It's been a while, my Z30 is running for years now but it's breaking slowly apart so I wanted to backup and restore it to another Z30 in new condition with a still good battery. Backup seemed to work fine, but the restore doesn't. It says preparing device but nothing more happens. So I tried to turn on the newer phone and verify my Blackberry ID there but it can't connect to the server.

Is this a general problem - Are the Blackberry ID servers down and the platform is dead once and for all or is this a problem with my devices / network provider?
    04-09-20 11:50 AM
    It's been a while, my Z30 is running for years now but it's breaking slowly apart so I wanted to backup and restore it to another Z30 in new condition with a still good battery. Backup seemed to work fine, but the restore doesn't. It says preparing device but nothing more happens. So I tried to turn on the newer phone and verify my Blackberry ID there but it can't connect to the server.

Is this a general problem - Are the Blackberry ID servers down and the platform is dead once and for all or is this a problem with my devices / network provider?
    Just start fresh. If your contacts, email, calendar, and documents are synced to the cloud (as they should be), and your media is on your SD card (as it should be), you can be up and running in minutes on a clean device.
    04-09-20 12:50 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to avoid this because I'd lose all text messages, custom settings and apps of wich some are not available in Blackberry World anymore. Is the BBM still working btw or is this completely dead already?
    04-09-20 12:57 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I am hoping to avoid this because I'd lose all text messages, custom settings and apps of wich some are not available in Blackberry World anymore. Is the BBM still working btw or is this completely dead already?
    BlackBerry World hasn't been turned off yet, but developers can no longer update their apps, and paid apps have been removed.

There are SMS / phone log backup apps though.

I hated Link even when it worked (more or less) reliably, because it also backs-up and restores corruption too. The app truly was a mess at the best of times.
    04-09-20 01:06 PM
    If you have to ask if BBM is still working then you won't be needing it. No one is using it anymore. Thank goodness for other social messaging apps still working fine like telegram X or telegram, WhatApp, signal, messenger for Facebook ...... Not sure what else
    04-09-20 01:07 PM
    If you have to ask if BBM is still working then you won't be needing it. No one is using it anymore. Thank goodness for other social messaging apps still working fine like telegram X or telegram, WhatApp, signal, messenger for Facebook ...... Not sure what else
    Skype works fine too, even with video calling.
    04-10-20 06:07 PM
    Skype works fine too, even with video calling.
    Although it's a battery destroyer, and can turn the device into a griddle.
    04-10-20 06:35 PM
    Although it's a battery destroyer, and can turn the device into a griddle.
    Sure, but when you need to cook some pancakes and bacon on the go, it's great!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-10-20 09:29 PM
    On BB10, Works good enough for me. BBMe for Android and IOS though for a small fee, I'd consider it the cost of 1 stamp a month to keep stuff going for single users...got it going on both platforms for periodic critical contacts. I really don't want Facebook etc having a respository of all my messaging with all people. I don't remember all the messages i've sent that a "free app" will. Its more than creepy that a corporation can know, and remember everything, that you don't want them to, and that you can't.
    04-11-20 03:03 AM
    On BB10, Works good enough for me. BBMe for Android and IOS though for a small fee, I'd consider it the cost of 1 stamp a month to keep stuff going for single users...got it going on both platforms for periodic critical contacts. I really don't want Facebook etc having a respository of all my messaging with all people. I don't remember all the messages i've sent that a "free app" will. Its more than creepy that a corporation can know, and remember everything, that you don't want them to, and that you can't.
    If you're referring to WhatsApp, it uses full end-to-end encryption using Open Whisper. No one will know the contents of your messages. Just don't backup to Google Drive if you are not comfortable with the security of your Google account.
    04-11-20 07:05 AM
    BlackBerry World hasn't been turned off yet, but developers can no longer update their apps, and paid apps have been removed.

There are SMS / phone log backup apps though.

I hated Link even when it worked (more or less) reliably, because it also backs-up and restores corruption too. The app truly was a mess at the best of times.
    I'm still seeing paid apps for sale in BlackBerry World on my Z30 (haven't checked my Z10 or Q10). I'd wonder what happens if I try to buy them, probably errors out.
    04-11-20 03:10 PM
    I'm still seeing paid apps for sale in BlackBerry World on my Z30 (haven't checked my Z10 or Q10). I'd wonder what happens if I try to buy them, probably errors out.
    That's right. Tap "buy" and you'll see what happens.
    04-11-20 03:13 PM
    I want to thank you guys for your input especially the sms backup sounds great. I see I also can copy the playlists so whenever time allows it I'll try to migrate just one thing: I don't see a file for the "Favourites" Playlist, is there a way to copy that manually to another phone?

And yes I didn't use BBM for ages but I loved it and it was the best messenger I had. Does Telegram work on BB10?

And the big question is: what if the backup phone dies? Sailfish OS? Anybody already tried the alternatives when one wants to avoid both android and iOS?
    04-12-20 11:56 AM
    Does Telegram work on BB10?
    Yes, it does work, at least for now.
    04-12-20 12:20 PM
    The only thing that I've never been able to do is back up BBM chats beyond a few hundred messages. I have huge chats going back for years with no way to export them (of which I'm aware, anyway)

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    04-12-20 12:55 PM
    The only thing that I've never been able to do is back up BBM chats beyond a few hundred messages. I have huge chats going back for years with no way to export them (of which I'm aware, anyway)

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    This was always a major flaw in BBM as far as I was concerned, not the only one by any means but one of the worst.
    04-13-20 02:05 PM