I run Skype, Browser and sometimes other apps simultaneously and lately I've noticed they will all just crash when they are minimized into a box and when I go back to them everything has to restart entirely.

Tried restarting twice. Plenty of space left too. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:03 PM
    Also as in crashing I mean the preview tiles no longer show the loaded content rather the app logo and then it reloads when you click it..

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:24 PM
    It's not really crashing, it's just that when device resources are tight (RAM specifically) the OS will tell apps to close and kill them if necessary.

If the app you have in the foreground is a particular memory hog, then this can easily happen. Even a rogue webpage in the browser can cause it IME.
    antonrr likes this.
    09-19-15 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the info! Is there anyway to avoid this besides running fewer apps etc?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 05:53 PM
    Not that I'm aware of.

TBH, I think this is one aspect of Android that is better than BB10. Android apps are always expected to save state so that when you go back to them they appear the same even if they were stopped and unloaded by the OS. BB10 also allows apps to save state before termination, but it is not ingrained into the culture and many apps don't do it, eg. the BlackBerry browser.
    Real time OS is Ok when it makes sense, but not all apps really need it. The cost is excessive RAM consumption to keep apps ready to execute. But then if RAM is short they are killed anyway.

I imagine a hybrid model would be best. Apps should save state and allow themselves to be unloaded and reloaded with minimal fuss, but also allow them to be easily terminated by the user for a clean start.
    09-20-15 08:04 PM
    Very interesting. Yep, definitely makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:12 PM
    Even if enough memory is available, there is a max of 8 apps opended simultaneously

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-20-15 10:44 PM
    I used to have Battery Guru, Device Monitor and BBM minimized, the former because it only works if open or minimized, and the latter two so I don't have to wait for them to load. Frequently, when I'm watching TV, I will also open the browser to read stuff during commercials. At least twice now in the last month, I wake my device and tap the browser frame to continue reading, it opens, and a few seconds later, shuts down.

I have a difficult time believing that it may be a RAM issue, because I have had more apps open before without issue. This is really making me lose faith in BlackBerry.

Johnny Two-Shoes. Because I have two feet.
    09-21-15 01:07 AM
    I used to have Battery Guru, Device Monitor and BBM minimized, the former because it only works if open or minimized, and the latter two so I don't have to wait for them to load. Frequently, when I'm watching TV, I will also open the browser to read stuff during commercials. At least twice now in the last month, I wake my device and tap the browser frame to continue reading, it opens, and a few seconds later, shuts down.
    What you are describing isn't the same as what the OP described.

I have a difficult time believing that it may be a RAM issue, because I have had more apps open before without issue.
    It's not the amount of apps, but the amount of RAM that is used. The browser seems to continue to load pages in the background, so I assume it can continue to consume RAM in the background too.

In any case, the description of what OS10 is supposed to do doesn't exclude the possibility of the reality not matching the docs (wouldn't be the first time) or the possibility of implementation faults.
    It's difficult to say what is wrong in your case.
    09-21-15 03:00 AM
    Not that I'm aware of.

TBH, I think this is one aspect of Android that is better than BB10. Android apps are always expected to save state so that when you go back to them they appear the same even if they were stopped and unloaded by the OS. BB10 also allows apps to save state before termination, but it is not ingrained into the culture and many apps don't do it, eg. the BlackBerry browser.
    Real time OS is Ok when it makes sense, but not all apps really need it. The cost is excessive RAM consumption to keep apps ready to execute. But then if RAM is short they are killed anyway.

I imagine a hybrid model would be best. Apps should save state and allow themselves to be unloaded and reloaded with minimal fuss, but also allow them to be easily terminated by the user for a clean start.
    Do you mean they save state after manually closing them the second time by opening the task manager and swiping them closed? Because if you only closed them on the homescreen they are still open and running and not saving state, they never closed to begin with.

Which the android apps in bb10 used to close, or at least I thought they did, but maybe they never truly did. Maybe I only notice now since the inclusion of the device manager and I can see they are still using cpu and need to be closed manually. The always on state of android apps is quite annoying.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-21-15 11:28 AM
    Do you mean they save state after manually closing them the second time by opening the task manager and swiping them closed? Because if you only closed them on the homescreen they are still open and running and not saving state, they never closed to begin with.

Which the android apps in bb10 used to close, or at least I thought they did, but maybe they never truly did. Maybe I only notice now since the inclusion of the device manager and I can see they are still using cpu and need to be closed manually. The always on state of android apps is quite annoying.
    You're rambling a little here, so I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Just to be clear though, I'm only contrasting the behaviour of BB10 native apps running on BB10 with Android native apps running on Android. I've no idea how BB10 deals with Android apps in its emulated Android environment.

I'll quote from the Android developer documentation:
    If an activity is paused or stopped, the system can drop the activity from memory by either asking it to finish, or simply killing its process. When it is displayed again to the user, it must be completely restarted and restored to its previous state.
    You can imagine an activity to be an individual screen of an app that performs some function.

An activity is also destroyed and recreated when the screen is rotated so that different screen assets etc. can be loaded if necessary. Since that is a really common occurrence, you can see how ingrained this storing and reloading of state is in Android.
    09-21-15 12:27 PM