I will sideload whatsapp from googleplay store and run . It will not affect me .
    Surprise!
    02-29-16 12:43 AM
    Writing is already on the wall . Being a Blackberry user from many years I feel sideloading can be done to save my device from disability. Sorry if my post offended you .
    02-29-16 01:04 AM
    I will sideload whatsapp from googleplay store and run . It will not affect me .
    Yes. But it is not integrated in the hub like the native one.
    If you use Whatsapp a lot, this is VERY important!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-29-16 02:02 AM
    Yes. But it is not integrated in the hub like the native one.
    If you use Whatsapp a lot, this is VERY important!

I agree with you . It will not run as smooth as before . Might have bugs as well. But in the current situation to save the device which is known as best for communication this may be the only option. I have two Passports.
    02-29-16 02:07 AM
    Writing is already on the wall . Being a Blackberry user from many years I feel sideloading can be done to save my device from disability. Sorry if my post offended you .
    Not at all offended. But if they stop updating the run time, which seems almost certain, the sideloaded version may not work for long.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-29-16 02:10 AM
    Not at all offended. But if they stop updating the run time, which seems almost certain, the sideloaded version may not work for long.
    Thanks. I didn't go into much details about the sideloading option. That is the reality and sad part of it .
    02-29-16 02:17 AM
    If whatsApp is so important to you, you shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp is important. But also prefer Blackberry! Prefer BlackBerry because have the hub and integration like Whatsapp! Also Whatsapp is more comfortable to use in the BB10 hub, in comparation to any android use.
    The petition is signed only 61 person, sadly...

If anyone use Whatsapp on BB10, please sign it!

02-29-16 05:59 AM
    Internet petitions don't work. Why do people keep making the pointless effort?

I bet this one doesn't even get 500 signatures in a month.
    moyah8 likes this.
    02-29-16 06:36 AM
    [WARN]Please skip the personal comments and the language. Discuss the topic or move on to another thread. [/WARN]
    moyah8 likes this.
    02-29-16 06:56 AM
    This may be a lost cause, but I'm willing to try anything.

I'm going to ask Whatsapp to keep supporting BB10 on twitter with the following hashtag :

#SupportWhatsappForBB10

If anyone else wants to join, please do.

Chris

Posted via CB10

Edit: on another thread someone started this petition, let's do this too.

Petition No end of support for Whatsapp on BlackBerry 10.
    That would be like asking Motorola to support this
    Attached Thumbnails Ask WhatsApp to continue to support BB10-download-3-.jpg  
    02-29-16 08:11 AM
    You'd have better luck asking your friends to switch to BBM. Better privacy and security, too.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    RA-HA likes this.
    02-29-16 08:15 AM
    I love that phone.
    02-29-16 09:13 AM
    Hahahahaha!!! What a joke!!! Pwahahahahaha!!

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 09:16 AM
    You clearly don't understand. It's not whatsapp fault. Blackberry isn't giving them or any other 3rd party app dev the tools to take the development further.

People are delusional or just don't want to get it. Besides one maybe two updates its what you see what you get. No more enhancements to the OS or Android runtime engine.
    YOU clearly don't understand

It is WhatsApp's fault.

The Dev Tools for BB10 they have access to provide all the tools they need to support and further develop the App for BB10.

For Symbian and legacy BlackBerry OS it might hold true that a lack of Dev Tools holds them back. But not for BB10.

The decision to dump BB10 is clearly market share driven.

Microsoft probably threw a lot of cash at them to keep supporting Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    02-29-16 09:52 AM
    That's like getting off a sinking ship onto a lifeboat with a hole in it.... Access to Google Play isn't exactly officially supported... Google could patch the Store or Google Services, and you might find that downloading from 3rd party stores or good "old" amazon are your only choices.

WhatsApp is ending support.... later this year. Didn't say they were removing the app or that it wouldn't work. It really comes down to if they make a change that requires a new version of the app to work.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-29-16 10:07 AM
    That's like getting off a sinking ship onto a lifeboat with a hole in it.... Access to Google Play isn't exactly officially supported... Google could patch the Store or Google Services, and you might find that downloading from 3rd party stores or good "old" amazon are your only choices.
    That's Bullpoop, you can download and install the latest WhatsApp APK file onto you're BB10 device directly from:
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android

No Google Play or third party App Store needed.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 10:37 AM
    That's Bullpoop, you can download and install the latest WhatsApp APK file onto you're BB10 device directly from:
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android

No Google Play or third party App Store needed.

Posted via CB10
    Technically, WhatsApp uses Google Play Services. For full compatibility without nuisance popups, it benefits from being patched. If the integration becomes deeper as time goes on, it may be REQUIRED.

I'm hoping (for the sake of those who use the app) that Cobalt's tools will continue to function (and be supported) going forward, and that WhatsApp will continue to work with Android Jellybean.
    Gordash and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-29-16 10:49 AM
    Whatsapp does not use Google Play Services and thus functions perfectly fine without it.

The only thing you should do is regularly check if they released a new version @:
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

What I don' get is why people's uninformed comments always get liked that always amazes me...

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 11:17 AM
    Whatsapp does not use Google Play Services and thus functions perfectly fine without it.

The only thing you should do is regularly check if they released a new version @:
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

What I don' get is why people's uninformed comments always get liked....

Posted via CB10
    You can analyse the code. I'm quite informed, thanks. You can confirm with Play Services Patcher if you wish.

It contains a signature check for Google Play Services.

As I indicated, it is not REQUIRED to run the app yet. I'm just concerned that it will be, as has happened with countless other apps. The fact that it already contains the dependencies troubles me.
    02-29-16 11:20 AM
    If everyone who said "this is a lost cause" actually signed the silly petition we would have a ton more people!

People forget the power they have in numbers! If 10k people sign it. It may make no difference but at least it will show WhatsApp that there are a ton of people who not only read this tiny thread in a big forum but that there are probably thousands of others.

You never know, it might make a difference, but you will never know unless you try!!

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    02-29-16 11:26 AM
    If everyone who said "this is a lost cause" actually signed the silly petition we would have a ton more people!

People forget the power they have in numbers! If 10k people sign it. It may make no difference but at least it will show WhatsApp that there are a ton of people who not only read this tiny thread in a big forum but that there are probably thousands of others.

You never know, it might make a difference, but you will never know unless you try!!

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    I agree that it can't hurt. If you use the app, then why not try?

Unfortunately WhatsApp already has the complete analytics - BBW downloads, betazone downloads, and BB10 user messaging metrics. I wouldn't hold my breath after asking "pretty please".
    02-29-16 11:32 AM
    I strongly support this request. We don't deserve to be dumped by whatsapp. Please reconsider

Posted via CB10
    Xeak and Barbareren like this.
    02-29-16 11:33 AM

No, 10,000 people is not "a ton." Maybe if you got a million signatures, or even 500,000, it would make a difference. But it won't get that kind of numbers. It'll get, at most, a few hundred, and WhatsApp won't even notice that it exists.

I strongly support this request. We don't deserve to be dumped by whatsapp. Please reconsider
    It's not about what you think you deserve. It's about WhatsApp's userbase and where they decide to put their resources. BB10 doesn't have to footprint to make it worth WhatsApp's while to continue support.
    02-29-16 11:34 AM
    You can analyse the code. I'm quite informed, thanks. You can confirm with Play Services Patcher if you wish.

It contains a signature check for Google Play Services.

As I indicated, it is not REQUIRED to run the app yet. I'm just concerned that it will be, as has happened with countless other apps. The fact that it already contains the dependencies troubles me.
    Haha you are uninformed:
    You went from: "Whatsapp needs Google Play services. For full compatibility" to: "it is not required to run the app".

Besides i've just extracted and went through the Whatsapp.APK (Version 2.12.485 downloaded from whatsapp.com/android) and there isn't any reference to Google Play Services in the code, not in the .so (shared object) files or in the .xml files.

The only thing there is, is a signature check for a .png file (in WHATSAPP.SF) with a logo of Google Play services THAT'S NOT A DEPENDENCY for the Google services by any means or form.

Conclusion is that you don't need Google Play Store to run Whatsapp and Whatsapp does not use Google Play services.
    Last edited by Dodger52; 02-29-16 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar and version
    02-29-16 12:00 PM

Conclusion is that you don't need Google Play Store to run Whatsapp and Whatsapp does not use Google Play services.
    Holy smokes, I wasn't doing a forensic audit. Play Services Patcher says "Google Play dependencies detected" when analysing the code.

The fact that it's EVEN THERE is disconcerting to me. That's my main point.

In my original post I explicitly stated it was not required to run the app presently. If it never happens - great!

Let's not squabble over my definition of "fully compatible". Someone in another thread mentioned a nuisance popup for Google Play Services. I'm qualifying that as a compatibility issue.
    Last edited by conite; 03-01-16 at 11:20 AM.
    02-29-16 12:10 PM
147 1234 ...