It's not WhatsApp's fault, it's BlackBerry's. They've stopped development for BB10 and future WA features, I assume, will need advanced APIs. BlackBerry is wrong for this but oh well.

I wasn't really affected by the Android runtime being forever 4.3 from now on since I don't use apks (except for Spotify). I wanted to use my Passport for three years but issues like these are driving me away lol.

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-01-16 11:08 PM
    Why do whatsapp need to continue to support BB10 when Blackberry yourself stopped to support BB10 OS?
    BB10 platform has not make enough profit for partners.
    You should use WhatsApp for android (maybe has problem with android runtime services) or another apps.
    03-02-16 12:35 AM
    Parallel Petition Started on Change.org -> https://www.change.org/p/support-wha...-blackberry-10
    03-02-16 02:26 AM
    I agree with you . It will not run as smooth as before . Might have bugs as well. But in the current situation to save the device which is known as best for communication this may be the only option. I have two Passports.
    How is it "the best for communication " if you can't even get a simple notification?

I love blackberry and bb10 over any android phone but the old saying that BlackBerrys are the best communication tools is imo redundant now.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 03:00 AM
    I presume it's because the support does not end until 2017. Impeccable timing because the update is 29 Feb, today!

Posted via CB10
    They said support will end "by the end of 2016". That could mean any time between today, and Dec 31 2016. It does not mean that support is promised throughout 2016.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 04:30 AM
    Well, I was wrong about the numbers. Over 600 signatures as of right now.

Still won't make any difference, though.
    03-02-16 01:37 PM
    What gets me is, why the heck if they're going to stop support for BlackBerry, have they put through two updates in beta zone since the announcement?

Posted via CB10
    Because 2016 isn't over yet?

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 06:04 AM
    Previously on the "BlackBerry Petition Report":

Petition to fire John Chen!

Petition to make all-touch high end BB10!

Petition to make BB10 slider!

Petition to make BB10 open source!

Did I miss any?

What was that Einstein said about insanity?

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 06:09 AM
    Petition to fire John Chen!
    Why would you want to fire him?
    BlackBerry would be long dead without him.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 07:08 AM
    Why would you want to fire him?
    BlackBerry would be long dead without him.

Posted via CB10
    He didn't say that. He's listing all of the previous petitions that people have tried to start. It also demonstrates the success rate of said petitions.

With respect to WhatsApp, they (WhatsApp) already have all of the precise download and user metrics. It's a question of mathematics - not signatures.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 07:39 AM
    I'm starting we online petition for BlackBerry to update the windows phone BBM. Who's with me?

At least whatsapp gave everyone a heads up unlike BlackBerry with their apps

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and JeepBB like this.
    03-03-16 07:41 AM
    Did I miss any?
    Netflix.

And Snapchat.
    03-03-16 07:53 AM
    The only thing I'll miss is the one or two groups I'm participating in. When I text someone who doesn't have BBM I send an SMS. As I'm planning on grabbing myself a Classic come August and not a Priv, I might just have to infect the device with the Android version by then. This SE on the other hand will not see any Android .apk or .bar file.

Does anyone have any idea whether it will continue working like it does? Seeing BlackBerry isn't updating the OS, Whatsapp should perform the way it does right? Or will they be blocking server access?
    03-03-16 07:59 AM

Does anyone have any idea whether it will continue working like it does? Seeing BlackBerry isn't updating the OS, Whatsapp should perform the way it does right? Or will they be blocking server access?
    Impossible to know exactly, but the implication seems to be that it may no longer work because of new features or server-side changes.
    03-03-16 08:01 AM
    This is why BB10 was considered "unable" to support future Whatsapp.... it had to do with content push and pull (apart from basic whatsapp messaging & gallery access). Revenue generation. Yes BB10 is capable as an OS to support future whatsapp releases, but what BB10 won't allow is something like this. Perhaps the tech guru's can explain?

Ask WhatsApp to continue to support BB10-img_20160305_161137.jpg
    03-05-16 04:55 AM
    This is why BB10 was considered "unable" to support future Whatsapp.... it had to do with content push and pull (apart from basic whatsapp messaging & gallery access). Revenue generation. Yes BB10 is capable as an OS to support future whatsapp releases, but what BB10 won't allow is something like this. Perhaps the tech guru's can explain?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160305_161137.jpg 
Views:	811 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	393243
    In the article, it says that you have to add a specific phone number to receive the updates from the BBC, stop acting like every single whatsapp user will get spam from this. Also, BB10 won't allow this? What about BBM ads? BBM is a core app impossible to uninstall and has ads that you can't unsubscribe to.

Also, I think people should know that whatsapp routinely forces people to update the app, if you stray too far from the most current whatsapp version a screen will appear that reads "whatsapp is too old, please update the app to continue using whatsapp". That's probably what will happen to the BB10 client after it stops being updated. (so no, it won't continue to work indefinitely)

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 06:19 AM
    I don't see anything in this new feature which make it impossible to implement on BB10 natively. The bigger issue is that WA is probably planning a series of new features to help with monetization. If you're making new monetization features you don't want to spend money building those for OSes with no future in the consumer space.
    03-05-16 07:27 AM
    Didn't BlackBerry essentially axe the advertising APIs?

Also, if BlackBerry doesn't update the Android RT everything is mute. Amazon will eventually upgrade their android to a newer version and the store will be useless.

So Amazon app store is a stop gap for a year or two. after that you better have moved to BB Android or picked up something else.
    03-05-16 12:08 PM
    Amazon will eventually upgrade their android to a newer version and the store will be useless.
    Fire OS is currently on 5.1.1.
    03-05-16 12:18 PM
    Fire OS is currently on 5.1.1.
    Oh didn't know don't follow amazon fire that closely. well less than a year? Maybe
    03-05-16 12:25 PM
    API argument is just a polite way of saying **** off.
    I'm pretty much sure the guy that maintains Whatsapp could have easily added features that will never be available on iOS let's say. Like share any freaking document you want or even better a video from the library or even better an audio file.

No wonder WA has limited document sharing to PDF because iOS don't support nothing else natively. And neither does the Droid. Ooops!!!

It's a shame cause BB10 version of WA was the best WA of all platforms. Props to THE GUY doing it right and showing everyone how mobile space is not that big of a deal as long as you know what you doing.
    03-05-16 01:12 PM
    No wonder WA has limited document sharing to PDF because iOS don't support nothing else natively. And neither does the Droid. Ooops!!!
    That's a lie.
    03-06-16 06:51 AM
    So how do view .doc or .pptx on iOS natively? Or a .txt file?
    03-06-16 07:44 AM
    BlackBerry does not deserve this app. All the things app developers were afraid BlackBerry would do if they developed for their platform, BlackBerry has done it. They stopped developing their apps a year or so ago. Leaving many of them in a broken state. I like BlackBerry 10 but BlackBerry policy has caused me to dislike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Foreverup, Barbareren and devin266 like this.
    03-06-16 09:44 AM
    I already signed the petition, hope we can make WhatsApp to change its mind.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 10:03 AM
147 ... 23456