I have a Blackberry Q10 acquired about two weeks ago. Software on the phone is 10.1.0.2030. I am attempting to get four email accounts all hosted at the same host (JaguarPC.com) to intgrate with IMAP on the phone. The four accounts are from four different URLs and happen to be on four different servers.

Three of the accounts IMAP works perfectly and self-configured in less than 15 seconds via the BB10 software. The fourth will only configure as POP. So I can send and receive email, but I can't use IMAP features on this fourth account (no ability to file messages in my own file tree).

After much back-and-forth, Jaguar support and myself have worked out there appears to be only one important difference. The three accounts that work use the "Courier" mail server software and the one that does not uses the "Dovecot" mail server. Using SSL or not, the problem 4th account will not connect via IMAP ports even if I precisely duplicate the settings that work on the Courier accounts.

Ignoring for a moment the possible work-around of moving the site over to a server with Courier installed....

Has anyone out there been able to get a Q10 to do IMAP on a Dovecot-based mail installation? If you were able to do it, can you share how? I've attached what the Q10 returns when trying to connect. I get the same result whether I use port 993 (IMAP SSL) or port 143 (IMAP no SSL).

I don't know if it helps, but Jaguar support has confirmed Blackberry FastMail is enabled on the Dovecot installation.

Thanks,
    David

(If you want to tell which server you're using, telnet to mail.[domainname] port 110. Towards the end of the lengthy response it will either say "Dovecot ready" or "Courier-IMAP ready")
    Last edited by zocster; 11-23-13 at 09:13 PM. Reason: deleted personal information.
    11-23-13 05:23 PM
    Hi David, have removed your email info for personal 'safety'.

Dovecot supports IMAP if configured correctly.
    11-23-13 09:16 PM
    Hi David, have removed your email info for personal 'safety'.

Dovecot supports IMAP if configured correctly.
    Thanks for your concern on the email, but it's a public org so my email is plenty public already. That's why I didn't mind posting it.

I can connect IMAP to Dovecot within Thunderbird, for example, just not via my Blackberry. Can you share any configuration tips for making it compatible with my Q10? I'd love to be able to pass these along to the support team at Jaguar. They are as eager to solve this as I am.

Thanks,
    David
    11-23-13 09:33 PM
    Gimme 48 hours thanks.
    11-23-13 10:41 PM
    Sorry for late reply. Would you be able to ask your admin at jaguarpc what flavour of linux is your particular email is hosted at?
    11-25-13 12:01 AM
    And on a sidenote get a update for your phone... If you can
    11-25-13 12:05 AM
    Sorry for late reply. Would you be able to ask your admin at jaguarpc what flavour of linux is your particular email is hosted at?
    Apache 2.2.25 judging from my Cpanel. I'll ping support to confirm.
    11-25-13 09:14 AM
    Apache 2.2.25 judging from my Cpanel. I'll ping support to confirm.
    That would be the Apache version. At the console, an admin can use "uname -a" to get the Linux information. Not sure how relevant that is, though. What is this 4th domain you're trying to connect to?
    11-25-13 09:23 AM
    I run my own IMAP server on Linux/Dovecot and wrap it in SSL its not issue. I've be doing it since release day. A possible suggestion do an advanced setup on the BB as that's how I had to get mine to work. (I have a very complex setup that I wouldn't expect the "wizard" to ever figure out.) If you want specific versions of dovecot. I can let you know later.
    11-25-13 09:24 AM
    I run my own IMAP server on Linux/Dovecot and wrap it in SSL its not issue. I've be doing it since release day. A possible suggestion do an advanced setup on the BB as that's how I had to get mine to work. (I have a very complex setup that I wouldn't expect the "wizard" to ever figure out.) If you want specific versions of dovecot. I can let you know later.
    I do the same, but with Courier but used Dovecot for quite some time.

The reason for asking the domain was to run tests and suggest manual settings as suggested by berserko.
    11-25-13 09:38 AM
    CentOS release 6.4 64 bit
    11-25-13 09:38 AM
    I do the same, but with Courier but used Dovecot for quite some time.

The reason for asking the domain was to run tests and suggest manual settings as suggested by berserko.
    mapleleafcommunity.org is the domain. I've attempted both automatic (which does connect via POP) and manual. I have tried every variant of the other three accounts as displayed in my BB10 screens plus a few dozen more. Happy to try others, however.
    11-25-13 09:40 AM
    mapleleafcommunity.org is the domain. I've attempted both automatic (which does connect via POP) and manual. I have tried every variant of the other three accounts as displayed in my BB10 screens plus a few dozen more. Happy to try others, however.
    Looks like Dovecot will accept a plain auth (no SSL) or StartTLS at that server. Port 993 is closed. Try a manual setup using port 143 for IMAP and StartTLS. The same for SMTP, use StartTLS on port 25. Give that a shot and let me know how you fare.
    11-25-13 09:45 AM
    Port 110 is POP3. What happens if you telnet to port 145 (IMAP)?

Also, what happens if you uncheck the SSL box? Not recommended, but it helps for debugging.
    11-25-13 09:51 AM
    Looks like Dovecot will accept a plain auth (no SSL) or StartTLS at that server. Port 993 is closed. Try a manual setup using port 143 for IMAP and StartTLS. The same for SMTP, use StartTLS on port 25. Give that a shot and let me know how you fare.
    Tried that previously and again just now, no joy. We're pretty much down to perhaps the Dovecot config on the server, which hopefully zocster can provide some insights I can share with the support team at my host provider.
    11-25-13 10:02 AM
    Tried that previously and again just now, no joy. We're pretty much down to perhaps the Dovecot config on the server, which hopefully zocster can provide some insights I can share with the support team at my host provider.
    It just seems bizarre because there's nothing special about how BB10 uses the IMAP protocol. When entering your user information, are you using your full email address as the username or just the local part (before the @)? Are you able to connect to this server using IMAP from a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird?
    11-25-13 10:05 AM
    Yep, he said tbird is ok w the imap

It just seems bizarre because there's nothing special about how BB10 uses the IMAP protocol. When entering your user information, are you using your full email address as the username or just the local part (before the @)? Are you able to connect to this server using IMAP from a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird?
    11-25-13 10:30 AM
    Yep, he said tbird is ok w the imap
    and mirroring this config on the device doesn't replicate the result?
    11-25-13 10:59 AM
    Using full email address, just like the other three and just like the Thunderbird setups -- which works fine. What's odd about it all is that it seems to be a problem unique to Dovecot. The other three email addresses I have at the same host (and whose servers coincidentally all use Courier) work fine.
    11-25-13 11:01 AM
    and mirroring this config on the device doesn't replicate the result?
    Nope. Welcome to my strange little world... lol
    11-25-13 11:02 AM
    Dave, without physically working on the server I can't do much from here, as dovecot is natively imap. Has to be some error in one of the. Conf files.
    11-25-13 11:50 AM
    Answers: Dovecot IMAP indexes are getting locked by Blackberry devices maybe this could help. Pretty sure this is bis related but...
    11-25-13 12:02 PM
    Dave, without physically working on the server I can't do much from here, as dovecot is natively imap. Has to be some error in one of the. Conf files.
    I understand. Is there such a thing as a reference config that works with BB10/Dovecot I could share with the support guys?

I don't suppose there is anyone else on here who hosts their site at JaguarPC.com and has their BB10 working on a Dovecot installation? If so, I could point their support guys to that and they could take a look at any differences.
    11-25-13 12:04 PM
    OK, I've made a little progress.

The only item in the advanced IMAP setup on the Q10 I hadn't fooled with is the "IMAP Path Prefix". I asked my web host what it was, and they answered "INBOX"

I added that in and it connected via IMAP!!!!!

Unfortunately, when I go in to "Edit Folder Settings" (which never appeared previously) none of my folders are in there (just the default BB ones).

Any ideas?

David
    11-25-13 10:27 PM
    OK, I've made a little progress.

The only item in the advanced IMAP setup on the Q10 I hadn't fooled with is the "IMAP Path Prefix". I asked my web host what it was, and they answered "INBOX"

I added that in and it connected via IMAP!!!!!

Unfortunately, when I go in to "Edit Folder Settings" (which never appeared previously) none of my folders are in there (just the default BB ones).

Any ideas?

David
    In the email account settings configuration chose Edit Account followed by Edit Folder Settings. You can select which IMAP folders to synchronise. If Dovecot supports IMAP IDLE then email delivery to your smartphone will be almost instantaneous.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-26-13 04:34 AM
27 12