find any "High Quality" setting in there?!?

I just hoped there might be some simple solution to help us all enjoy the Channel owner's creative/humorous postings without the random failings.
    I'm sorry my experience/skill were not up to being any help.
    CMcRob likes this.
    09-01-14 08:33 PM
    It could be that the Channel owner isn't uploading proper GIFs. So the issue may not be on your end.
    09-02-14 08:12 AM
    Bump!

I'm curious as well... I post the odd gif on my channel as well and some work fine, some do not. There has to be a more consistent way.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 09:52 AM
    It could be that the Channel owner isn't uploading proper GIFs. So the issue may not be on your end.
    Yes, that was exactly my point, for which I provided as many details (clues?) as I could find. Their animated GIFs used to work every time, while more recently, some work and some don't.

They believe it has to do with our 10.2.1 OS vs their 10.3 OS where they assure us that ALL their GIFs work perfectly.
    Since I've demonstrated that the GIFs, that don't work on 10.2.1 BBOS, DO "play perfectly in IE 11 and FireFox 31 in Windows 7, as well as BBM in IOS 7.1.2 on an iPad Air", I am led to believe their words!

Do you or anyone in these forums understand what the BBOS developers don't understand (realize?) about why BBOS 10.2.1 broke a function and BBOS 10.3 "magically" fixed it??

Of course it's the GIF files that are the "problem". But what about them chokes BBOS 10.2.1 that BBOS 10.3 (and 10.1 before) can tolerate.
    I worry about a feature that could be called "robustness" that BB are not any better at building into their products than all the other OS developers!

Quick, flashy, lots of "tricks"... fall flat when a simple file format fails and our confidence is destroyed in a moment. Confidence that takes a long time to cultivate and even longer to rebuild. This is only a tiny detail, but we all need to help BlackBerry rebuild the confidence that the public lost. I want my incredible Z30 to be just the start of a successful return to the smartphone players for BlackBerry. Some of us recall how Apple seemed irrelevant for some years and look at them now!
    09-02-14 11:15 PM