Hello
    I have a question - what application to backup (SMS, email, calendar, contacts, etc.)
    Thank you
    09-26-20 02:26 PM
    Hello
    I have a question - what application to backup (SMS, email, calendar, contacts, etc.)
    Thank you
    Well, the best one is Ultimate Backup but you have to pay for that (there is a web site from Runisoft dev for that) but there are a few other free alternatives in BBW. You will have to try them to see which one you like. Anyway, I use Ultimate.
    09-26-20 03:05 PM
    For email/calendar/contacts, consider syncing to the cloud (Gmail, Outlook, etc) if you don't already.

Sms Backup is good for texts.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-20 03:19 PM
    SMS backup worked for me for Z10.
    09-26-20 03:34 PM
    And a copy of the system what
    09-27-20 04:06 AM
    And a copy of the system what
    For system backup, use the backup that is in BlackBerry Manager/Link.
    09-27-20 06:27 AM
    I mean a copy of the system when in January 2022 they turn off BlackBerry Manager / Link.
    09-27-20 06:38 AM
    I mean a copy of the system when in January 2022 they turn off BlackBerry Manager / Link.
    I am not sure if BlackBerry Link/Manager requires and internet connection back to BlackBerry servers in order to work for doing backups. Would be an interesting "test".
    09-27-20 06:55 AM
    Requires internet connection checked
    sorry for my English
    09-27-20 06:57 AM
    Make sure your contacts/texts/pics etc are all backed up manually on sd card and/or cloud (preferably both) THEN use an autoloader to completely wipe and renew the OS. Then restore your data. Pretty simple but time-consuming.
    09-27-20 12:09 PM
    Manually how e.g. contacts ,
    I am asking simple questions, but I am asking for your understanding
    thank you
    Last edited by Marekf; 09-27-20 at 12:46 PM.
    09-27-20 12:13 PM
    Manually how e.g. contacts ,
    I am asking simple questions, but I am asking for your understanding
    thank you
    Contacts and Calendar --> Use a gmail or an outlook email account, and then have it synch contacts and calendar. If you were previously storing your contacts and calendar on the phone locally, it let's you copy them to one of your accounts.

Pictures and Videos --> Use the built-in file manager to copy onto the SD card.

System Backup --> Use BlackBerry Link/Manager to do a backup.

I think the BB10 tutorials for all of those are still on the internet.
    09-27-20 03:45 PM
    I am not sure if BlackBerry Link/Manager requires and internet connection back to BlackBerry servers in order to work for doing backups. Would be an interesting "test".
    The answer to that is a simple "NO" BlackBerry Link does not need a Internet connection or a signed-in status to do a full and or custom backup, the same applies to a restore as well as devise "switch"!

Doing so all the time on a old offline win-XP laptop exactly for that purpose on my regular monthly backup process without any issues. Actually making a regular backup from my daily driver BlackBerry Classic and clone that latest backup as a "device switch" to a new classic that has never seen a SIM card so far... the only thing to keep in mind is that all devices involved need to be activated on the same BlackBerry ID, that's all.

For doing a backup select custom backup with all binarys "app's" including so the backup file will copy all app's in to that backup too... a restore or device switch will clone the other device 1:1 with all settings and the lot... usually creating a backup-file in size around 3.5GB yep a full clone is possible without Internet or server connection to BlackBerry infrastructure.

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    anon(10707129) likes this.
    09-28-20 10:07 AM
    The answer to that is a simple "NO" BlackBerry Link does not need a Internet connection or a signed-in status to do a full and or custom backup, the same applies to a restore as well as devise "switch"!....
    I was pretty sure that was the situation, but was not certain. Note that there is another post in this thread that says the opposite.
    09-28-20 04:25 PM
    I was pretty sure that was the situation, but was not certain. Note that there is another post in this thread that says the opposite.
    Well someone would still need the "device password" (if set on the device) to singe in to the phone to allow any sort of backup software to access the mobiles data nevertheless.
    May that's where the confusion coming from ;-)
    But neither BlackBerry Link nor DBBT need a active internal connection to a BlackBerry server to verify the BlackBerry ID to be enabled to do backup/restore business... the idea of having a sign in routine in BlackBerry Link is to allow that software to draw the needed app's from BBW connected with the BlackBerry ID for checking any newer updates and other BlackBerry services to work with the phone, if this are not included in a backup file or being lost to do manage a factory restore and additional security... but in generally not needed for routine backup/restore.

So therefore I strongly recommend to keep a generation of "full backup files with absolutely everything incurred " for every device in your stock and use! For that BlackBerry Link is sufficient but DBBT got that extra edge because it allows to restore app's and app Data to be restored individually while BlackBerry Link just restore everything... well doing a custom backup/restore allows to select individual app's to include or exclude app's but very simplified only...

All the so called backup-apps in BBW are only able to restore "some" app-data from installed app's and system settings but non of them are really convincing in my opinion, they all got their quirks one or the other way.. some will do a good job for email/calendar/contact. Data to safe for convenience but don't count on it as reliable tools (tried out all of them since 2013)... most of this backup-app's are waste of space... my two pence on that... the only reliable way for doing a good backup is BlackBerry Link and DBBT (more of a perfect tool additional to BB-Link to do what BB-L can't do or wasn't designed for to do)... have fun ;-)

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    anon(10707129) likes this.
    09-29-20 02:19 AM