Swapping devices from old Passport to new Passport. Any advice on backing up my encrypted Passport , ie, do I need to decrypt my device first. Was going to decrypt my memory card and throw over any files I need to keep to that.

To be fair I'm not fussed about backing up, it's more belt and braces. I have my contacts synced with outlook as is calender events. Most files I need or important ones are in dropbox so essentially it's a case of getting photos and vids onto the memory card.

As for games and apps I'll just re download them. Not bothered about game saves really.

Posted by Passport on bb10 but not sure for how much longer!
    01-09-16 04:35 PM
    You will absolutely need to decrypt your SDCARD.

Other than that I would do a backup with Link. If that works for you, then the new device wizard should take care of everything. If not then you have a backup.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-09-16 05:35 PM
    Cheers, decrypting the sd card as we speak. Struggling with link though. It won't open the program.

01-09-16 05:49 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can backup files on sd card to an encrypted archive also on sd card then you can copy the encrypted backups to a laptop or even if your BlackBerry phone supports usb on the go (passport, classic, z30?) an attached usb stick?
    Youd do need however to use a bb10 backup app to backup like this.

you could also try connecting two passports together using usb otg and a file manager but I suspect that might not work.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 06:03 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can backup files on sd card to an encrypted archive also on sd card then you can copy the encrypted backups to a laptop or even if your BlackBerry phone supports usb on the go (passport, classic, z30?) an attached usb stick?
    Youd do need however to use a bb10 backup app to backup like this.

you could also try connecting two passports together using usb otg and a file manager but I suspect that might not work.

Posted via CB10
    The key to decrypt the SDCARD is only available on the phone where the SDCARD is encrypted. It you don't decrypt the SDCARD first, and the key isn't transferred to the new phone you won't be able to decrypt the SDCARD on the new phone. That's okay if you haven't wiped the old phone yet, bad otherwise.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-09-16 07:52 PM
    The key to decrypt the SDCARD is only available on the phone where the SDCARD is encrypted. It you don't decrypt the SDCARD first, and the key isn't transferred to the new phone you won't be able to decrypt the SDCARD on the new phone. That's okay if you haven't wiped the old phone yet, bad otherwise.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    So, if someone erases a BB10 phone with an encrypted SD card before decrypting the card, it means it's contents are lost forever? No way to access it / decrypt even at the same phone and with some sort of device password usage?

Is there an option to backup encryption keys, I case of a hardware failure that kills your ability to use the origial phone to descript the SD card?

Or, well, I guess just backup up its cotents from time to time into a secure location, location that can be decrypted or not...

:-)

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 06:23 AM
    So, if someone erases a BB10 phone with an encrypted SD card before decrypting the card, it means it's contents are lost forever? No way to access it / decrypt even at the same phone and with some sort of device password usage?
    Yes, that is all correct.

Is there an option to backup encryption keys, I case of a hardware failure that kills your ability to use the origial phone to descript the SD card?
    No, but there are ways to back up the encrypted content from the card to another location.

Or, well, I guess just backup up its cotents from time to time into a secure location, location that can be decrypted or not...

:-)

Posted via CB10
    That's the idea.
    01-10-16 10:26 AM
    So far decrypted the sd card and swapped every file that isn't in cloud storage over to that. BlackBerry link is a waste of time, can't get it to install on both Linux machines I have running xp in a virtual machine. It did work on one of them but now that crashes!

I think I'm going to take a chance and hope all my contacts come back when I sync my email accounts.

Wish me luck

01-10-16 02:22 PM
    Link and XP never really worked, partially because of the operating system's limited support for IPv6 and partially because it came from a different Era of technology. You'll never find a Linux version of it for various reasons, such as the large number of X11 systems to support, the general Linux anathema to proprietary software, and the miniscule number of desktop installs compared to servers.

The SD card key is randomly generated by the device install so that if a handset is wiped it will generate a new encryption key for the handset and has no way of accessing the previous keys.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 05:44 AM
    Yes, that is all correct.

No, but there are ways to back up the encrypted content from the card to another location.

That's the idea.
    Thanks for the feedback and confirmations. I will send the bad news to my friend....hope that next time he is more careful. He did his Passport swipe using Link so I guess never got that alert / note about encrypted SD cards we have when doing the security erase from the phone itself. Oh life.....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-13-16 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the feedback and confirmations. I will send the bad news to my friend....hope that next time he is more careful. He did his Passport swipe using Link so I guess never got that alert / note about encrypted SD cards we have when doing the security erase from the phone itself. Oh life.....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    When you encrypt the SDCARD the phone supplies very clear messages about what will happen if the phone is lost, destroyed or wiped before the data on the SDCARD is decrypted. This is what you get with very secure systems. Any way of recovering from a mistake weakens the security of the system.
    01-13-16 10:32 AM
    Link and XP never really worked, partially because of the operating system's limited support for IPv6 and partially because it came from a different Era of technology. You'll never find a Linux version of it for various reasons, such as the large number of X11 systems to support, the general Linux anathema to proprietary software, and the miniscule number of desktop installs compared to servers.

The SD card key is randomly generated by the device install so that if a handset is wiped it will generate a new encryption key for the handset and has no way of accessing the previous keys.

Posted via CB10
    True, I've been messing with Sachesi as an alternative. Tbh I ended up just using what I already had on the device and to its credit seems to have worked flawless.

Unencrypted the Sd card and spent an evening swapping over from device to card. Most things were in dropbox anyway other than stuff I needed access to in areas with no data signal. Contacts and calender synced with outlook and apps was just a case of downloading again and signing in with my user/passwords which were stored in password keeper.

Took a couple of hours from start to finish to have a phone pretty much identical to the old one. only thing I lost was settings but hey, it's good to have a little run through settings now and again. Makes you feel like you've got a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 05:16 PM

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I don't think you understand me.

A backup app running on the phone can backup the many hundred files on encrypted sd to just one file or at least significantly fewer files . You will need 50% free space on sd card to try this.
    That one file or one backup directory can be encrypted by completely different means and most conveniently by the backup app.
    The backup on the sd card can be moved onto a usb stick plugged into the phone with a USB OTG cable.
    Why not just backup onto the stick? I dont think the backup apps available support that?... but most will support encrypted backup to dropbox or similar cloud (with encryption) so theres yet another way......

Ultimate Backup and Backup pro are two backup apps, Im sure there will be more.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 06:30 PM