since my 9530 is on its last legs, I just bought an HTC 8x and it STINKS. MS seriously failed to have an easy integration with Outlook, and its general interface is clumsy with a lot of tapping back and forth to close apps and get to other screens. may look sexy but it really is a basic consumer phone. since i use my phone as a tool for work, it is imperative that it works with Outlook. My daughter's iphone was easier to sync with outlook out of the box.
    i was ready to give up on BB, sorry to admit, but starting digging around about 10 once i experienced how worthless W8 is.
    before i return the HTC i really need to know if BB10 is going to have an intuitive and easy (like USB sync) way to sync contacts and calendar from PC. i am nurse my 9530 to wait until it comes out.
    i did dig around on forum and web before posting and cannot seem to find any info.
    thank you!
    12-03-12 10:22 AM
    Sorry to hear you're not happy with the 8X, that's the phone I'm thinking about on the slim chance BB10 flops. I thought you can also sync calendar and contacts over the air with a Outlook mail account, Notes and ToDo's through One Note and Docs through Sky Drive?
    Anyway, it looks to me that BB10 is going to be a better smartphone anyhow.
    12-03-12 07:40 PM
    I have the same questions. I have to be able to sync my phone with Outlook on my PC.

Setting up a new Outlook mail account, which I have zero interest in, then using 2 additional programs for memos and tasks, is not a viable option. I hope RIM realizes they are developing this phone for people who use it for something other than games. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm fed up with 9850 issues now, and RIM has to do better.)
    hobbyboy#CB and littleoncape like this.
    12-03-12 09:28 PM
    At this point we can't say for sure how that will work since the hub on the Dev alpha is not enabled. You could tweet the question to BlackBerry and see what they say.
    littleoncape likes this.
    12-03-12 09:44 PM
    Seeing that the current desktop software can sync with BBOS devices, and there have been pictures of the updated desktop software, it would be a pretty safe bet that they will continue to support desktop synchronization.
    12-03-12 10:13 PM
    I have the same questions. I have to be able to sync my phone with Outlook on my PC.

Setting up a new Outlook mail account, which I have zero interest in, then using 2 additional programs for memos and tasks, is not a viable option. I hope RIM realizes they are developing this phone for people who use it for something other than games. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm fed up with 9850 issues now, and RIM has to do better.)
    The possible solutions I posted for littleonecape are solutions I think (but don' know for sure) work for the HTC 8X Windows Phone. I'm with Xopher in I think BB10 will offer desktop sync with Outlook (and maybe Thunderbird please!) Even though I'm hoping BB10 has some sort of OTA wireless syncing system, I still want the option of being able to do a direct to desktop sync for data I don't want flying around the web and stored on some server who knows where.
    12-03-12 10:48 PM
    I have the same questions. I have to be able to sync my phone with Outlook on my PC. I hope RIM realizes they are developing this phone for people who use it for something other than games. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm fed up with 9850 issues now, and RIM has to do better.)
    I have been syncing through BBDM to Outlook forever, works great! The 9850 should be able to do the same, what problems are you having?
    12-03-12 11:16 PM
    I have been syncing through BBDM to Outlook forever, works great! The 9850 should be able to do the same, what problems are you having?
    In a nutshell, I've had to replace the phone 4 times in 14 months. Twice, sync to Outlook failed and corrupted the databases in the phone, losing data, and requiring 7+ hour sessions on the phone with BB tech support to resolve. And a host of smaller problems. I don't have time for this, and as I said, RIM has to do better.
    12-05-12 01:50 PM
    In a nutshell, I've had to replace the phone 4 times in 14 months. Twice, sync to Outlook failed and corrupted the databases in the phone, losing data, and requiring 7+ hour sessions on the phone with BB tech support to resolve. And a host of smaller problems. I don't have time for this, and as I said, RIM has to do better.
    Wow, yeah more than I can help you with. I have never experienced a corrupted database on a BlackBerry!
    12-05-12 02:43 PM
    Wow - terrible luck. I've been syncing my 9850 with Outlook since the week the phone came out - and never had that happen. must be frustrating.
    12-05-12 05:16 PM
    thanks for all the feedback. just checked back today to see all your replies.
    yes, berryaddictnoza, you can sync W8 with outlook but i'm with Droidophobe, i was loathe to set up a live.com or hotmail account, which i eventually did, then load software that piggybacks on outlook, then set up live.com account as an MS account on the phone. in this day and age, it seems ridiculous seeing that they are all microsoft products. don't want another account to keep track of or be tied to MS in a cloud. my biggest beef is that i had to do all the legwork to figure it out; there is NO info in the set up book and the webpage with the full manual was a bad link. the sales guy at verizon said and i quote, "yes, it syncs with outlook right out of the box. all you have to do is plug it in and software downloads on your computer from the phone and then you sync through that program." Yeah- right...had the same guy helping me dig up the CORRECT way to do it. he had just bought an htc8x too but hadn't gotten that far. spent hours trying to set it all up to work right. it does work now but there are other things that i really dislike about W8 - the opening screen is an unnecessary step, missing are lots of options BB had on my 9530, like clearing cookies (not history), etc...the part that annoys me the most is that the apps don't close when you switch back and forth between things and you end up with a ton of pages/apps open. hard to explain in writing but if you tested one, you know what i mean. the keyboard on my 9530 stutters now so that i get multiple letters appearing for every single tap. not sure if it will make it till the launch of BB10. i have to decide soon whether or not to return the htc. the screen is great, the material and shape nice, the browser lightening fast, but other than that, i do not enjoy using the phone. started watching some of the videos on BB10 and it looks promising. What should i do??!! thanks
    12-06-12 08:08 AM
    yes, berryaddictnoza, you can sync W8 with outlook but i'm with Droidophobe, i was loathe to set up a live.com or hotmail account, which i eventually did, then load software that piggybacks on outlook, then set up live.com account as an MS account on the phone. in this day and age, it seems ridiculous seeing that they are all microsoft products. don't want another account to keep track of or be tied to MS in a cloud. my biggest beef is that i had to do all the legwork to figure it out; there is NO info in the set up book and the webpage with the full manual was a bad link. the sales guy at verizon said and i quote, "yes, it syncs with outlook right out of the box. all you have to do is plug it in and software downloads on your computer from the phone and then you sync through that program." Yeah- right...had the same guy helping me dig up the CORRECT way to do it. he had just bought an htc8x too but hadn't gotten that far. spent hours trying to set it all up to work right. it does work now but there are other things that i really dislike about W8 - the opening screen is an unnecessary step, missing are lots of options BB had on my 9530, like clearing cookies (not history), etc...the part that annoys me the most is that the apps don't close when you switch back and forth between things and you end up with a ton of pages/apps open. hard to explain in writing but if you tested one, you know what i mean. the keyboard on my 9530 stutters now so that i get multiple letters appearing for every single tap. not sure if it will make it till the launch of BB10. i have to decide soon whether or not to return the htc. the screen is great, the material and shape nice, the browser lightening fast, but other than that, i do not enjoy using the phone. started watching some of the videos on BB10 and it looks promising. What should i do??!! thanks
    BB10 looks awesome and is just around the corner, may as well wait. If it doesn't fit what you need, you can always move on. The start screen on BB10 is like WP8 though.
    12-06-12 09:07 AM
    do you mean that it has a photo with notices, time, etc and then you have to swipe it to get to main screen. where can i find an image of the new BB10 screen? if it is a preview screen, it is a worthless extra step in my mind. if you mean it is like the second W8 screen where all your apps show, that is fine. just don't see the sense in having to swipe up to get to my apps. also find that the top button is another unnecessary step to turn it on. i like just tapping my screen and seeing my apps. the button is hard to push too (as many reviewers said . i think i will return the htc and try and hang in there with my storm.
    12-06-12 09:13 AM
    Interesting. When I returned to USCC for my 3rd (or 4th) phone replacement, I asked about W8 phones and whether they could sync with Outlook, and the salesperson called their tech dept and was told they couldn't. I guess that means they can't, without excessive aggravation.
    12-06-12 04:00 PM
    Hopefully it will.
    12-11-12 07:43 PM
    This from the fixes for the Dev alpha os upgrade today:

Pictures added to contacts on the BlackBerry device were not synchronized to Microsoft Outlook.

To me that suggests that BB10 will sync with Outlook. I don't have a Dev Alpha, have no idea how it is syncing.
    12-11-12 08:25 PM
    do you mean that it has a photo with notices, time, etc and then you have to swipe it to get to main screen. where can i find an image of the new BB10 screen? if it is a preview screen, it is a worthless extra step in my mind. if you mean it is like the second W8 screen where all your apps show, that is fine. just don't see the sense in having to swipe up to get to my apps. also find that the top button is another unnecessary step to turn it on. i like just tapping my screen and seeing my apps. the button is hard to push too (as many reviewers said . i think i will return the htc and try and hang in there with my storm.
    Try google, lots of pics there most showing from CrackBerry and video demos with screenshot captures.
    12-12-12 01:45 AM
    Help!
    Since my last 2 updates to Blackberry desktop manager, I am having a real hard time syncing to outlook. When I update or change something on outlook it used to update my bb and vice versa. Now if there is a conflict I am given 4 options, and none of them are what I want. Why can't it just update the device that I didn't make the change on. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    12-12-12 05:34 AM
    Help!
    Since my last 2 updates to Blackberry desktop manager, I am having a real hard time syncing to outlook. When I update or change something on outlook it used to update my bb and vice versa. Now if there is a conflict I am given 4 options, and none of them are what I want. Why can't it just update the device that I didn't make the change on. Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Yes, I had the same thing happen with birthdays of a few contacts, weird. So far the new pop-up window had the options I needed.
    rmcdill, did you check to see if the updates changed your organizer sync set-up? I had to re-do mine on the last update.
    12-12-12 06:06 AM
    This from the fixes for the Dev alpha os upgrade today:

Pictures added to contacts on the BlackBerry device were not synchronized to Microsoft Outlook.

To me that suggests that BB10 will sync with Outlook. I don't have a Dev Alpha, have no idea how it is syncing.
    thanks for insight - it gives me hope.
    update on my W8 vs BB 10 story: I returned the HTC 8x this week. I used it for 2 weeks and really disliked it (read hated it). There is no indicator light showing that you have a missed call or message, so you have to constantly be checking it (felt like a teenager who won't stop fiddling with their phone); for really simple tasks it took more steps than my Storm; the button on the top that you have to press to even check for messages, is hard to press and not easy to do with one hand, then you have to swipe up to get to your apps. Top that with the fact that there was NO information on syncing with Outlook out of the box-from a Windows product, I had had enough. Yes, it looks cool but I don't really care about that. So I reactivated my stuttering, failing BB Storm and hope it survives a few more months and that RIM doesn't go out of business after we all buy a BB10.
    12-14-12 10:23 AM
    thanks for insight - it gives me hope.
    update on my W8 vs BB 10 story: I returned the HTC 8x this week. I used it for 2 weeks and really disliked it (read hated it). There is no indicator light showing that you have a missed call or message, so you have to constantly be checking it (felt like a teenager who won't stop fiddling with their phone); for really simple tasks it took more steps than my Storm; the button on the top that you have to press to even check for messages, is hard to press and not easy to do with one hand, then you have to swipe up to get to your apps. Top that with the fact that there was NO information on syncing with Outlook out of the box-from a Windows product, I had had enough. Yes, it looks cool but I don't really care about that. So I reactivated my stuttering, failing BB Storm and hope it survives a few more months and that RIM doesn't go out of business after we all buy a BB10.
    Well, at least at BB10 you don't need to push any button to check notification or open messages. Just swype the screen. Takes one swype for an action.
    12-14-12 11:20 AM
    Seeing that the current desktop software can sync with BBOS devices, and there have been pictures of the updated desktop software, it would be a pretty safe bet that they will continue to support desktop synchronization.
    But the current desktop software does not sync directly to Outlook for the Playbook; so is that a sign of things to come or just an oversite when they wrote the PIM apps for Playbook?
    12-14-12 02:52 PM
    01-10-13 04:08 PM
    so, now that the big announcement has happened, i have been digging to find the answer to the question, "does BB10-Z10 have a desktop sync with outlook?" or for that matter, does it sync with outlook at all?
    found a few new threads and no one seems to have a definitive answer. i DO NOT have an exchange account, i live by outlook on my personal PC and having my phone up to date is key, as i run 2 business, etc..anyone out there know how this is going to be done? third party? i ditched the W8 phone because of its cloud solution and really don't want to go android and a third party app but if RIM didn't come up with a smooth solution to this, i just may be done with them.
    harryon likes this.
    02-01-13 08:06 AM