Just need to check ...Android is an operation system in its own right....Correct?

So is BB10 Correct ?

Now that a blackberry device is being run on Android...where does this leaves BB10
    10-17-15 10:29 AM
    No one knows for sure but indications point to the end being possible yes
    O4ORVILLE likes this.
    10-17-15 10:32 AM
    Yes. This is the end.
    10-17-15 10:33 AM
    Quantum of Solace?
    10-17-15 12:58 PM
    NO ONE KNOW WHAT TIME WILL BRING. Ignorance is bliss!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:03 PM
    Yes. This is the end.
    Hold your breath and count to ten.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 06:08 PM
    Quantum of Solace?
    Beat me to it.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 06:09 PM
    Another thread asking this same question again? The other umpteen "sky is falling" threads weren't enough, OP?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    Smply_Rckless likes this.
    10-17-15 06:38 PM
    Sorry REALLY long. But this is what goes through my head with the PRIV.

Summary:
    - BB10 isn't selling as well as the investors demand
    - BBRY brings in a technical CEO to resolve business problems
    - BBRY can't (or won't) spend the resources required for BB10 to succeed
    - BBRY caves to investor demands to try a BBRY Android, believes challenges to be technical
    - BBRY cancels some BB10 repos necessary for the future of Cascades (QT5, Webkit, abandons HTML5)
    - BBRY cancels most 3rd party frameworks (QT, Unity, Adobe)
    - BBRY let's go of core BB10 developers and resources to fund BlackDroid - understanding that this saves money but cannot be undone.
    - BBRY shuts down BB10 dev resources (scoreloop, AIR branch, bbry jam rewards, bbry ads) and Begins telling devs to build on Android.
    - BBRY tries one more attempt at BBRY/Android runtime with passport and 10.3.1. See lowest sales yet on BB10.
    - BBRY Alpha Phone, named PRIV announced as a public experiment, going all Android. And builds what it can afford with its reduced resources on Android frameworks. BBRY shows bad marketing SNAFU's (bad marketing slides, bad interviews, poorly thought-out statements) showing first non-developer evidence of the resource impact.
    --> This is where we are today

Realistically, There are three 'likely' outcomes.

- On one hand... Priv does poorly, far below current sales. BlackBerry back paddles but has lost what little developers it had remaining. Users are confused about the future of BlackBerry and hesitate to buy anything or switch to more stable platforms. Not enough users to remain profitable. BlackDroid gets killed quickly. BB10 gets killed slowly. BlackBerry folds. Maybe someone buys the parts. 50/50 they kill it off for patents or use BB10 for something else. Slight chance of BB10 survival (~25%)

- On the other hand... Priv does OK, matches current sales. Some users uncertain and wait to see the outcome before buying. Othe users may simply resist change or get a taste of Google and jump ship. Remaining users try BBRY on Android, and BBRY faces smarter, faster, richer companies in the Droid space. BB10 gets killed quickly due to insufficient profit to support both, and because all upgrade paths for BB10 are closed with insufficient resources to amend them. BlackDroid matches current BB10 for profitability. Chen announced in this scenario that BBRY will close handsets due to not enough profit margin and focus on other ventures. BlackDroid will be decommissioned. BBRY falls from limelight, lives off QNX and less 'marketed' products. Chance of BBRY survival, expecting no handset division.

- On the gripping hand... Priv does Well, 10x current sales. BlackBerry likely creates non-alpha BlackDroids from learned lessons on Priv. Enterprise adopts well. BB10 gets killed quickly (or placed on life support due to increased profit) however they cant regain lost resources critical to revive BB10 and are in demand for BlackDroid resources. Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google or Android realize the profit for security focused devices. Here is the deviation... 50/50 competitors spend 'whatever it costs' (i.e. 10x what BBRY has banked) to under charge and over deliver against BlackBerry on enterprise and consumer. BBRY faces first multibillion dollar focused competition since iOS - hasn't had the years needed to build up BlackDroid resources or generate sufficient R+D, marketing and sell-at-a-loss options to survive and BlackDroid dies slowly OR BBRY gobbled for parts. The other 50/50 is competition does not bother with MDM or enterprise - however, this means enterprise is not profitable enough for a billion dollar company to pay attention which also likely means BBRY is not as profitable as expected, and reverts to the 'other hand' scenario above.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Last edited by KermEd; 10-17-15 at 07:47 PM.
    10-17-15 07:33 PM
    Well I'll say one thing is for certain, if they are on the Android bandwagon then when they are required to make a fix for an android security flaw or other then they can't take 6 months to come out with an update patch. These Android users expect quicker responses in the REAL world.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 05:53 AM
    This is a far shot but has anyone considered that the bb10 OS was simply too secure for the average Joe and the boys in the government didn't like that?

Posted via Silver Passport.
    10-18-15 10:53 PM
    This is a far shot but has anyone considered that the bb10 OS was simply too secure for the average Joe and the boys in the government didn't like that?

Maybe. There's evidence of law enforcement decryption backdoors in most of the secure systems though... such as password keeper. I think BlackBerry has been playing ball in that area...

But it probably didn't jive with the security requirements for most users. Privacy over apps.

10-19-15 12:12 AM
    Maybe. There's evidence of law enforcement decryption backdoors in most of the secure systems though... such as password keeper. I think BlackBerry has been playing ball in that area...

But it probably didn't jive with the security requirements for most users. Privacy over apps.

Password keeper, the app on my BlackBerry is compromised?

10-19-15 12:21 AM
    Hahaha yes. Why, yes it is dead. Time to move on to BlackDroid or Android or iOS or Sega or Atari!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:49 PM
    I don't use any password keep software anyway, best place to hide pw is in one's head but that sucks that it was compromised.

10-19-15 01:21 PM

I don't use any password keep software anyway, best place to hide pw is in one's head but that sucks that it was compromised.

If you are refering to the Elcomsoft Phone Braker announcement it is far from compromised.

Elcomsoft Phone Breaker 4.10 adds support for the latest version of BlackBerry Password Keeper, enabling the extraction of escrow keys and instant decryption of the protected container. Note that BlackBerry 10 backups containing BlackBerry Password Keeper containers are also encrypted, and must be decrypted with ElcomSoft Phone Breaker using the original BlackBerry ID and password prior to accessing BlackBerry Password Keeper data.
    Read the full article here: BlackBerry Password Keeper Escrow Key: Have We Just Found a Hidden Backdoor? � Advanced Password Cracking ? Insight

What they actually say is that there are two keys that can decrypt password keeper data. One is encrypted by the application password. Another is encrypted with the BBID password, and may be uploaded to the cloud backup. Calling this additional key a back door, or an escrow key is streching the point quite a bit considering what they actually say about the keys. In odrder to decrypt the password keeper content one must know either the applicatiion password (or brute force it), or know the BBID password (or brute force it).
    tmf06 likes this.
    10-19-15 01:46 PM
    When Chen took over he said that BlackBerry was committed to the handsets. And they've produced new handsets.
    His last comment on OS10 is that he can't get apps for it and by teaming with Android BlackBerry will get all of the apps available.
    Not once did he say anything about either keeping or maintaining OS10. And no one who has interviewed has asked him about its future.
    There is another thread here asking about apps for OS10 going away, where some devs chime in:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1043427It
    I would love to be wrong but all signs point to OS10 going the way of Symbian and (closer to home) the PlayBook.
    The native apps that I've patiently been waiting for them to fix (since the release of OS10) won't happen now.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 10-20-15 at 07:26 PM.
    10-20-15 07:12 PM
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but she's rocking an iPhone, so.......

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2789‎
    10-20-15 07:35 PM
    If you are refering to the Elcomsoft Phone Braker announcement it is far from compromised.
    Well that's no fun, I'd prefer the rumours!

10-20-15 09:28 PM
    It was 'dead on arrival' with the Z10 - took two years to get it into a state where it was better than OS7.1. Right now at 10.3.2 it's perfect and I will be using it for several years into the future. I have all the apps I need through the Amazon Appstore plus one or two good 'natives' (like Keepas)
    ume_kun and BBRYQ10 like this.
    10-20-15 09:41 PM
    The only app I am missing, or atleast haven't found is google photos. I back up all my photos on my computer and two cloud services. Maybe with the release of Priv, we will get google play store. Then my Q10 will be perfect with the one app (google photos) I want.
    10-20-15 11:48 PM
    The only app I am missing, or atleast haven't found is google photos. I back up all my photos on my computer and two cloud services. Maybe with the release of Priv, we will get google play store. Then my Q10 will be perfect with the one app (google photos) I want.
    Have you paid any attention?

10-21-15 08:01 AM
    I am meaning a true Google Play experience, not the workaround app stores.
    10-21-15 11:37 AM
    I think the question still applies :lol:
    10-21-15 01:14 PM
    I am meaning a true Google Play experience, not the workaround app stores.
    The advent of the Priv does not mean BB10 will get Google Play Services. Neither does it necessarily mean BB10 will loose the Android runtime, but that is far more likely

How these things play out will be the results of business negotiations and who is willing to give what to get what from the other. From the outside it very much looks like Google has the high ground and BlackBerry will have to do whatever the OHA demands to sell the Priv. Maybe they have something Google wants badly enough to let BB10 keep the runtime. You won't find many people here who believe that though.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    anon(6077061) likes this.
    10-21-15 03:59 PM
50 12