Should I have an app to back up my QIo?

 The Beast BB Q1o 
    04-20-16 08:15 PM
    Always a good idea to make regular back-ups. What you need would depend on how you use your phone. Some things like browser bookmarks and word substitute can only be backed up by Link. Most other things can be backed up by one of several apps available in App World. If you use android games, Cobalt has a solution for many of them, in the Android apk forum.
    semime likes this.
    04-20-16 08:33 PM
    If you value your data and you'd like to spare (or at least minimize) the agony of dealing with some type of device failure/ catastrophe or hiccup then absolutely.

Ultimate Backup by Runisoft or Backup Pro by Fire Chest Apps are great comprehensive choices and allow scheduled backups. Both have proven themselves to me and Runisoft remains an active committed BB10 developer. As BigBadWulf mentioned, some things are only capable of being backed up using Link. A nice workaround for your bookmarks though is Bookmarks Pro, also by Fire Chest Apps.

You'll find a variety of selective backup options available in BBW depending upon your needs.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-20-16 08:55 PM
    Totally agree with every suggestion semime, but if you're as steeped in years of bookmarks and word substitute like me, Link is the only viable option. I did make BlackBerry aware they need to add those to what transfers, so one day I can go GooBerry.
    04-20-16 09:03 PM
    Tnx guys

 The Beast BB Q1o 
    semime and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-20-16 09:09 PM
    Oh, no question. I didn't mean to imply BB Link had no role or intend to contradict your message, BigBadWulf. Full Link backups are essential to my routine. I intended only to make specific mention of the backup apps I've personal experience with and which complement my Link archives. I probably should have made that more clear.

For me, the convenience of scheduled apps provide reassurance to the more subtle dynamic changes that occur on my phone ( contacts, Calendar, notes, etc). Link is reserved providing full coverage during significant changes, for example an OS upgrade/downgrade mostly because of the time involved in performing them.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-20-16 09:35 PM
    Didn't take it as contradiction at all . I have both apps you mentioned installed, but can't for the life of me remember when last I used them . I use email for my contact and calendar management. Notes are all handled by Evernote through Remember.

One of the strengths of BB10 is how well you can set yourself up to not worry about most critical personal data. One of the weaknesses is bookmarks and word substitute API never being made available to developers. The other weakness being Link never having offered gradients that I find meaningful.
    semime likes this.
    04-20-16 10:00 PM