I think your best bet is that they add remote search for all accounts. Keeping that many emails on the device seems like an indexing nightmare. Is it possible to archive all your old email, and throw it to a folder on the SD card and search it through file manager? Not the solution you want but maybe a work around that won't bog down the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Possibly. I mean if they would have kept remote search in the OS, we wouldn't even have to have this discussion. Not sure why it was left out...

Yeah the indexing nightmare, is definitely a nightmare. I see the benefits of indexing years of email and looking for email addresses to include in "recent contacts" when composing an email, but I certainly see the disaster this can present when people switch email addresses, jobs, etc...

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-20-13 12:58 AM
    Hi Wayne, great post. I've synced my emails back to 2010. Not much help to you there but I'm the OP with the [email protected] and [email protected] links. I had called the dev team at BlackBerry in April and spoke to a live person for about a half hour. I got those 2 email addresses so I could forward my CB10 thread (6000+ views and 100+ replies) on getting our Z10's and Q10's bridge function fixed up for our Playbooks. The nice lady on the other end said that those 2 emails are direct to the BlackBerry Developers. I've been in touch with the devs and do not get email replies but actual changes to the os's. Good luck on your issue. Don't trip too hard on the people here that are too busy being critical but try to keep focused on the ones that do help or you'll go nuts.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-20-13 01:14 AM
    Hi Wayne, great post. I've synced my emails back to 2010. Not much help to you there but I'm the OP with the [email protected] and [email protected] links. I had called the dev team at BlackBerry in April and spoke to a live person for about a half hour. I got those 2 email addresses so I could forward my CB10 thread (6000+ views and 100+ replies) on getting our Z10's and Q10's bridge function fixed up for our Playbooks. The nice lady on the other end said that those 2 emails are direct to the BlackBerry Developers. I've been in touch with the devs and do not get email replies but actual changes to the os's. Good luck on your issue. Don't trip too hard on the people here that are too busy being critical but try to keep focused on the ones that do help or you'll go nuts.

Trusted Member Genius
    Thanks buddy. Appreciate the kind words.
    10-20-13 01:16 AM
    I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant, but when I got my Q10 (after having used a curve and a torch successfully), the moment I added my massive work-email account, I experienced some serious email woes.

Long story short, after lots of back and forth my IT folks, tjey surmised there is an issue with BB10 devices and our "older" microsoft platform, reportedly fixed on the backend when they roll out "365."

I too had several GB of email, thousands of messages. But interestingly, I didn't get hub or phone slow-downs. Instead, my "bug" manifested as authentication failures; the phone would think I need to re-provide logon info, when in fact that was not the issue.

Email for the work account only would fail until I deleted, re-added, and resynced. That would work, then fail... repeat, repeat, give up. Incidentally, my 3 personal accounts worked fine during all of this (and still do).

I can only hope the problem is resolved when we roll out the new platform. I'll report back once that's complete. Until then, and I wish I had a better parting comment or helpful suggestion, I've stopped syncing work-mail, and have to check on my laptop.

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    10-20-13 01:43 AM
    I have 26 GB on Google, since I do not delete any mail... now I have only 16GB on the device... half of it has to be free for smooth running... Unless I can save on an external hard drive (possible with Z30) or they produce say Q10 with 64GB (which I would buy without hesitation), I would but can't even risk it... I fear my device would freeze when starting up and loading the hub!

Posted via my Q10, Germany
    Last edited by Anis Chabchoub; 10-20-13 at 02:01 AM.
    10-20-13 01:45 AM
    I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant, but when I got my Q10 (after having used a curve and a torch successfully), the moment I added my massive work-email account, I experienced some serious email woes.

Long story short, after lots of back and forth my IT folks, tjey surmised there is an issue with BB10 devices and our "older" microsoft platform, reportedly fixed on the backend when they roll out "365."

I too had several GB of email, thousands of messages. But interestingly, I didn't get hub or phone slow-downs. Instead, my "bug" manifested as authentication failures; the phone would think I need to re-provide logon info, when in fact that was not the issue.

Email for the work account only would fail until I deleted, re-added, and resynced. That would work, then fail... repeat, repeat, give up. Incidentally, my 3 personal accounts worked fine during all of this (and still do).

I can only hope the problem is resolved when we roll out the new platform. I'll report back once that's complete. Until then, and I wish I had a better parting comment or helpful suggestion, I've stopped syncing work-mail, and have to check on my laptop.

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    Not sure if you have this, but I used to have 2-Step Authentication on my Gmail accounts. BB10 apparently hates 2-Step and would always prompt me to reautenticate my gmail credentials. I turned it off and it seems to be doing fine as of late.

#imissBIS

10-20-13 01:54 AM
    Not sure if you have this, but I used to have 2-Step Authentication on my Gmail accounts. BB10 apparently hates 2-Step and would always prompt me to reautenticate my gmail credentials. I turned it off and it seems to be doing fine as of late.

#imissBIS

2-Step authentication is still possible and secure for BB! You go to google mail, settingsn security settings and you get a 20-digit password for your phone/tablet App!! I saved it once and done... G-Talk was a bit problematic.. My Q10 saved the PW, but continued to prompt.. but then, uninstall, reinstall App G-Talk and tada, worked saving the 20-digit-password!

Please make sure you protect your phone by a password, if you keep saving the email and other passwords to auto login!

10-20-13 02:06 AM
    So, to be clear here (to the OP), your stating it worked fine when on BIS in the past (bbos?), but doesn't now using IMAP directly to the device?

That being the case, your saying the native IMAP push to other (ios, android) devices of such a large account works without issue?

I'm just trying to be sure that you expect, and have experienced, the performance of native push to a limited capacity device works as well as when you had a dedicated enterprise level server processing your emails for you, compressing the data steam, and then sending it to your device?

Would like a bit more clarification here regarding 1) does your Gmail account using IMAP work fine on other mobile os? 2) it had no issues when using BIS specifically on bbos?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:08 AM
    So, to be clear here (to the OP), your stating it worked fine when on BIS in the past (bbos?), but doesn't now using IMAP directly to the device?

That being the case, your saying the native IMAP push to other (ios, android) devices of such a large account works without issue?

I'm just trying to be sure that you expect, and have experienced, the performance of native push to a limited capacity device works as well as when you had a dedicated enterprise level server processing your emails for you, compressing the data steam, and then sending it to your device?

Would like a bit more clarification here regarding 1) does your Gmail account using IMAP work fine on other mobile os? 2) it had no issues when using BIS specifically on bbos?

Posted via CB10
    We're so far off topic, and if people would have just said "yes or no" to having a gmail account they could test.......... but anyways....

1) My gmail account on my 3 iOS devices (and obviously Mac Mail) works fine with syncing forever, and actually has remote search.

2) I have never had a problem with a BlackBerry device going back to 2006, and if you look at my join date, every issue I've had to date, has been with BB10 after they dropped BIS support for new devices.

Did I answer your questions?

10-20-13 02:20 AM
    Yes. The fact remains BIS works fine, native IMAP on other os works fine, native BB10 does not. You have a strong case for testing, and I hope someone can assist and help get this information to the devs and get it sorted. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:34 AM
    Yes. The fact remains BIS works fine, native IMAP on other os works fine, native BB10 does not. You have a strong case for testing, and I hope someone can assist and help get this information to the devs and get it sorted. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks partner.

10-20-13 02:40 AM
    I can try to create a "new" Google account, and limit myself to 1GB, deal? But can't promise anything... have to run it a while to decide if I'll keep it okay? Report... weakly? No, forget the report, I give it a try then report how it worked for me!

10-20-13 03:35 AM
    I can try to create a "new" Google account, and limit myself to 1GB, deal? But can't promise anything... have to run it a while to decide if I'll keep it okay? Report... weakly? No, forget the report, I give it a try then report how it worked for me!

Thanks, but unfortunately creating a new one won't help. I'm trying to find someone with years and years of messages similar to my account.

10-20-13 09:34 AM
    I think by filling the Hub with 500k plus emails is asking for an issue..

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 09:41 AM
    I think by filling the Hub with 500k plus emails is asking for an issue..

Posted via CB10
    Then the option to do so shouldn't be there. This used to be first and foremost an email device. Clearly not anymore.

10-20-13 11:16 AM
    Possibly. I mean if they would have kept remote search in the OS, we wouldn't even have to have this discussion. Not sure why it was left out...

Yeah the indexing nightmare, is definitely a nightmare. I see the benefits of indexing years of email and looking for email addresses to include in "recent contacts" when composing an email, but I certainly see the disaster this can present when people switch email addresses, jobs, etc...

I have email service with Outlook.com (which uses Exchange Active Sync) and I have remote sync on my Q10. Before I set the account to Forever, when I did a search it would also do a remote search of my emails. Can't say I have that many emails though. No more than four or five hundred.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:45 PM
    I have email service with Outlook.com (which uses Exchange Active Sync) and I have remote sync on my Q10. Before I set the account to Forever, when I did a search it would also do a remote search of my emails. Can't say I have that many emails though. No more than four or five hundred.

Posted via CB10
    Should have been more specific. They got rid of remote search for Gmail accounts and that's what we were referring to above. Remote search works fine on EAS accounts, but will only return results going back 90 days. Kinda weird. Another bug they escalated for me.

10-20-13 03:47 PM
    Should have been more specific. They got rid of remote search for Gmail accounts and that's what we were referring to above. Remote search works fine on EAS accounts, but will only return results going back 90 days. Kinda weird. Another bug they escalated for me.

Oh.

Also wanted to mention that on BBOS, BlackBerry basically catered to email providers and used all kinds of workarounds and specific hard-coded settings for specific email providers to make things work, in particular with Gmail. On BB10 they just followed the standards.

Unfortunately, in real life, not everybody follows the standards to a T, especially with Gmail and their lack of proper folder support (Gmail uses "labels" instead which is problematic for syncing).

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:57 PM
    The forever sync is problematic due to the indexing and pulling the contacts to be used for recent contacts.

I hope they can find a way to fix the issue. I have an email that is on forever sync and I noticed a battery drain because of it.

For the OP. Why not create a dummy account and bombard it with emails? 1gb or 2gb of emails?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 06:47 AM
44 12