We have a user who has an apostrophe in her last name. Her email account in exchange is just her full name, including the apostrophe. If I look her up in Outlook the correct email address is used for the recipient. However, when I compose an email from my Blackberry Z10 the apostrophe is dropped from her email address, while her name still displays with the apostrophe. A user will look her up and click the name and attempt to send the email, and then they don't understand why it is undeliverable.

It seems that this occurs to anyone with an apostrophe in their email address. If I type the full address manually it works, so it seems that the problem is only related to pulling the address from exchange.

Has anyone else experienced this? We are all using Verizon Z10's on 10.1.
    01-17-14 01:29 PM
    I know Microsoft used to have an issue with Outlook that caused emails to fail when sent to contacts with apostrophes in the address.

Does it work Ok from other mobile devices or is it just BlackBerry OS 10?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 01:49 PM
    Seems to be a 10.1 issue, it's not present in 10.2 or 10.2.1 that I can see. Just tested it on an email account I set up or it's on the server side of things.
    01-17-14 01:51 PM
    I know Microsoft used to have an issue with Outlook that caused emails to fail when sent to contacts with apostrophes in the address.

Does it work Ok from other mobile devices or is it just BlackBerry OS 10?

Posted via CB10
    The apostrophe in the address is not the problem. If I type in the email address manually with the apostrophe it will send with no problem. What is happening is the email is not being copied down correctly. So a user will start to type the name and the alias will appear correctly with the apostrophe in the name, but the apostrophe is removed from the actual address and most people don't notice it. When they hit send they get the undeliverable message.
    01-17-14 03:02 PM
    Seems to be a 10.1 issue, it's not present in 10.2 or 10.2.1 that I can see. Just tested it on an email account I set up or it's on the server side of things.
    I was thinking that might be the case... too bad Verizon is taking so long to push out an update. The email address shows up correctly in Outlook and Outlook Web App but I have not tried another phone.

Thanks for the quick replies so far.
    01-17-14 03:07 PM
    The apostrophe in the address is not the problem. If I type in the email address manually with the apostrophe it will send with no problem. What is happening is the email is not being copied down correctly. So a user will start to type the name and the alias will appear correctly with the apostrophe in the name, but the apostrophe is removed from the actual address and most people don't notice it. When they hit send they get the undeliverable message.
    The email address would be subject to email validation and if the regular expression (on the outlook connection) is at fault then it would be. I was trying to isolate whether this is a problem on the Microsoft side or a problem with BlackBerry's integration with the Microsoft system.

Personally I would prefer users to have emails made up of only alphanumeric characters, periods and underscores. Beyond that you are at the mercy of developers implementing standards correctly.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 06:21 PM