Comparing the steps and process of being notified and then taking action on BB10 vs Android;

Notification comes in:
    Android - You already know what it is and from whom and count on Android from the notification bar up top without taking any action

BB10 - You know there is a notification coz the notification light goes off but you don't know what it is

First action:
    Android (swipe down) - Now you can see the full message content

BB10 (Swipe up to peek) - Now you see the notification type and count. So you have same info as Android did a step before

Second action:

Android - You can reply from notification screen itself or tap it once to be taken to app

BB10 - You must swipe sideways to goto Hub and now you get to see full content (unless the hub was open before and you were in someother filter?)

Doesn't this seem like BB10 is always one step behind Android? How are you guys adapting your workflows around this?
    Do you just not bother with peek and simply do the L shaped "throw" to go straight to hub when you know the incoming notification is a message anyway? (Thus reducing the number of steps by 1)
    04-23-13 07:55 PM
    I don't know about other people, but the stock email app on my GS3 is horrible. Just horrible. I dread clicking on a notification by mistake, lest it launch that horrendous app.

And something else I've noticed, but maybe it's just my setup: when I get a new message on, say, Gmail, my notifier will show a looong preview list of messages both old and new with a teeny unread counter down below. Also noticed that when my SIM card is out of the phone, the preview works intermittently.
    00stryder, IqWaN and sf49ers like this.
    04-23-13 08:06 PM
    Yes I agree totally. I wish it would give you the notification without having to peak. Another thing I liked from the 9900 was when you got the notification of a item in your tasks or calendar you can change the snooze time from 5min right in the notification

Posted via CB10
    phylez likes this.
    04-23-13 08:09 PM
    Comparing the steps and process of being notified and then taking action on BB10 vs Android;

Notification comes in:
    Android - You already know what it is and from whom and count on Android from the notification bar up top without taking any action

BB10 - You know there is a notification coz the notification light goes off but you don't know what it is

First action:
    Android (swipe down) - Now you can see the full message content

BB10 (Swipe up to peek) - Now you see the notification type and count. So you have same info as Android did a step before

Second action:

Android - You can reply from notification screen itself or tap it once to be taken to app

BB10 - You must swipe sideways to goto Hub and now you get to see full content (unless the hub was open before and you were in someother filter?)

Doesn't this seem like BB10 is always one step behind Android? How are you guys adapting your workflows around this?
    Do you just not bother with peek and simply do the L shaped "throw" to go straight to hub when you know the incoming notification is a message anyway? (Thus reducing the number of steps by 1)
    Have you been reading my posts? Lol

I agree completely and have pointed out these points a few times on this forum.
    04-23-13 08:11 PM
    However I have never used gs3 so I don't know how good or bad it is but I'd like to see something great from blackberry to make seeing your notifications a little better. And I know they will as they are the best at notifications.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 08:13 PM
    No offence here, but unless you are physically challenged, everything is just one sweet motion done in under a second...
    04-23-13 08:13 PM
    LOL i have to agree.
    04-23-13 08:18 PM
    I find BlackBerrys "notification" system to be much nicer than androids. That's just me though
    russworman, SDTRMG, IqWaN and 8 others like this.
    04-23-13 08:22 PM
    No offence here, but unless you are physically challenged, everything is just one motion done in under a second...
    Not really. Since you don't know what the notification is, what is it wasn't a message? You need to perform one action to check if you're interested and then another (or continue the L shaped peek) if you indeed are. Then if the Hub was open before, it will take you to something else instead.

Basically for constantly chatting while doing something else, it adds up real quick and you begin to really notice that there is something wrong with the workflow.

On Android, you just drop the shade down from within the app, reply if you want (gmail), and push it back up and you're back in your app.

On BB10, you peek, now you know its gmail and its urgent (if it wasn't you wasted a gesture), so now you goto Hub, if you were elsewhere in hub before, you navigate to where you need to be, then you tap on the Gmail email, reply, then get back to app you were in.

Not a single motion at all, definitely not a second.
    Donvald likes this.
    04-23-13 08:29 PM
    Have you been reading my posts? Lol

I agree completely and have pointed out these points a few times on this forum.
    Link me pls
    I tried searching your post history. Maybe members there have alternative workflows that they suggested?
    04-23-13 08:31 PM
    Link me pls
    I tried searching your post history. Maybe members there have alternative workflows that they suggested?
    Must not have tried very hard. I'm not posting links to all of them, but:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post8355481

I even included a pretty picture. Oh just for the record. I was kind of kidding. I'm not like accusing you of copying me or anything like that. Just found it funny that we feel the same way. That's all
    04-23-13 08:38 PM
    I think it's a matter of preference. I often have my phone resting on the table at work and I prefer the discretion of a LED light to notify me. That is especially true when I am meeting a client. Even when I open the phone, I don't want any popups about missed notifications.

My ex gf has an iphone and she has about 2000 Facebook friends. Notification comes in non stop! Basically she ended activating the accessibility feature and use the flash as a visual notification instead.

But yeah, it would be a good idea if BlackBerry adds optional popup notifications.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, kbz1960, Mr_F and 1 others like this.
    04-23-13 08:39 PM
    I think it's a matter of preference. I often have my phone resting on the table at work and I prefer the discretion of a LED light to notify me. That is especially true when I am meeting a client. Even when I open the phone, I don't want any popups about missed notifications.

My ex gf has an iphone and she has about 2000 Facebook friends. Notification comes in non stop! Basically she ended activating the accessibility feature and use the flash as a visual notification instead.

But yeah, it would be a good idea if BlackBerry adds optional popup notifications.

Posted via CB10
    No no, Android doesn't do pop ups anymore. They are very nice toasts that then disappear into the notification shade ready to be pulled up anytime. You can also disable them on per app basis.

No personal info or email content or message content is shown on the screen if you don't want it to.

Just that the actual workflow of getting in and out and back to what you were doing seems superior on Android which I found sort of surprising given the amount of marketing I heard about 'peek' and 'flow' and the fact that notifications/messaging/email have traditionally been BB strengths
    04-23-13 08:47 PM
    One thing you're forgetting is that you can reply to a message right in the hub, no need to open up a separate app for it like on the SGIII. Sure it might take longer to get rid the message than on an Android, but at least you don't need to open up and close a separate app

Posted with my z10, the God of phones
    R Field, rotorwrench and hpjrt like this.
    04-23-13 08:47 PM
    Android is a joke. Don't get me started. If I didn't use the z10 I would use an iphone. The sg3 doesn't even have a native autocorrect

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and BerryClever like this.
    04-23-13 08:49 PM
    I agree! I don't want spying eyes seeing what and who has messaged me. Just let me be notified, I can check it at my convenience, then decide if its something I want to deal with now or later.....
    SDTRMG, kbz1960, deltact and 1 others like this.
    04-23-13 08:51 PM
    It's called hub++ OP... There's an app for that..

Posted via CB10
    yellowhammer likes this.
    04-23-13 09:02 PM
    Not really. Since you don't know what the notification is, what is it wasn't a message? You need to perform one action to check if you're interested and then another (or continue the L shaped peek) if you indeed are. Then if the Hub was open before, it will take you to something else instead.

Basically for constantly chatting while doing something else, it adds up real quick and you begin to really notice that there is something wrong with the workflow.

On Android, you just drop the shade down from within the app, reply if you want (gmail), and push it back up and you're back in your app.

On BB10, you peek, now you know its gmail and its urgent (if it wasn't you wasted a gesture), so now you goto Hub, if you were elsewhere in hub before, you navigate to where you need to be, then you tap on the Gmail email, reply, then get back to app you were in.

Not a single motion at all, definitely not a second.
    they meant it to be this way. It's the experience BlackBerry wanted to create. If you don't like it then too bad. They don't want users to be disturbed or interrupted while in an app. The phone is 4.2 inches and they give you all of it. It's not a flaw, it's a way of doing, and I personally prefer it and don't find it takes any longer. Coming from an older BlackBerry, which imo beats other platforms in messaging on notifications hands down, I don't feel like I've taken any step back at all in terms of this.

You make it sound much more complicated than it really is. I find it's useful and innovative. New and exciting, yet efficient and logical.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 09:11 PM
    Sorry OP you don't know how to use hub and flow. It is so easy to check from anywhere deep inside an app. Like now I am typing, in one fluid movement I go up and then to the right. In less than a second I know exactly what the message is. Keep the hub set on the main hub at the top. After looking at the sender and subject I can either go into the hub or bring my finger back to come back to typing. All in One fluid action and taking just one second to peek and come back here. Can android do that?

Posted from my lovely Z10
    04-23-13 09:11 PM
    One thing you're forgetting is that you can reply to a message right in the hub, no need to open up a separate app for it like on the SGIII. Sure it might take longer to get rid the message than on an Android, but at least you don't need to open up and close a separate app

Posted with my z10, the God of phones
    For Gmail, you don't open a separate app in Android either. SG3 runs TouchWiz. My experience is with Android 4.2 (Stock)

If it takes longer than it really doesn't matter what happens in meantime right , it takes longer.
    04-23-13 09:21 PM
    Android is a joke. Don't get me started. If I didn't use the z10 I would use an iphone. The sg3 doesn't even have a native autocorrect

Posted via CB10
    Ok, but..........that has nothing to do with the point above. SG3 runs TouchWiz, stock Android has auto-correct
    Saiga and red_devil_fan_1999 like this.
    04-23-13 09:22 PM
    I agree! I don't want spying eyes seeing what and who has messaged me. Just let me be notified, I can check it at my convenience, then decide if its something I want to deal with now or later.....
    Are these strawmen arguments or has no one used any other platform? There are no pop ups or privacy compromising details leaked. It merely just shows you the BB "peek" info on the top bar, NOT message contents
    nfernand likes this.
    04-23-13 09:24 PM
    Addition. Soon you will find that with one finger one can so easily do a half or full peek in one continuous motion. In practice it is a lot simpler than described by OP.

SDTRMG likes this.
    04-23-13 09:25 PM
    Sorry OP you don't know how to use hub and flow. It is so easy to check from anywhere deep inside an app. Like now I am typing, in one fluid movement I go up and then to the right. In less than a second I know exactly what the message is. Keep the hub set on the main hub at the top. After looking at the sender and subject I can either go into the hub or bring my finger back to come back to typing. All in One fluid action and taking just one second to peek and come back here. Can android do that?

Seriously? Yes Android does it more seamlessly, you swipe down n back up thats all. No 1.5/2 stage gesture. No need to initiate gesture at all to know what the notification is. No need to make sure you're at the "home" of the hub and you get back to exactly how you were. In BB10, you come back to Active frames.

Pls pick a Nexus 4 and a BB10 and actually perform the steps, you'll be doing 1-2 things extra on BB10 each time (to get in and to get out)
    Zeronin and sentimentGX4 like this.
    04-23-13 09:26 PM
    For Gmail, you don't open a separate app in Android either. SG3 runs TouchWiz. My experience is with Android 4.2 (Stock)

If it takes longer than it really doesn't matter what happens in meantime right , it takes longer.
    And my GS3 is still running 4.1.1...so...yeah.

Or is that a straw man argument for another thread?
    04-23-13 09:31 PM
291 123 ...