Pulling the battery probably won't do anything bad, until you pull it when it is doing an update to an SQLite database or other critical file, which becomes corrupt as a result. What could corrupted database files do? Strange HUB behaviour, missing SMS, strangeness in the contacts app. . .

You can run stoplights and nothing bad will happen, until it does.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 04:23 PM
    Pulling the battery probably won't do anything bad, until you pull it when it is doing an update to an SQLite database or other critical file, which becomes corrupt as a result. What could corrupted database files do? Strange HUB behaviour, missing SMS, strangeness in the contacts app. . .

You can run stoplights and nothing bad will happen, until it does.

Posted via CB10
    And one does not always know what's going on in the background! So I guess, pulling should be avoided unless absolutely necessary (frozen device)!?
    10-18-13 07:45 AM
    And one does not always know what's going on in the background! So I guess, pulling should be avoided unless absolutely necessary (frozen device)!?
    Yeah that's about it. Once again, if you feel nervous about pulling the battery, shut off your device first and then do it. There shouldn't be any problems at all.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    10-18-13 08:14 PM
    BlackBerrys' of past functionality has been greatly fixed sometimes with a good old fashion battery pull.

I have seen on numerous postings that its not a good idea to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device. However, I am yet to see the rational for advising against what was after all a stable solution to the post BlackBerry 10 devices.

Question: Why is it not recommended to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device?
    I had my Z freeze up on me several times in legacy OS fashion... It got me back up and running every time... No harm done to my precious...

From the Z...
    10-18-13 08:26 PM
    It isn't dangerous, but It isn't good to do a lot either. I'm sure once in a blue moon is fine but you will always be running the risk of file corruption. If you need to everyday for a battery swap you should be shutting down first, but there may be that random time where you fumble and the back cover and battery pop out as it hits the floor or something. It can't be helped. Like the laptop thing. It happens where you might accidently pop out the battery while running on said battery. I'm sure it happens. If it happens once or twice you may still never have an issue. The third time might corrupt something you needed or even something the OS needed. I guess it depends on what it was doing at the time.
    10-18-13 08:58 PM
    However, I am yet to see the rational for advising against what was after all a stable solution to the post BlackBerry 10 devices.
    I chuckle at the term "stable solution", in reference to having to pull a device battery.

Thankfully, manufacturers try to protect users from themselves (via OS/software, hardware), if they choose to cut device power without warning. That doesn't mean you should do it on purpose as a routine.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 10:50 PM
    BlackBerrys' of past functionality has been greatly fixed sometimes with a good old fashion battery pull.

I have seen on numerous postings that its not a good idea to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device. However, I am yet to see the rational for advising against what was after all a stable solution to the post BlackBerry 10 devices.

Question: Why is it not recommended to do a battery pull on a BlackBerry 10 device?
    Hold down both volume buttons until your BB10 phone reboots; that's the equivalent of a physical battery pull.
    10-18-13 10:58 PM
    Battery pulls are fine, I do it every single day when I swap batteries using my Z10 battery charger bundle. It doesn't do any harm whatsoever. It's just almost useless as a problem solving technique.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    Hope you switch off first
    10-18-13 10:59 PM
    Doesn't cause a problem. I do it every time I have to put my spare BlackBerry battery in my Z10.

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.1.0.4181 on the Rogers Network
    10-18-13 11:16 PM
    The volume button hold is the functional equivalent of the old battery pull (btw, alt-shift-del does the same thing on legacy BBs).

The only time you would EVER need to pull the battery is if the phone didn't respond to the volume key hold (and on a Q5 or Z30 even that isn't an option.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-18-13 11:31 PM
    The volume button hold is the functional equivalent of the old battery pull (btw, alt-shift-del does the same thing on legacy BBs).

The only time you would EVER need to pull the battery is if the phone didn't respond to the volume key hold (and on a Q5 or Z30 even that isn't an option.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    Actually.. no it is not the same. As this point was made previously in these are both SOFT reboots, meaning that power is not removed from the device components.

A battery pull is a hard reboot - removing all power from the device components.

I find this whole thread funny, as BlackBerry support suggests that you pull the battery as part of their device
    Troubleshooting... even on new devices.

Until I see notice from BlackBerry that states otherwise I won't worry about pulling my battery, which I frequently do on my Zed while swapping batteries...

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    John Pawling likes this.
    10-20-13 02:58 PM
    Actually.. no it is not the same. As this point was made previously in these are both SOFT reboots, meaning that power is not removed from the device components.

A battery pull is a hard reboot - removing all power from the device components.

I find this whole thread funny, as BlackBerry support suggests that you pull the battery as part of their device
    Troubleshooting... even on new devices.

Until I see notice from BlackBerry that states otherwise I won't worry about pulling my battery, which I frequently do on my Zed while swapping batteries...

you sir have just made a good point regarding BlackBerry support page and recommendation.

However, the BlackBerry 10 is a whole new architecture from that of legacy devices, so surly the process is different!

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:25 PM
    you sir have just made. A good point regarding BlackBerry support page and recommendation.

However, the BlackBerry 10 is a whole new architecture from that of. Legacy devices, so surly the process is different!

Posted via CB10
    I'll quote myself "even on new devices"... as in bb10 devices to clarify.

The hardware people are the same... the software dev team was different.

10-20-13 05:28 PM
    I'll quote myself "even on new devices"... as in bb10 devices to clarify.

The hardware people are the same... the software dev team was different.

Do they actually advocate battery pull on the QNX devices?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:39 PM
    They have many times, yes.

10-20-13 07:53 PM
    If you read the Help app on the Z10 it does not recommend battery pulls and in fact shows the two recommended ways to restart or reset a BlackBerry 10 device

Battery pull - is it dangerous?-img_00000671.png

Posted via CB10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    10-20-13 08:07 PM
    They have many times, yes.

References, links?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 09:19 PM
    Looks like to me as long as one turns off the phone ( powers down ) there should be no problem.

I have had my Z10 for 7 months and have not had the back cover off, no drooped calls and no reboots.
    10-20-13 10:00 PM
    I run latest leaks so the phone sometimes runs hot and has fast battery rundown. When that occurs I switch off and do a battery pull and I'm ok for a few days. It seems like a reset without removing battery just starts up in same fast rundown mode so I go for battery pull.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 10:04 PM
    I run latest leaks so the phone sometimes runs hot and has fast battery rundown. When that occurs I switch off and do a battery pull and I'm ok for a few days. It seems like a reset without removing battery just starts up in same fast rundown mode so I go for battery pull.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't it running hot after a leak install because the phone is indexing. I usually let it run its course for the first hour until it settles itself down.
    10-20-13 10:21 PM
    References, links?

Posted via CB10
    Have an issue and phone support, they will recommend a battery pull.

Michael Clewley has also recommended such on his Twitter feed many times...

I do it every time I swap my zed battery, never had an issue...

10-21-13 07:56 AM

How do I do a Battery pull on my Z30 or Q5 then? Maybe they stopped with removable battery because you shouldn't have to and it's unnecessary.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 10:25 AM

There is a vast difference between what Micheal Clewley or BB support may recommend for specific circumstances and doing it on a regular basis.

There was a time in the early days of PCs when there was a engineering reason for removing power from a circuit for a time (to allow capcitors to drain). But that was because the reset logic was not properly propagated to all the various daughter cards from different suppliers that made up a PC. Also a time when all software ran system high so that a poorly written application could get hardware in a state from which only removing all power and forcing a power on reset would work. Long time users of MS Windows operating system will recognize that they are doing far fewer Ctl-Alt-Del or power off whil running sequences on Win 7 than on Win Xp or Win 3. IT support people will know that Win 7 is a far more stable OS than Win 3. Some of this is due to improvements in the software, a lot is due to the reduction in power removal while operating events.

When power is applied to an integrated circuit, especially one with as complex a structure as a "system on a chip" that are used in smartphones the state of all the memory and registers will have enough randomness that a reset sequence will have to take place. The idea of a difference between a "soft reset" and a "hard reset" presumes that the power on reset circuity and firmware does something different than the power on reset circuitry and firmware. Since the same power control chip provides the power on reset and the long press of the power button reset I would have to see an engineering report before I believed there was a difference. The instances when this is the case in a modern system are going to be very rare. Damage to data done by a battery pull may be rare as well. Someone suggested one in a 1000. But with millions of devices in the wild, if people start pulling the battery for every issue they encouter, one in a 1000 still becomes many per day.

Of course conversely if there are one in a 1000 cases that do need a battery pull that is also many per day. However is it not prudent to try those techniques documented in the help file first?

Finally, if battery removal is required for routine corrective action, what do Q5 and Z30 users do?
    10-21-13 10:44 AM
    There is a vast difference between what Micheal Clewley or BB support may recommend for specific circumstances and doing it on a regular basis.

There was a time in the early days of PCs when there was a engineering reason for removing power from a circuit for a time (to allow capcitors to drain). But that was because the reset logic was not properly propagated to all the various daughter cards from different suppliers that made up a PC. Also a time when all software ran system high so that a poorly written application could get hardware in a state from which only removing all power and forcing a power on reset would work. Long time users of MS Windows operating system will recognize that they are doing far fewer Ctl-Alt-Del or power off whil running sequences on Win 7 than on Win Xp or Win 3. IT support people will know that Win 7 is a far more stable OS than Win 3. Some of this is due to improvements in the software, a lot is due to the reduction in power removal while operating events.

When power is applied to an integrated circuit, especially one with as complex a structure as a "system on a chip" that are used in smartphones the state of all the memory and registers will have enough randomness that a reset sequence will have to take place. The idea of a difference between a "soft reset" and a "hard reset" presumes that the power on reset circuity and firmware does something different than the power on reset circuitry and firmware. Since the same power control chip provides the power on reset and the long press of the power button reset I would have to see an engineering report before I believed there was a difference. The instances when this is the case in a modern system are going to be very rare. Damage to data done by a battery pull may be rare as well. Someone suggested one in a 1000. But with millions of devices in the wild, if people start pulling the battery for every issue they encouter, one in a 1000 still becomes many per day.

Of course conversely if there are one in a 1000 cases that do need a battery pull that is also many per day. However is it not prudent to try those techniques documented in the help file first?

Finally, if battery removal is required for routine corrective action, what do Q5 and Z30 users do?
    Quite an exhausting yet informative post. It does answer the question on a very technical level.

Although, that 1 / 1000 still poses a risk which many may feel, "am ii that 1?"

Nonetheless, can risk ever be fully eradicated?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 11:15 AM
    Never take the battery out under water. It bricked my phone.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    10-21-13 01:51 PM
61 123