The last I heard about this was that BB10 has a setting to turn auto-text, aka Word Substitution on or off. I'm wondering whether anyone with a Dev device has played with this and can talk about how it works.

In BBOS, I found that auto-text didn't really work well with predictive text, so I kept auto-text on and predictive text off. I'd like to know whether BB10 has some way for the two features to play nice together.

Also, assuming that auto-text is really there, is it going to be possible to load our auto-text lists from old BBDM backup files?
    01-18-13 12:47 PM
    BlackBerry OS 10 has not been released and you already want to know about BlackBerry OS 19? One step at a time.
    01-18-13 02:59 PM
    Also, assuming that auto-text is really there, is it going to be possible to load our auto-text lists from old BBDM backup files?
    Never happened in the past with BBOS upgrades between base versions therefore no reason to expect this feature as you move from BBOS5/6/7 to BBOS10. Sorry, the database schema is like shifting sands in the desert...unpredictable and ever-moving.
    01-18-13 03:02 PM
    Never happened in the past with BBOS upgrades between base versions therefore no reason to expect this feature as you move from BBOS5/6/7 to BBOS10. Sorry, the database schema is like shifting sands in the desert...unpredictable and ever-moving.
    False. I was able to port my auto-text lists across all previous BBOS upgrades, from OS 5 to 6 to 7. I never lost them.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    01-22-13 02:07 PM
    Waking this one up - is word substitution included in BB10?
    ubizmo likes this.
    01-31-13 02:47 PM
    it does not appear so
    02-06-13 11:43 AM
    It is, see How to use Word Substitution on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Sadly, it doesn't seem to allow multi-line substitutions (ie no carriage return option) in the substituted text.
    02-06-13 09:34 PM
    It is, see How to use Word Substitution on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Sadly, it doesn't seem to allow multi-line substitutions (ie no carriage return option) in the substituted text.
    Also doesn't work in SMS messages but there is a knowledge base article for this so it seems blackberry know about it.
    02-07-13 12:41 AM
    I like auto correct. But sometimes i type word and it's what I want. It thinks I want something else and it puts that suggested word in the space bar. So I can't make a space without changing the word. How do I leave word substitution on but when a word is in the space bar i sometimes want to make a space and not change my word to the suggested word.
    02-07-13 03:27 AM
    I like auto correct. But sometimes i type word and it's what I want. It thinks I want something else and it puts that suggested word in the space bar. So I can't make a space without changing the word. How do I leave word substitution on but when a word is in the space bar i sometimes want to make a space and not change my word to the suggested word.
    In BBOS, if you didn't want a word substitution you could backspace, which would undo it, and then continue typing, and it would leave the unsubstituted string there. I don't know if it works that way in BB10 but it's worth a try.

Also, I'm still not clear whether auto-correct in BB10 is the same thing as word substitution, or something different. In BBOS I was able to delete all the built-in auto-correct entries and put in my own personal shorthand. For example, if I typed 'sc', it would substitute "second". But suppose I wanted just SC, to refer to South Carolina. In that case I could do what I described above: let it to the substitution, backspace to undo it, then type on, leaving SC in place. It's an extra step, but I'd only create a word sub entry if 90% of the time I'd want the substitution to occur.

It would be nice if someone could try this and let us know how it works.
    02-07-13 09:02 AM
    word substitution and auto-correct are 2 different things.

the autocorrect on the z10 is amazing. i can see the letters i'm typing are not even letters from the word i want to type, but somehow, it figures it out!

word subsitution is if you have a word you type like, "hr", you then want it to display "hour" instead. or if you type "min", then it will subsitute "minute" or whatever you choose it to be. You could even do this, type "happy" and it will change to "" if you set it to that.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-07-13 10:26 AM
    Word Substitution on BB10 no longer works the way it did previously. Previously you were able to substitute "abc" for a paragraph or description and keep it formatted the way you want it.
    example:
    "Price for member ships:

1 class = $50.00
    2 classes = $98.00
    3 classes = $140.00"

On bb10, word substitution displays your desired text like so:

"Price for member ships 1 class = $50.00 2 classes = $100.00 3 classes = $140.00"

I shows up as a huge run on sentence and looses the format that you desire. I use word substitution daily for several emails that I get, that require the same response. This was a huge asset for me in the past that seems to be no longer available. I have actually switched back to my Torch and am hoping this is resolved quickly so I can start using the my z10 again
    02-07-13 11:30 AM
    word substitution and auto-correct are 2 different things.

the autocorrect on the z10 is amazing. i can see the letters i'm typing are not even letters from the word i want to type, but somehow, it figures it out!

word subsitution is if you have a word you type like, "hr", you then want it to display "hour" instead. or if you type "min", then it will subsitute "minute" or whatever you choose it to be. You could even do this, type "happy" and it will change to "" if you set it to that.
    Thank you. It seems that auto-correct and word sub wouldn't work well together, since auto-correct would try to correct abbreviations. I'm not so clear on how well word sup will work with predictive text.
    02-07-13 12:08 PM
    Swipe up from the space bar.
    02-07-13 01:57 PM
    I'm not having any issues between the word substitution and the predictive text, but I am disappointed it no longer works with smart case.. ie. if you setup u = you, it works, but if you type a u or even a U as the beginning of a sentence it still displays you and not You as it used to .
    02-07-13 02:19 PM
    False. I was able to port my auto-text lists across all previous BBOS upgrades, from OS 5 to 6 to 7. I never lost them.
    Nice, did you use ATBackup or just Link? Does Word Substitution support multi-paragraph substitutions that retain carriage returns?
    02-07-13 07:53 PM
    Word Substitution on BB10 no longer works the way it did previously. Previously you were able to substitute "abc" for a paragraph or description and keep it formatted the way you want it.
    example:
    "Price for member ships:

1 class = $50.00
    2 classes = $98.00
    3 classes = $140.00"

On bb10, word substitution displays your desired text like so:

"Price for member ships 1 class = $50.00 2 classes = $100.00 3 classes = $140.00"

I shows up as a huge run on sentence and looses the format that you desire. I use word substitution daily for several emails that I get, that require the same response. This was a huge asset for me in the past that seems to be no longer available. I have actually switched back to my Torch and am hoping this is resolved quickly so I can start using the my z10 again
    Total Deal Breaker. I actually can't even find this functionality on Android either. Can't believe I'm considering iPhone.
    02-07-13 07:56 PM
    Total Deal Breaker. I actually can't even find this functionality on Android either. Can't believe I'm considering iPhone.
    There is an AutoText keyboard available for download. I'm trying to catch it on sale so I can try it. I definitely miss AutoText, I had a huge number of them.
    02-07-13 08:18 PM
    You won't find it on an iPhone (at least I couldn't earlier this year!).
    02-07-13 11:42 PM
    Also doesn't work in SMS messages but there is a knowledge base article for this so it seems blackberry know about it.
    Exactly. Known issue. They're working on it. See:

KB33607-Word substitution is non-functional for text messages on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    02-09-13 05:57 PM
    I got this from Rim

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.

Thank you for the update.

In regards to your key questions, you fill find the answer below each question.

Key questions :

1 - Can you back up Auto text on new BB platform.

The Auto text will backup when the Z10 is backed up.

2 - Will I be able to transfer my 500 odd current auto text on my 9800 to the new Z10.

At the present time, the auto texts are not transferred from any pre BlackBerry 10 device to the Z10. This function has been sent to out development team, but there is no ETA as to when this will be available.

3 - What is the auto text limit on the Z10 i.e. what is the Max I can store AND what is the size limit in terms of the number of characters I can type within One auto text.

There does not appear to be a limit to the size of the auto text.

4 - Will I be able to have line breaks on the auto text ...... i.e. multiple paragraphs at the press of a pre determined auto text key. I have this feature currently with my auto text but I have a feeling that you can only have single paragraphs with the new version. This will be a mega loss for me if that is the case as I use the auto text feature HEAVILY as all of my property details are pre-stored via auto text. - so, at the press of a few simple keys, I can submit entire property details with multiple paragraphs.

This feature is not available on the current release of the operating system. This feature will be available in a future release of the device software. We do not have a release date for any future updates. It is up to the carrier to determine when software is released.

If you wish to call us directly, you may call us at any of the telephone numbers listed below. To ensure an efficient direction of your call, please have your Service Request number ready as you will be asked to enter it into the system. Your Service Request number is INC0000xxxxxxxx.

BlackBerry Technical Support
    battery and jesse_h like this.
    03-21-13 03:18 PM
    4 - Will I be able to have line breaks on the auto text ...... i.e. multiple paragraphs at the press of a pre determined auto text key. I have this feature currently with my auto text but I have a feeling that you can only have single paragraphs with the new version. This will be a mega loss for me if that is the case as I use the auto text feature HEAVILY as all of my property details are pre-stored via auto text. - so, at the press of a few simple keys, I can submit entire property details with multiple paragraphs.

This feature is not available on the current release of the operating system. This feature will be available in a future release of the device software. We do not have a release date for any future updates. It is up to the carrier to determine when software is released.
    I have brought this up with BlackBerry through twitter, support forums and email. I get the same response (which is good as they admit it will be coming)

For now I have saved my auto texts in a remember file. Although it looses formatting when pasted for some reason but at least I can adjust it. I just hope it happens soon.
    03-21-13 03:47 PM
    HI All

any update on the autotext issue …..I am still on my BB 9800 and will not be upgrading until this is rersolved.... any feedback will be welcomed.

regards
    04-05-13 05:12 PM
    With 10.1 We now have line breaks in word substitution!!
    05-16-13 03:40 PM
    With 10.1 We now have line breaks in word substitution!!
    Good News!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-17-13 12:48 AM
30 12