For the most part I always hit Ok when installing apps but often wonder if I should change or customize them. I've been reviewing the app permissions in the settings but really don't know what should be on and what should be off. I realize that some apps need access to contacts etc if they are for example a contacts manager app but what should I restrict access to for other apps. Anyway not sure if I'm just paranoid and should just let it go or if there is someone or somewhere that I could get more info on what they all mean?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 09:08 AM
    It's ok to wonder (and worry).

But be rational about it. If an app has the ability to shoot invitations via email, it will likely need permisson to contacts and messages.

If it need to cache files, it will probably need files permission.

It's sinle function apps or very limited bundle apps that draw attention: A calculator app should not ever need access to your calendar. A picture drawing app has no business with your contacts.

Got the logics? Edit away.
    02-22-15 09:17 AM
    Thanks, I'll play with them and see what it does. I wish there was a way to see what they actually do if you leave the permission on. For example, if you give access to contacts, what contacts did they review or access.

Thanks for the quick reply

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:25 AM
    Thanks, I'll play with them and see what it does. I wish there was a way to see what they actually do if you leave the permission on. For example, if you give access to contacts, what contacts did they review or access.

Thanks for the quick reply
    It's not like that...

Apps don't have a mind to go wondering. They need permissions to access those parts of the device so they can do the things they are supposed to. Giving an app contact permissions does not mean it will take a stroll on your address book...

You're acting as all apps were malware designed to steam info.
    02-22-15 07:57 PM