I've had a problem with wrong auto corrections for ages now and it's really started to annoy me.

I've tried clearing the learned words to no avail.

If I'm typing a sentence, perfectly valid words will sometimes be changed to ones my BB thinks are better. E.g. put will become out, bit becomes hit, if for of, and quite a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Does anyone else suffer from this? I can't see any reason for a correctly spelled word to be changed to another one. Fixing genuinely misspelled words is great but this is so frustrating, I can't trust what I'm typing.

Thanks

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    03-05-14 06:50 AM
    Yes I have noticed this too.....
    03-05-14 07:16 AM
    I recommend turning off the "Auto-Correct with Space bar". This for me makes it easier and faster to type and flick; sentences exactly the way I want them to be.
    Go to Settings / Prediction and Correction / Switch Auto-Correct with Space bar to Off
    Hope this helps you.
    Barefoot_Kevin likes this.
    03-05-14 07:39 AM
    I recommend turning off the "Auto-Correct with Space bar". This for me makes it easier and faster to type and flick; sentences exactly the way I want them to be.
    Go to Settings / Prediction and Correction / Switch Auto-Correct with Space bar to Off
    Hope this helps you.
    +1

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:42 AM
    When the auto correct with space bar is working I find it great. Be loathe to turn it off as I don't use the flicking much.

Might ask Michael Clewley via twitter or Channels..

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    03-05-14 08:02 AM
    I have that in German and English. So annoying.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:08 AM
    Yes, I found the "learning" auto-correct and suggestions really great for about 6 months, but after a few weeks of writing crazy amounts of email on my phone, it's like it became too smart for its own food (yes, I actually correctly typed "good" there three times and the phone kept changing it! ha, great example!).

I still generally like the feature, but it definitely "over-corrects" like this on me all the time now. I've thought about wiping its memory but I don't want to lose all those weird, technical words that I use that the phone has learned.
    03-05-14 09:24 AM
    I had the same concern about losing words but thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference anyway. My BB still thinks it can read my mind. I know the keyboard is good but if I type bit or of, both of which are in the dictionary, I'd much rather it left them than try and second-guess me.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    03-05-14 11:11 AM
    Yep, I had this exact complaint a while ago.

The longer I use my phone the worse it gets. It's like the opposite of what it should be. Brand new it worked like a charm. If I typed something weird (not a common word), then I would pay attention to make sure I didn't get it auto corrected. Aside from that, bam, insane amount of accuracy and you could easily see why people love this keyboard.

Fast forward 5 months and I'm constantly pissed at the Blackberry keyboard.

Perfectly correct words become gibberish. Where that gibberish came from I can only assume it was like me typing pyt instead of out and then immediately erasing pyt and changing it to out. So a week or two later when I text "I'm out" it suddenly becomes "I'm pyt". And it's like "of all the things to auto correct, you're changing out to pyt?" Argh.

From what I've seen it's just gonna get worse and worse and that makes me sad. It was so good at first. If only there's an option of "do not correct words that are in the dictionary." If the word I type is a valid word and it doesn't auto correct it, then that's my fault. If it gets bad enough I'm going to have to turn off the space = correction. Sigh.
    03-05-14 05:14 PM
    Sorry, but 13 months with this Z10 and the auto correct just keeps getting better for me, if there is persistent problem words you can always just modify the word substitution list.
    The whole dictionary /word substitution thing on BlackBerry 10 is very flexible.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:05 PM
    Der_mit: how? Can you do it on 10.1? Cuz I really would like to play with that list but I didn't know you could.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:26 PM
    Der_mit: how? Can you do it on 10.1? Cuz I really would like to play with that list but I didn't know you could.

Posted via CB10
    If you are asking about this
    Auto "correct"-img_20140305_213220.png
    Just start typing Word Substitution or Predictive Text and the list should come up. Click on Word Substitution.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:34 PM
    If you are asking about this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140305_213220.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	253095
    Just start typing Word Substitution or Predictive Text and the list should come up. Click on Word Substitution.

Posted via CB10
    That's right,
    What I would do is if there is a word that is always being suggested that is wrong like bat but you really want cat,
    Type bat into the first field then type cat into the new word field, so then it will always suggest cat, but it will still give you the option to use bat if you want, I've only had to put 3 or 4 substitutions in there and the keyboard understood.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:48 PM
    I've contacted BBHelp on Twitter to see if they can do anything (and Michael Clewley).

Putting words in the substitution list wouldn't help my situation as on many occasions I do want to type if or out, but I also want to type of or put (aaarrgghhh...which got corrected to out just then).

I just don't understand the logic of replacing one word in the dictionary with another.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    03-06-14 02:16 AM
    No need to replace a word with another,
    If you type a word but the keyboard brings up something else, it's because at some point a misspelled word was entered and the learning pattern of the keyboard assumed that that's what you wanted.

You can in word substitution put in the the correct spelling of "cat" for eg, then in the next field "cat" again.
    That will fix any misspellings that the keyboard has learned with the word cat for example.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 07:12 AM
    That strikes me as being bad/illogical programming. If I type the word bit, which is a valid word, not underlined in red to indicate a misspelling, however many times I might have typed it right or wrong in the past, surely it should never get changed to something else if it's a valid word?

And also, there's no consistency with it, which is why it strikes me as a bug...sometimes it changes the word, sometimes it doesn't, which really slows down typing as I constantly have to check.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    madx80h likes this.
    03-06-14 08:28 AM