Battery Guru is displaying an incorrect 'time to empty' compared with Device Monitor. Anyone know why?

Attachment 250113

Attachment 250114
    It's possible they use different algorithms to calculate TTE.
    02-22-14 08:34 AM
    It's possible they use different algorithms to calculate TTE.
    According to the dev, BG only reports what the OS tells it.
    02-22-14 10:01 AM
    Need citation...
    02-22-14 10:44 AM
    Need citation...
    You lost me, care to clarify?
    02-22-14 04:41 PM
    You lost me, care to clarify?
    Never post info like this without a link, screenshot or citation. If the Dev put it out, link to it. Always cover your tailbone cushion, or else the trolls will getcha.
    02-22-14 05:04 PM
    Never post info like this without a link, screenshot or citation. If the Dev put it out, link to it. Always cover your tailbone cushion, or else the trolls will getcha.
    It was said to me last year in a BBM by said Dev.
    I don't have a screenshot though I have BBM'd and emailed the Dev so will post a screenshot of his reply once I get a reply.
    BBSuperAbuser likes this.
    02-22-14 05:09 PM
    this thread got real technical real quick lol...

but i scanned through and can't see a direct answer; is holding top power/lock button down same hard reset as holding volume up/down keys down??
    02-22-14 05:28 PM
    this thread got real technical real quick lol...

but i scanned through and can't see a direct answer; is holding top power/lock button down same hard reset as holding volume up/down keys down??
    Holding the volume buttons doesn't work on all devices. If you think that those devices don't have the ability for a full reset the perhaps they're different.

Personally I've never seen anything official that says that there's anything different between the restart on the countdown screen, holding the power buttons or holding the volume buttons. Hardware usually doesn't work that way. Holding down the power button or volume buttons during startup may do something special.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 06:16 PM
    Need citation...

The developer Peter has said this many times, you can see the official thread on CB for this.

The reason you are seeing differences in estimated time to empty is because you do not understand how those tools work.

Battery Guru is using a figure derived from any BB10 OS, which is an average of power consumption over the most recently-measured 2-minute period.

The Device Monitor feature that CJH_ took a screenshot of just appeared in 10.2.1.1055 and above, (ie brand-new feature), and has the ability to average and graph results over a much longer timeframe.

Neither one is going to magically predict how long your battery will last, because you could put it to sleep and not touch it for the next 2 days, or you could start a marathon video viewing/game-playing session right this moment and not put the device down for 4 hours.

What Battery Guru is telling you in that screenshot is that assuming your usage is identical to the last 2 minute usage pattern, your battery will last "X days/hours".

What the Device Monitor is telling you (used in the way it was in CJH_'s screenshot), is that assuming your usage is identical to the usage pattern over the time period since the last battery charge, your battery will last "X days/hours".
    02-22-14 08:00 PM
    So after reading this info in this thread. I got scared to pull the battery and decided to try and power off the device using the proper method. The power button, so it powered down and would not come back on. So I pulled the battery. Guess what it came on after that. battery pull wins again lol... Q10 by the way, I just think it's in BlackBerry DNA to do battery pulls it makes it all right again. With bb10 devices it's a lot less likely that you will need to reboot. Seem very stable to me and fluid.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:04 PM
    So after reading this info in this thread. I got scared to pull the battery and decided to try and power off the device using the proper method. The power button, so it powered down and would not come back on. So I pulled the battery. Guess what it came on after that. battery pull wins again lol...

Not really.

BB10 devices do not power-up with a momentary power button press, you need to hold the button until the red LED comes on.

Unfortunately the documentation fails because it should mention this, but it doesn't.
    02-22-14 11:32 PM
    I know you have to hold the power button down till you see the led light up red. After I powered it down it really would not come back on. I just thought it was funny considering I just read this thread.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:39 PM
    02-22-14 11:41 PM
    I know you have to hold the power button down till you see the led light up red. After I powered it down it really would not come back on. I just thought it was funny considering I just read this thread.

There are occasional reports of that, especially if the battery is completely discharged. (Actually a classic BlackBerry problem. Had that issue on my older devices too)

I have never experienced that issue personally with either of my Z10s.
    02-22-14 11:43 PM
    Personally I've never seen anything official that says that there's anything different between the restart on the countdown screen, holding the power buttons or holding the volume buttons. Hardware usually doesn't work that way. Holding down the power button or volume buttons during startup may do something special.

See the link in post #113 here.

Blackberry clearly draws a distinction, but doesn't really explain the distinction other than to suggest that a "Reset" (hold down power button for 10 seconds) is more significant than a "Restart". (hold power button down for 3 seconds and then click "Restart".
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    02-22-14 11:47 PM
    So after reading this info in this thread. I got scared to pull the battery and decided to try and power off the device using the proper method. The power button, so it powered down and would not come back on. So I pulled the battery. Guess what it came on after that. battery pull wins again lol... Q10 by the way, I just think it's in BlackBerry DNA to do battery pulls it makes it all right again. With bb10 devices it's a lot less likely that you will need to reboot. Seem very stable to me and fluid.

Posted via CB10
    I can't take my Z10 into work (no cameras allowed). So I shut it down with the power button and the 3 second countdown and leave it it my locker. When I leave work I just click the power button and it starts. Same procedure works on my DA-C, which is a Q10 in disguise.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 08:12 AM
    The developer Peter has said this many times, you can see the official thread on CB for this.

The reason you are seeing differences in estimated time to empty is because you do not understand how those tools work.

Battery Guru is using a figure derived from any BB10 OS, which is an average of power consumption over the most recently-measured 2-minute period.

The Device Monitor feature that CJH_ took a screenshot of just appeared in 10.2.1.1055 and above, (ie brand-new feature), and has the ability to average and graph results over a much longer timeframe.

Neither one is going to magically predict how long your battery will last, because you could put it to sleep and not touch it for the next 2 days, or you could start a marathon video viewing/game-playing session right this moment and not put the device down for 4 hours.

What Battery Guru is telling you in that screenshot is that assuming your usage is identical to the last 2 minute usage pattern, your battery will last "X days/hours".

What the Device Monitor is telling you (used in the way it was in CJH_'s screenshot), is that assuming your usage is identical to the usage pattern over the time period since the last battery charge, your battery will last "X days/hours".
    Even when my last charge was only 2 minutes ago, BG is still inaccurate compared to DM.

I'd like to run DM as an Active Frame to compare side-by-side.
    02-23-14 11:17 AM
    Holding the volume buttons doesn't work on all devices. If you think that those devices don't have the ability for a full reset the perhaps they're different.

Posted via CB10
    See the link in post #113 here.

Blackberry clearly draws a distinction, but doesn't really explain the distinction other than to suggest that a "Reset" (hold down power button for 10 seconds) is more significant than a "Restart". (hold power button down for 3 seconds and then click "Restart".
    preciate it.. so it seems that the volume buttons is just like a workaround/backup of the power button "reset", and the power button is the actual or suggested method...

for the longest I didn't even know about the power button and I was like, why do I always have to take a screenshot to reset my phone? lol...
    02-24-14 12:43 AM
    for the longest I didn't even know about the power button and I was like, why do I always have to take a screenshot to reset my phone? lol...

That's the main reason I'm not a big fan of that method - tired of the device getting cluttered-up by useless screenshots. Especially since the dumb simplistic Pictures app is so lousy at being able to choose what to view, and is easily spammed with recent, junk images that you don't care about, just because they're recent.
    02-24-14 04:57 AM
119 ... 345