10-23-13 02:31 AM
61 123
tools
    BlackBerrys' of past functionality has been greatly fixed sometimes with a good old fashion battery pull.

I have seen on numerous postings that its not a good idea to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device. However, I am yet to see the rational for advising against what was after all a stable solution to the post BlackBerry 10 devices.

Question: Why is it not recommended to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device?
    10-15-13 08:45 AM
    BlackBerrys' of past functionality has been greatly fixed sometimes with a good old fashion battery pull.

I have seen on numerous postings that its not a good idea to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device. However, I am yet to see the rational for advising against what was after all a stable solution to the post BlackBerry 10 devices.

Question: Why is it not recommended to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device?
    It souldn't cause any harm, if it does, then there is another issue for BB.

I would think that it's just like a hard reboot. The only thing I could think of is if you yank out the battery while the phone is in the "middle of something"/some process, but that still should not cause any issues.

c
    moyah8 likes this.
    10-15-13 08:51 AM
    WARNING: It is extremly dangerous to perform a battery pull on a Z30 device!!!

10-15-13 08:56 AM

Please provide proof of this.. rather than spouting your opinion without any.

Thanks.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-15-13 09:00 AM

Thanks.

Z30 does not have a removable battery, so some 'phone-surgery' would be required...
    10-15-13 09:09 AM
    I think a battery pull is harmless. I read somewhere that it should not be performed during boot-up though. No confirmation on that but I haven't pulled my battery in over 6 weeks. A hard reset works just fine when needed, which is a rare for me.

Posted via CB10 Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.575
    10-15-13 09:13 AM

Thanks.

Read it more closely. The Z30 doesn't have a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    Shrekmachine and BigBadWulf like this.
    10-15-13 09:13 AM
    I guess you guys go around pulling the plug on your computers and laptops to lol!! Not a huge deal but they advise against it because things can go wrong. BlackBerry 10 is more like a fully functional operating system so treat it like it.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf, Barljo, si001 and 1 others like this.
    10-15-13 09:15 AM

These are the sort of comments that I see... with no rational.

However, the more you see it the more one starts to believe it has some substance.
    10-15-13 09:15 AM
    If it's frozen and you can't soft boot via the top button or both volume keys, you don't have a choice, and it's doubtful anything bad would happen. If it's working, a battery pull could cause corruption to sectors. Not sure what risk there is in irreversible damage, but you'll be crap out of luck backing up before having to reload an OS.
    russworman likes this.
    10-15-13 09:20 AM
    Battery pulls are fine, I do it every single day when I swap batteries using my Z10 battery charger bundle. It doesn't do any harm whatsoever. It's just almost useless as a problem solving technique.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-15-13 11:50 AM

Thanks.

It was a joke. :facepalm.

Barljo and Shrekmachine like this.
    10-15-13 11:51 AM
    These are the sort of comments that I see... with no rational.

However, the more you see it the more one starts to believe it has some substance.
    It was a joke.

As stated, the Z30 does not have a user removable battery and would require disassembly of the phone with tools to get to it. Hence, the comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 11:52 AM
    Battery pulls are fine, I do it every single day when I swap batteries using my Z10 battery charger bundle. It doesn't do any harm whatsoever. It's just almost useless as a problem solving technique.

It's akin to being outside when there's lightening. Chances are you'll be fine, but there's enough of a possibility......

I always either let it drain to off, or shut it down first.
    10-15-13 12:38 PM

I always either let it drain to off, or shut it down first.
    Me too

10-15-13 03:08 PM
    It was a joke.

As stated, the Z30 does not have a user removable battery and would require disassembly of the phone with tools to get to it. Hence, the comment.

Posted via CB10
    Opps, I didn't get it at first. :-)

Well, my BB is working fine and I will avoid battery pull and treat it like a PC hard drive with sudden loss of power... which is NOT a good thing.
    10-15-13 04:00 PM
    Z30 does not have a removable battery, so some 'phone-surgery' would be required...
    I did not catch the z -30- part.. but still, no evidence of it being difficult or dangerous. ;D

10-15-13 05:39 PM
    Battery pulls are only risky if you're updating or messing with the OS. All it'll do is kill what you're doing.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 05:43 PM
    I have done 3 battery pulls a day on my z10 since launch, same with my Dev alpha device, and regularly do battery pulls on my q10 without any issues. I use the battery charging bundle to charge the batteries and then swap em out. I never charge my phone directly. If it was a bad idea then BlackBerry wouldn't have made the battery bundle.

Posted via CB10
    drewread likes this.
    10-15-13 07:07 PM
    Yank a battery on a laptop computer while it is running. See what happens...please turn off your BlackBerry 10 phones before pulling battery...

Trusted Member Genius
    10-15-13 07:18 PM

Thanks.

Ha-ha *Nelson Laugh*

Fired from my Z10
    Shrekmachine likes this.
    10-15-13 07:20 PM
    I've yanked my battery on my laptop several times (a few by accident and a few because it locked up) never had a problem. (aside from lost data lol)

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 07:50 PM
    I always shut my phone down before I yank my battery. Just a precaution I think is well worth it. I have had issues after pulling my battery that usually resulted in an OS reload.

Posted via CB10
    Shrekmachine likes this.
    10-15-13 09:01 PM
    For those that do not know the difference between a "soft boot" and a "hard boot", on any electronic device...including blackberries...

A hard boot is the the removal of ALL power to and within the device. Meaning unplugged from wall / or USB and battery removed.

The on/off switch is actuated to the "on" position, so any residual charge may then be 'dis-charged' from any internal components, such as capacitors, whose job is to hold a minute charge within itself.

Once that step is complete then the re-install of battery and/or re-application of electricity is done. Then finally turning on the device with power restored.

Do this and you have now performed a "hard boot'.

To achieve a 'soft boot', you leave the battery in or device supplied with electricity, then manipulate the reset button(s) according to that particular device.

Do this and you will have performed a "soft boot".

Now unless Blackberries have a built in function that ... with the battery left in...and the volume switches are manipulated in a reset fashion...causes all internal components like the capacitors to deplete themselves of any charge whatsoever, you are still merely performing a "soft boot".

I find it highly unlikely that the engineers would have added such a feature when it is not necessary.

But any Blackberry hardware engineers may please correct me if I'm wrong about Blackberries having that feature built in.

All in all, there should be no problem performing either. But as software is affected by a sudden 'spike' in the flow of electricity, it is best and safest to turn the device OFF before performing a "hard boot".

This is a safe rule of thumb for any electronic device. But PLEASE HEED all manufacturers warnings.
    eddy_berry and moyah8 like this.
    10-17-13 09:26 AM
    Never had any issue pulling the battery, but as a precaution if you feel uneasy about it, just power off your device first and then yank the battery.

That shouldn't do any damage at all to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 10:12 AM
61 123