Do I have to decrypt my phone before I do a backup? Will a backup restore properly if the phone was encrypted when I did the backup?

Posted using my Z30 via CB10
    11-02-14 05:43 PM
    I think unless you're required to have it encrypted, it's better to turn it off. You will have issues doing a device switch, especially if your current phone takes a crap, among other potential problems with storage.
    crazigee likes this.
    11-02-14 06:37 PM
    I think unless you're required to have it encrypted, it's better to turn it off. You will have issues doing a device switch, especially if your current phone takes a crap, among other potential problems with storage.
    Thanks.

11-02-14 08:16 PM
    Yes Link will backup your phone fine if it is encrypted. Encrypting your main phone will not have any impact on a device switch. Ebcrypting your storage card, while a good idea to protect your data, can cause the pains already described here and others if you aren't prepared for them.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-02-14 08:54 PM
    Yes Link will backup your phone fine if it is encrypted. Encrypting your main phone will not have any impact on a device switch. Ebcrypting your storage card, while a good idea to protect your data, can cause the pains already described here and others if you aren't prepared for them.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1016
    Correct, I should have said "could have switch issues". Unless you're DoD, or other high security institution, why take the risk, when a simple password will protect your info from virtually anyone but the CIA, LoL.
    11-02-14 09:05 PM
    Correct, I should have said "could have switch issues". Unless you're DoD, or other high security institution, why take the risk, when a simple password will protect your info from virtually anyone but the CIA, LoL.
    Are the backup files themselves password protected?

11-02-14 09:16 PM
    There's no way I'm aware of, to extract information from a BB10 backup. There's also no way of installing it on another phone, unless said phone is signed into the same BBID. It's BlackBerry. Security is their business.
    11-02-14 10:10 PM
    There's no way I'm aware of, to extract information from a BB10 backup. There's also no way of installing it on another phone, unless said phone is signed into the same BBID. It's BlackBerry. Security is their business.
    Excellent. So basically as long as my BBID is secured with a strong password I'm good.

11-02-14 10:18 PM
    Are the backup files themselves password protected?

Not password protection, but it's encrypted in some way. Don't think you can open .bbb (the .bbb file you can, but not the files inside)
    11-03-14 04:22 AM