After leaving my Blackberry Passport SE on the table following browsing Wikipedia on Firefox For Android I came back about two hours later to a notification that the OS had downloaded and required a restart to install—without any user interaction and without automatic updates enabled. No one else was in the house at the time.

WTF! I kept this device specifically on v10.3.2 for months because of the range of issues I'd read about 10.3.3 across this forum and site and had been avoiding the update only to have it forced upon me.

Is there any way I can stay on v10.3.2 prior to restarting the device?

I've plugged the Passport into the computer and currently creating a backup using Sachesi but I'm aware that once the new 10.3.3 OS is installed after a reboot it's impossible to revert to 10.3.2.

Sachesi is reporting that OS v10.3.2.2639 is still installed at this moment so I'm hoping someone can tell me which path will prevent the update: installing the same version's Core OS + Radio firmware over the current one, Wiping, or performing a Factory Reset within Sachesi?

Any solutions would be highly appreciated! It's urgent as my Passport can crash from time to time which automatically reboots which I need to avoid.

----

Edit, resolved for now!

Thanks to conite's and rbtg's advice I used an autoloader for the version I already had, prior to any rebooting, and it successfully wiped the device and remained on the same version.

So, good news. I'll post again if I encounter any further forced updates in the future.
    Last edited by Emmerich; 08-20-17 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Partial solution
    08-20-17 04:30 AM
    you can try to run the 10.3.2.2639 autoloader before you restart but i will be curious if you will be able to stop the update after that ,from what i read cariers or bb are pushing the update regardless of your settings or wishes
    08-20-17 06:38 AM
    you can try to run the 10.3.2.2639 autoloader before you restart but i will be curious if you will be able to stop the update after that ,from what i read cariers or bb are pushing the update regardless of your settings or wishes
    Thanks for the input. Is there a link/info about the latter? I'm not on any contract phone and was using exclusively Wi-Fi today. I've only read in the past that locked carrier phones can have forced updates but mine is unlocked.

Apart from that you're saying an autoloader (the .exe version I presume, rather than via Sachesi) will wipe/prevent the update, at least for now?
    08-20-17 06:47 AM
    Thanks to conite's and rbtg's advice I used an autoloader for the version I already had, prior to any rebooting, and it successfully wiped the device and remained on the same version.

So, good news. I'll post again if I encounter any further forced updates in the future.
    08-20-17 07:55 AM
    Just check to make sure the auto update isn't turned back on with the OS reload.
    08-20-17 08:04 AM
    Just check to make sure the auto update isn't turned back on with the OS reload.
    Yeah, it's the first thing I canceled and disabled (since it always begins auto downloading after it forces you to connect to Wifi during the setup process).

Thanks for the reminder
    08-20-17 09:11 AM
    I have noticed a lot of users here are reporting getting the last 10.3.3. that's been out all year finally sent to their phones.

I wonder if it's now going out in "mandatory update" style like it did when 10.3.1 was pushed (at least by U.S. carriers) to everyone who were not already on it two years ago.
    08-20-17 09:24 AM
    I'm curious why they would force the update. Why is it so important?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-17 09:38 AM
    I wonder if it's now going out in "mandatory update" style like it did when 10.3.1 was pushed (at least by U.S. carriers) to everyone who were not already on it two years ago.
    Is it correct from what I've read in user comments that updates are only auto downloaded over Wi-Fi? If that's the case I may just not connect and stick to the mobile data, should this be one of those 'mandatory' ones.
    08-20-17 09:48 AM
    Delete typo post.
    08-20-17 11:22 AM
    typos accidental post: updates download without permission sometimes but if I delete the notification and power down instead of restart, using the up-down volume keys held down when turning back on, just until the logo-circle symbols start, then let go of the keys. The update doesn't happen but may nag you again.

I also keep the headphone jack plugged in always when starting or rebooting, which I believe prevents the fm radio from being disabled. I may be crazy but I did have some crazy pas experiences with getting my fm radio to COME BACK on a Q10 using this method.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-17 11:28 AM
    lol had the forced update happen despite updates being turned off on my Z30 too. Drove me nuts.
    08-20-17 12:45 PM
    lol had the forced update happen despite updates being turned off on my Z30 too. Drove me nuts.
    It also happened to me, I thought I didn't have a choice. Since I'm stuck on 10.3.3, the phone is slow and doesn't behave as before. BlackBerry doesn't care about, even after I told them about it. Sad to see that happening on a loyal BlackBerry fan + Shareholder..
    08-20-17 08:22 PM
    typos accidental post: updates download without permission sometimes but if I delete the notification and power down instead of restart, using the up-down volume keys held down when turning back on, just until the logo-circle symbols start, then let go of the keys. The update doesn't happen but may nag you again.
    When you say 'delete the notification' do you mean the reminder in the Hub (I didn't check there when this occurred) or something else? Wasn't aware you could bypass the downloaded update like this. Could be very helpful if so. If anyone else has tried this let us know.

It also happened to me, I thought I didn't have a choice. Since I'm stuck on 10.3.3, the phone is slow and doesn't behave as before. BlackBerry doesn't care about, even after I told them about it. Sad to see that happening on a loyal BlackBerry fan + Shareholder..
    That's unfortunate. While some apparently have no problems with 10.3.3 it was user impressions like these that made me cautious to avoid it.
    08-20-17 09:39 PM
    Run an autoloader. Clears up about 90% of the 10.3.3 issues that people complain about.
    08-20-17 10:07 PM
    Emmerich: 'When you say 'delete the notification' do you mean the reminder in the Hub'
    Yes. I do not know if it matters.
    08-20-17 10:34 PM
    Run an autoloader. Clears up about 90% of the 10.3.3 issues that people complain about.
    Ok thanks, but the autoloader will wipe the phone isn't it? Do you know any other way to get a non destructive autoloader ? Thank you, I always take too much time to make a backup and always end up losing some stuff in that process..
    08-21-17 05:38 AM
    May the Dark Force become confused on the way to your device.
    08-21-17 06:53 AM
    Ok thanks, but the autoloader will wipe the phone isn't it? Do you know any other way to get a non destructive autoloader ? Thank you, I always take too much time to make a backup and always end up losing some stuff in that process..
    Use Ultimate Backup. Never Link.

The benefits of the autoloader require that it be destructive.
    08-21-17 07:18 AM
    My new P9982 which I stuck my simcard in bc of amazon-slacker problem, forced 10.3.2836 onto my phone and 'Behind My Back' and blacked out my screen and was forcing a restart while I was BROWSING with no warning at all. This was last night, after the present thread comments began.

I was holding the off button and volume buttons and realized: I have a Removeable Battery, so I did a battery pull and tired of it all waited til the next morning to put it back in: I am still on 10.3.1.1779.

I know battery pulls DURING updates are a real bad idea but I caught this right at the point of shutdown so I knew it was safe.

My fear of breaking what's not broken is why I do this, and I too checked and automatic updates were turned off.

Posted via CB10
    Emmerich likes this.
    08-21-17 07:22 AM
    Ok thanks, being a newbie in concerns with autoloader, should I research one specifically or there is only one (I just want to make sure it's the right radio, etc..) thanks
    08-21-17 07:25 AM
    Ok thanks, being a newbie in concerns with autoloader, should I research one specifically or there is only one (I just want to make sure it's the right radio, etc..) thanks
    What device do you have?
    08-21-17 07:29 AM
    I have a Q10 with Telus thanks a lot!
    08-21-17 07:36 AM
    I have a Q10 with Telus thanks a lot!
    https://mega.nz/#!RZQh0aiY!8bI51iFyC...80UfPnC1XbYQIo
    08-21-17 07:54 AM
    Thanks, downloading it now, I will do it soon as my Q10 has been slow since the "update" thanks for the help!
    08-21-17 08:25 AM
27 12