Last couple of days I have been using BlackBerry assistant quite often, but something is wrong either with the phone or the app per se.
    every time I ask to call "home"....
    It doesn't understand the command.
    Last week I bought a new blue tooth earpiece, thinking that maybe the old one was too old about 5 years old...
    Anyway when the command was understud will show all the contacts with phone number under "home"
    And here the voice start saying all the freaking number before "what would like to do?"
    Then with every contact that I want to call
    Start the epic journey...

Battery pull don't work reboot don't work
    Should just give up ???

Why it is so hard?

Help please

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    05-26-15 02:00 PM
    Last couple of days I have been using BlackBerry assistant quite often, but something is wrong either with the phone or the app per se.
    every time I ask to call "home"....
    It doesn't understand the command.
    Last week I bought a new blue tooth earpiece, thinking that maybe the old one was too old about 5 years old...
    Anyway when the command was understud will show all the contacts with phone number under "home"
    And here the voice start saying all the freaking number before "what would like to do?"
    Then with every contact that I want to call
    Start the epic journey...

Battery pull don't work reboot don't work
    Should just give up ???

Why it is so hard?

Help please

Posted via CB10
    It has been a disappointment and certainly not as good as the major competitors.

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    05-26-15 02:18 PM
    I don't understand why you would call this a disaster. Do you have a contact where the name is "Home"? Probably not. If your name is Lou then try "call Lou". I created a contact called "Home" and it worked the first time although it gave me 3 other choices from my contact list to call as well but "Home" was #1 on the list.
    05-26-15 02:28 PM
    As the other poster has said, do you have a contact called home?
    05-26-15 03:48 PM
    Assistant does most of what I want it to do, and has some unique features.

Falls short in some areas over Siri etc, but wouldn't call it anything close to a 'disaster'.

There are other areas of BB10 in need of far more urgent work (like the Contacts app).

Posted via CB10
    Jose Casiano and claneyy like this.
    05-26-15 04:06 PM
    Hi there, yes I do have a contact that is called "home" since 2004
    Got a call at work
    from my kids school to rush over there... of course I have the blue tooth I can use while driving...especially during an emergency. . And YES I want call home .. .
    Not the 232 contacts that have their phone number saved as home number .... do you see where it FAILS ????
    Of course got to school and called from the parking lot ... if Siri is that good ,
    Why can we get something like it on our loved BlackBerry???

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 08:59 AM
    BlackBerry Assistant is awesome and works every time for me.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    05-27-15 09:03 AM
    I want to ask a question to all the assistant users,
    How many times do you have to repeat the question before gets it right????

Posted via CB10
    Madhuchandran likes this.
    05-27-15 09:04 AM
    Assistant is much better than what we had before with BlackBerry...

But it is a disaster in that compared with other platforms it is still far behind.

Finding contacts and doing dictation isn't too bad. But doing a location search or asking for movie times, can be a disaster. If my wife is with me, I just use Siri as she is a more experienced assistant.
    05-27-15 09:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    In low ambient noise, it always gets it right the first time for me.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    extisis likes this.
    05-27-15 09:17 AM
    After the first excitement, I gave up using it.

1. it does not really understand names (commands) very well. As soon as e.g. a name doesn't sound ike a simple standard name, it just doesn't get it. Regular voice, screaming, whispering, different paces, nothing helps. I tried it all. In 8 out of 10 cases, it won't work.

2. reading out a number, before dialling it, is incredibly annoying. Why wouldn't it dial it right away? If I have a wrong number stored in contacts, I would also figure it out after having dialled only. I don't get the point of this.
    05-27-15 09:30 AM
    BB Assistant does not work over Bluetooth. Period. Voice dialing will work however. These are two separate sub systems unfortunately. So if you connect your phone to your car's BT system or to a BT headset, assistant will not function. However, if you use your car or your headsets voice dialing it should be able to understand which contact you wish to call.
    05-27-15 09:43 AM
    I found Google Now to be the best, even better than the beloved Siri!

southlander and Jamie Wooten like this.
    05-27-15 10:03 AM
    Dang namit! I agree with Rich.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-27-15 10:04 AM
    Can Google now be installed on BlackBerry ? And will be like the assistant? Or just for Web
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by lou2969; 05-27-15 at 01:02 PM.
    05-27-15 12:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lately, just once unless I mumbled. I've been very impressed with difficult sounding or spelling words being interpreted correctly.

My only issue, is when I want to schedule a dentist appointment, sometimes it wants to be smart and invite/include the dentist, which isn't in my contacts as "dentist". It depends on the exact words I use and the order. I then just try again with different order words.

OP, giving an example with exact words and how it was understood will help us better understand your problem. Going as close to BlackBerry examples increases your success.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 03:24 PM
    If you think this is a disaster, then you should see the previous ai on 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 03:34 PM
    Ok guys if you red the above comments...

I had an emergency,
    not want to use the phone avoiding police and accident,
    I do have a earpiece and I put on use,

I do have a contact named HOME and I wanted to call home

Besides all the time it didn't understand the command,
    when the command was understud it showed me all the contact number that are saved. As home number
    232 ....
    Now..... doesn't want you to grab and use the phone while driving?
    My answer is yes.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 03:51 PM
    Can Google now be installed on BlackBerry ? And will be like the assistant? Or just for Web
    Thanks

Posted via CB10

I don't believe so I would imagine it requires Google Services.
    05-27-15 03:52 PM
    Blackberry Assistant on my Passport works flawlessly for me in my car - a 2015 Honda Accord V6 with Navi
    05-27-15 04:10 PM
    Ok guys if you red the above comments...

I had an emergency,
    not want to use the phone avoiding police and accident,
    I do have a earpiece and I put on use,

I do have a contact named HOME and I wanted to call home

Besides all the time it didn't understand the command,
    when the command was understud it showed me all the contact number that are saved. As home number
    232 ....
    Now..... doesn't want you to grab and use the phone while driving?
    My answer is yes.

Posted via CB10
    Reproduced.

Actually, I just noticed in the list of about 10 contacts to bring up, it had "home" in the name fields. So I might have contacts like "Rich (home)" and "Rich (work)", MagicJack Home, etc.

In your list of all the contacts, was it just because they had phone numbers with "home" entry, or there was a text of "home" in the First, Last or company name fields? If I go into "Contacts" and search "home", it gives me the same list.

I changed my home entry to "MyHome". However, Assistant brought up the exact same list. Presumably because of the "home" still having many matches.

The solution to this is for Contacts/Assistant to have a dedicated field/alias for things like "wife", "son", "daughter", "home", "work" that one can customize and take priority over other search locations. This is all that other assistants have that gives this personalized functionality. It really shouldn't be all that much effort.

My recommendation for a workaround is to give your home entry a very unique name without "home" in it. "Sat phone" always worked for me when I needed to call home. I'm having trouble with other names, like "landline" being reliable.

It looks like changes in contacts are not immediately picked up by Assistant. Tried changing my home entry to "Bat Cave", and it kept suggesting work and home number's for Beth (even though it heard "batcave" and "bat cave"). I then changed it to "landline", and it couldn't be found in contacts with same spelling. Probably needs to re-index or something.
    Last edited by BCITMike; 05-27-15 at 04:54 PM.
    05-27-15 04:30 PM
    Assistant, for me, works well.

Great Krypton! This Passport is super!
    05-27-15 04:33 PM
    I don't have Bluetooth on my car ,this is why I'm using an ear piece
    # Plantronics voyager legend
    Maybe through the car Bluetooth is different
    Even when I'm walking it doesn't get the
    COmmand

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 04:23 PM
    Sometimes Assistant is spot on with dialing a contact, other times...not so much. I've noticed if you have multiple contacts with the same last name, Assistant will list off every one of those contacts, regardless if you included the contact's first name or not, as an option.

This sometimes leads me to a rabbit hole scenario of 'say contact', 'there are 5 contacts with that name; pick one.', 'There are 4 contacts with that name; pick one.', 'There are 3 contacts with that name; pick one.', and so on and so forth until I pull my hair out.
    05-29-15 05:33 AM
    Try asking something as simple as "What time does Central Park Zoo close" or just "Central Park hours", it freaks out. It's useless as assistance, I disabled it, yet it still takes time for Search screen to show up. It's been very disappointing that I can't instantly search for stuff ever since "Assistant" was introduced.
    This is why I love google's search and maps, it's so detailed and provides so much information, yet BB Maps fail at providing simplest information. I never use BB maps, it's nearly useless.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    05-29-15 07:55 PM
143 123 ...