So has anyone else not bothered by the fact that apn is locked, greyed out or not editable? This is a problem when I roam as the default apn doesn't work is countries that I go to ie senegal. I carried a z10 there once with a factory installed OS and the default apn didn't work. I carried an iphone, iPad as well with me on my last trip and until I change the apn, data wouldn't work. Although whenn I went to US and Europe the default apn worked.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:14 AM
    Yeah, it's a bit annoying for some users... but the settings are pulled from the sim itself. You can try using different sim cards (some carrier sims allow for it to be changed!) then you can swap back to the sim you wish to use with the correct settings.
    05-19-13 08:54 AM
    Thx for the respond, I don't think that it's set by my provider via sim. One of the leaks for the z10 pre 10.1 allowed for it so I think this is a software issue. It seems I have to go back to that leaked version, I also tried the most current leak and it's still locked.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 09:12 AM
    On OS10 with Bell I could not change my APN but with 10.1 I can......and in both instances my handset was unlock....
    05-19-13 09:16 AM
    So is this an unlock issue then you think? I don't mind paying 50 bucks to rogers if this fixes the issue. Can anyone else confirm?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 09:18 AM
    So is this an unlock issue then you think? I don't mind paying 50 bucks to rogers if this fixes the issue. Can anyone else confirm?

Posted via CB10

No it's not an unlocking issue. (the field is populated by info it pulls from the network/sim card) There was a discussion (many threads) on this a couple months back, it was an agreement i believe (by choice) of the carriers to lock this, namely with the big three carriers. You weren't able to edit the APN but with recent software updates this has been changed it seems... When I went down to the caribbean, there were two carriers...with one the APN setting was editable and the other, it wasn't!
    Last edited by Cap_172R; 05-19-13 at 07:52 PM.
    05-19-13 07:31 PM
    So has anyone else not bothered by the fact that apn is locked, greyed out or not editable? This is a problem when I roam as the default apn doesn't work is countries that I go to ie senegal. I carried a z10 there once with a factory installed OS and the default apn didn't work. I carried an iphone, iPad as well with me on my last trip and until I change the apn, data wouldn't work. Although whenn I went to US and Europe the default apn worked.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I hate the locked APN. It's time to put a end to this. Blackberry needs to update the OS10 now. I hope everyone post.
    Otherwise Blackberry will lose users and they can't afford to. Samsung and Apple got it right, why not Blackberry. Thorsten Heins are you listening? There are many many users who are not happy about this. We can't access the full function of the wonderful Z10 if we don't have mobile data.
    05-20-13 12:16 PM
    Yeah, it's a bit annoying for some users... but the settings are pulled from the sim itself. You can try using different sim cards (some carrier sims allow for it to be changed!) then you can swap back to the sim you wish to use with the correct settings.
    I would you feel if I turn off your data that you are paying for and told you that its just "annoying" and live with it. Pay for two or more SIM cards = monthly fees because Blackberry locked the APN.
    Thorsten Heins please fix this issue to that we can access the full beauty of Z10. ASAP please
    05-20-13 12:28 PM
    On OS10 with Bell I could not change my APN but with 10.1 I can......and in both instances my handset was unlock....
    You are so Lucky. But 10.1 does not fix this problem with all prepaid SIMs. Blackberry seem to be ignoring this problem

What plan are you on? Are you on a month to month or prepaid? The month to month SIM do not have this problem.
    05-20-13 12:31 PM
    No it's not an unlocking issue. (the field is populated by info it pulls from the network/sim card) There was a discussion (many threads) on this a couple months back, it was an agreement i believe (by choice) of the carriers to lock this, namely with the big three carriers. You weren't able to edit the APN but with recent software updates this has been changed it seems... When I went down to the caribbean, there were two carriers...with one the APN setting was editable and the other, it wasn't!
    Agreed. This problem is not related to the Z10 being locked or unlocked. Its Blackberry OS thats the problem. Time for Thorsten Heins to kick this issue up to the software development team for immediate action. Thorsten Heins needs as many users as possible, before everyone switches to Samsung or Apple. No one wants to pay for service and not get it. How many users are return their Z10?
    05-20-13 12:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't pay the $50, as this wont' solve your problem. Its the Blackberry OS. It shouldn't take the programmers more than 5 minutes to comment out parts of the routine for APN locking. It's so frustrating seeing Samsung and Apple users not having this problem:-( I wouldn't mind this problem if everyone had this same problem with locked APN. Don't care about number of apps, browser speed, etc. I want every Blackberry user to have an unlocked APN. You may not need this today, but imagine traveling to Europe and having to use your SIM card and paying for roaming and super high data rates because you can't use local SIMs. Makes me mad and I hope that everyone emails Thorsten Heins about this. POST NOW AND POST OFTEN. Thorsten Heins can't do anything unless you tell him.
    05-20-13 12:47 PM
    Thx for the respond, I don't think that it's set by my provider via sim. One of the leaks for the z10 pre 10.1 allowed for it so I think this is a software issue. It seems I have to go back to that leaked version, I also tried the most current leak and it's still locked.

Posted via CB10
    Then you don't understand what the APN is used for.

Cap is correct .... the APN (which is on the providers switch allowing a connection to the GGSN; yet applied to your billing account as a SOC), is controlled by your national cellular provider.

When you roam and cannot get any data - then THAT should be your first clue that it IS in fact controlled by your provider. Just because you can make calls or SMS (which uses a voice channel) doesn't mean you're enabled for Data roaming.

A number of things to check:
    Provider - have them enable both voice and data for roaming.
    Provider - double check the place you're roaming to supports data roaming and at what speeds confirmed by your provider
    (the HLR is for your nation, the VLR is for when you roam: Visitor Location Registry). There are times, more frequent in the past, where the VLR for the provider partner you're roaming on doesn't work.

I'm seeing a LOT of complaints for the APN not being accessible on these boards, and this is by far the ONLY person who's stated a legit reason for it being unlocked; even if he's not sure the REASON for having an APN and how it works in the first place .

Many are wanting to circumvent biling costs - especially those on T-Mobile USA trying to use that old legacy SOC $4.99 unlimited data (originally launched and used back in 1999 when the NGage QD was available) vs the $19.99/mth for data.

The only other reason, again a legacy reason which should no longer apply is:
    1. requiring a specific VPN APN.
    2. A provider specifically has an APN for LTE (Rogers Wireless does but its set by having a WAP PUSH message update your SIM card - you won't even see this on modern smartphones).
    05-20-13 12:55 PM
    Yes I hate the locked APN. It's time to put a end to this. Blackberry needs to update the OS10 now. I hope everyone post.
    Otherwise Blackberry will lose users and they can't afford to. Samsung and Apple got it right, why not Blackberry. Thorsten Heins are you listening? There are many many users who are not happy about this. We can't access the full function of the wonderful Z10 if we don't have mobile data.
    Put an end to what?!

Why do you NEED to have the APN unlocked?! It's based on your SIM card ... when your Z10 unlocked (properly not from some hack), you're APN will be updated according the the providers SIM card and the data connection allowed via your plan.

So I ask you ... why do you need/want to have the APN unlocked? I'm very curious if you (or others) can prove a valid reason for this gripe. It seems to be so many people are complaining yet do not have a valid reason for it, nor understand how an APN works.
    05-20-13 12:57 PM
    You are so Lucky. But 10.1 does not fix this problem with all prepaid SIMs. Blackberry seem to be ignoring this problem

What plan are you on? Are you on a month to month or prepaid? The month to month SIM do not have this problem.
    Month to month.... but like I said before the 10.1 update the APN field was grayed out and not changeable,and now it is changeable.....
    05-20-13 12:59 PM
    This is not related to prepaid or month to month plan, this is an OS problem or issue as one of the leak OS pre 10.1 I was able to edit. I will be going back to that leak before my next trip. On my last trip I carried an iPhone, lumia 920 and until I changed the apn on both I wasn't getting any data, the default apn simply did not work in the country that I was at. I'm with rogers and even them recommend changing apn if default apn doesn't work. Unfortunately on 10.1 or factory default OS this is locked out or unavailable for editing for some stupid reason. I roam a lot and this is critical for me and those with bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:09 PM
    I'm trying to understand where this is greyed out. Can someone take shape teen shots to show what you mean? My Z10 came unlocked (in fact by default all Z10 from my carrier) are unlocked devices.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 01:14 PM
    Here you go...

APN-img_00000014.png
    05-20-13 01:25 PM
    Put an end to what?!

Why do you NEED to have the APN unlocked?! It's based on your SIM card ... when your Z10 unlocked (properly not from some hack), you're APN will be updated according the the providers SIM card and the data connection allowed via your plan.

So I ask you ... why do you need/want to have the APN unlocked? I'm very curious if you (or others) can prove a valid reason for this gripe. It seems to be so many people are complaining yet do not have a valid reason for it, nor understand how an APN works.
    05-20-13 01:58 PM
    Ok that's what I thought was meant by greyed out, but wanted clarity.
    Mine is not greyed out as:

APN-img_00000408.png

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:09 PM
    Put an end to what?!

At least for Bell owners, they forced anyone who wanted a BB onto a BB plan. With no way to edit the apn, you had to do this if you wanted network access.

My Z10 is unbranded and unlocked. So far Ive only installed leaked 10.1 OS's, so I can use the pda.bell.ca apn, and stay on my Android cell plan.
    05-20-13 02:15 PM
    For some of us that travel we need the apn unlock so we can use alternative apn. My reason is valid. You don't read much or roam at all do you? Do you think this is some made up problem? And no this is not set by my providers on the sim as I stated there was a leak OS that this setting was editable.

If you have nothing to add then don't respond.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:26 PM
    I have no roaming restrictions. Thx for offering your solutions but those doesn't apply to me. Read my post then respond intelligently, otherwise don't pretend that you know what you're talking about.

As I said on my last trip, I carried an ip5, a lumia and the z10 all have roaming for data on. It wasn't until I change the apn on the ip5 and the lumia that data started to work. Rogers has stated this as well to use a diff apn.

On the z10 that I carried on the same trip however the os wouldn't allow me to do that. On the ip5 or the lumia it did. If you're stating that apn is set by my provider and that's always locked wouldn't that be true for the ip5 and lumia that I carried? All my phones are from Rogers.

This may not be a big issue for those who doesn't roam outside of North America, Europe or Australia but I constantly roam to Africa and there I found I need to change apn.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:44 PM
    I have no roaming restrictions. Thx for offering your solutions but those doesn't apply to me. Read my post then respond intelligently, otherwise don't pretend that you know what you're talking about.

As I said on my last trip, I carried an ip5, a lumia and the z10 all have roaming for data on. It wasn't until I change the apn on the ip5 and the lumia that data started to work. Rogers has stated this as well to use a diff apn.

On the z10 that I carried on the same trip however the os wouldn't allow me to do that. On the ip5 or the lumia it did. If you're stating that apn is set by my provider and that's always locked wouldn't that be true for the ip5 and lumia that I carried? All my phones are from Rogers.

This may not be a big issue for those who doesn't roam outside of North America, Europe or Australia but I constantly roam to Africa and there I found I need to change apn.

Posted via CB10
    tgzgeorge
    I agree with you. Traveling will be a PIA if you have a locked APN Z10. In my case my prepaid data is not usable on the Z10 unless I can unlock the APN. You're also right about the iPhone 5 and my Samsung S3, both have zero issue with APN. Could it be that Samsung and Apple foresaw this problem and corrected it before it was an issue? It that why they have the lion share of the "Smart phone" market?
    05-20-13 03:08 PM
    At least for Bell owners, they forced anyone who wanted a BB onto a BB plan. With no way to edit the apn, you had to do this if you wanted network access.

My Z10 is unbranded and unlocked. So far Ive only installed leaked 10.1 OS's, so I can use the pda.bell.ca apn, and stay on my Android cell plan.
    Thank you for that information. Good reason to stay away from Bell. I wished I could be as "bold" as you are with the leaked OS. I just want to use the Z10, and I don't want to rebuild it because my life is complicated enough. The Smart phone is suppose to make my life less complicated and the connectivity to keep me on the right track. That's why I paid for the Z10 outright. A business phone for those who need reliable performance and not just for surfing the web, which I enjoy doing.
    05-20-13 03:17 PM
    For some of us that travel we need the apn unlock so we can use alternative apn. My reason is valid. You don't read much or roam at all do you? Do you think this is some made up problem? And no this is not set by my providers on the sim as I stated there was a leak OS that this setting was editable.

If you have nothing to add then don't respond.

Posted via CB10
    Ok you're being rude and yet you have no idea what my experience is. Yes I roam EVERY month to Nouakchott, Mauritania (Africa), and I read a lot more than you think. I think the problem is blown out of proportion by those that don't really understand HOW a cellular provider network really operates. You're acting like a child freaking out over something you really do NOT understand.

A Leak OS changes a few things ... but if it was not working for you - again I point to your SIM card. If you know anything about BlackBerry's on a technical level you'll know a LOT of network features if not present or available on your phone line in use - the option will not be present. I've worked at two providers - Rogers Wireless (during the transition from TDMA to GSM) and T-Mobile USA (prior to and during the launch from the 8700) and I've had access to both the network switches for editing and to the billing systems of both! You're reason is valid to you, I get that .... a LOT of people complaining it is NOT.

Your first post and many others stated exactly what I'm talking about ... you roamed in the USA & Europe it worked, yet in Senegal it did not. That tells me 1) You're using a Rogers SIM, 2) Rogers has 2 providers in Senegal for Roaming, 3) 3G/LTE data services is NOT available on BOTH!

While in Senegal - did you try switching what data connection your Z10 acquires? Did you ensure you're on either Sonatel Mobile "Alize" or SENTEL S.A. "Sentel" ? You've mentioned nothing in terms of trying to troubleshoot your own issue - yet you're focusing on a Leaked OS, and stating its the Z10's fault. Your subsequent posts confirm what I've previously stated in not knowing how networks for roaming work.

I'm offering to try to help, not attack you - but you're not even trying to listen nor ask questions to further your knowledge of the problem you're facing.

I'm not sure which "BB plan" you're referring to, is this plan specific to the legacy BB's? (Sorry I've not used or worked at Bell, yet it's my understanding that both Bell & Telus share their HSPA networks across the country). You must've had a shipping OS originally when you got your Z10, was the APN also locked?

^ I asked about the APN being locked with original shipping OS for a reason because my main Z10 I just found something out.

Posted via CB10
    You stated you carried an iPhone (not an iP5), you didn't state the country of your most recent trip - the one where you had the lumia (your thread started post stated an iPad was carried).

I'm not pretending ... I do know what I'm talking about - you assume too much because you don't understand what I'm saying so its easier to attack me and state I'm pretending to know what I'm saying? I responded intelligently, and for one how are you swapping the MicroSIM card from a Z10 into a NanoSIM tray of an iP5?

I NEVER stated that the APN is always LOCKED! You need to read my previous 2 posts again if you think I said that.

Are ALL your phones on a shared plan, or are they all individually on their own BAN? This is an intelligent question because some SOC (service order codes) are not available on 1 device when others are used. This has always been the case with Rogers wireless.

Did you guys know there are 2 places to edit APN on the Z10? I'm having an issue loading the most recent leaked 10.1 via Parallels 8, and I did not wish to keep getting SMS so I searched for a way to keep messages on the SIM. At this time I found a support document that made no working sense ... and I figured out (without my SIM in my SIM Locked Z10) going into Text Messages, menu, settings, Text Messages, Advanced ... the field for "Retries" isn't present when the SIM card is not installed yet the APN is and available for editing. Oddly enough when I go back with my SIM in its missing ... also when I go to APN from main Settings, Network Connections, Mobile network, here where "Rogers LTE" is listed and selecting the APN button my APN is greyed out.

Give me a few minutes to share screenshots. tgzgeorge, try this method to see if a) APN is accessible - no SIM card, and b) if the adjustment remains. Also stop attacking people trying to help - even if you don't understand fully what their talking about.
    doug8256 likes this.
    05-20-13 03:23 PM
56 123