Hey guys!

I have a problem with setting up the device...

Today I bought a used Passport SE. When the guy showed it to me, it was working, and he said that he did the Security Wipe. While we were settling on the price, I said to him to disable Protect and to remove the device on protect.blackberry.com.

When I got home and tried to enter my BBID, it asked for an original one.
    I did the Wipe again, and got stuck during setup. Choose language, setup Wi-Fi, and finally enter a BBID. I can't move past that point. He even sent me his BBID credentials, but it won't budge...

Any ideas? He's nice enough and offered to give the money back, but he'll be stuck with a "bricked" device, so I feel bummed...

Thanks in advance!
    10-25-17 05:16 PM
    How many times did you try to input the BBID?
    Ten times is the maximum.
    If you get it wrong and reach the limit, it is a goner.
    If you haven't, try the original BBID with the correct password, and if it happens that the guy cannot remember the password, use protect website, for you can try unlimited times.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-17 07:12 PM
    Before I did the Wipe myself, I tried it twice, and stopped. It said that it needs the BBID that device was initially setup. Then I checked that Protect is off (on the phone), and did the Wipe.
    After a successful Wipe, setup began. Language->SIM->Wi-Fi->BBID. I entered mine (I own a Z30, but you can have more devices linked to a single BBID, I'm sure), and the same prompt - "Protect is on. Use BBID that was used to setup the device."

Then I asked for his credentials, and the result was the same, even though he used the device with that BBID.

He mentioned that he deleted his Protect account, although I was able to access it. Of course, no linked devices on Protect, so I couldn't remove the mentioned device.

But to answer your question, I didn't enter it 10 times.

What's strange, is that when he bought the device, it was unlocked. And also, the phone was working when I got it, except for the inability to enter my own BBID. Maybe he can ask the original owner... He sold it because he doesn't like BBOS.
    Last edited by trx88; 10-26-17 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
    10-26-17 06:12 AM

He mentioned that he deleted his Protect account,
    Sounds like he deleted his BBID, which means your device is asking for credentials that no longer exist. You now have a brick.
    10-26-17 07:15 AM
    Sounds like he deleted his BBID, which means your device is asking for credentials that no longer exist.
    That's what I thought as well. But I can login to BBID that he provided me with, and that's strange to me if it's deleted. Unless he made it right before I asked for it...
    I returned the phone to him this morning and got the money back.

So basically, he made a mistake by deleting BBID?

When I returned the phone this morning, he said that he read something about flashing the ROM... I guess he read about autoloading to previous BBOS version to bypass Protect, which is impossible if the phone already has 10.3.2.xxxx as I understood?

Here's his BBID, so it's not deleted, right? Or I'm missing something...
    Attached Thumbnails Apparently I bought a "bricked" Passport SE...-bbid.png  
    Last edited by trx88; 10-26-17 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Additional information
    10-26-17 07:43 AM
    Something is going on....
    Other day I wiped my Passport and of course it asked me for password which I put in and it told me ....wrong.
    I'm original owner and know my password. I did this 2 times and stop. Went on line to BB id and put same exact password in and it worked online, went back to my phone and it worked.

Again something fishy.
    10-26-17 07:54 AM
    That's what I thought as well. But I can login to BBID that he provided me with, and that's strange to me if it's deleted. Unless he made it right before I asked for it...
    I returned the phone to him this morning and got the money back.

So basically, he made a mistake by deleting BBID?

When I returned the phone this morning, he said that he read something about flashing the ROM... I guess he read about autoloading to previous BBOS version to bypass Protect, which is impossible if the phone already has 10.3.2.xxxx as I understood?

Here's his BBID, so it's not deleted, right? Or I'm missing something...
    Deleting BBID with BlackBerry Protect still active will result in a boat anchor - every time.

You can't flash an older OS. Anti-theft will prevent it.

Anyway, I guess it's all academic now.
    10-26-17 09:00 AM
    Don't forget that all original BBID's have been migrated by Emtek. So all old BBID's can no longer be entered into a BB10 phone. Have you tried signing up for a new BBID?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 09:05 AM
    Don't forget that all original BBID's have been migrated by Emtek. So all old BBID's can no longer be entered into a BB10 phone. Have you tried signing up for a new BBID?

Posted via CB10
    That's not quite right.

The Emtek issue is solely with respect to BBM - and only if you had BBM previously running on Android or iOS.
    10-26-17 09:11 AM
    Deleting BBID with BlackBerry Protect still active will result in a boat anchor - every time.
    I'm sure. Makes sense, after all.
    But how can BB account be accessed then?
    10-26-17 09:51 AM
    I'm not sure what the situation is. He probably deleted his BBID and then created a new one with the same credentials.

It would look the same to you and me, but not to a BlackBerry.
    10-26-17 10:03 AM
    That's a possible scenario. You can't fool them.
    He'll try to contact BlackBerry, but I don't think that it'll do any good.

That's too bad... I have difficulties finding SE in good condition like that one.
    I wanted to buy KEYOne, but decided to stick with BBOS 10, and I think that Passport SE is a great choice for that.

Thank you for the information that you provided, you've been very helpful.
    10-26-17 10:26 AM
    If you search... some have been able to get around BlackBerry Protect by downloading and installing the developer version of BB10.3.3 and then going back to a normal version. I've never done it, not sure of the exact circumstances each time, just read some stuff on the internet so it must be true.
    10-26-17 11:34 AM
    You can remove BlackBerry Protect by using Chimera Tool. It's going to cost you, but not that much. I will not post a link but a quick search will get you to where you need to be.
    10-26-17 04:06 PM
    I will buy the se for parts if it is in good condition.
    10-26-17 06:51 PM
    You can remove BlackBerry Protect by using Chimera Tool.
    I don't know if it'll screw something up later on... E.g. Not be able to use Protect, or something like that.

I will buy the se for parts if it is in good condition.
    I'll pass that info to the seller. But I don't think it will a good deal for you, since we're in Europe, so postage will cost quite a bit.
    10-27-17 06:55 AM
    I don't know if it'll screw something up later on... E.g. Not be able to use Protect, or something like that.
    It doesn't remove the entire feature, it just removes the association with an account. It effectively blanks the feature so you can start again.

I'm in Europe and would buy it from you ;-)
    10-27-17 07:05 AM
    At least you know the seller was honest! If he was a crooked seller he wouldn't have refunded you and would have immediately fired back with the good ol' "it was working fine when I had it!"

I've gotten burned a couple times with people like that. The bad part about buying used mobile devices is that you can't test full functionality in a short period of time.
    10-27-17 08:33 AM
    Yeah, he's a good guy. He was surprised when I called him to say that there's a problem with the device.
    That's also the reason I started this thread - to help him get the phone back up and running.
    10-27-17 08:37 AM