I wonder if AT&T can recognize the tethering or hotspot features being turned on and charge me?
    03-23-14 11:07 PM
    Yes of course they can!
    03-23-14 11:23 PM
    Yes of course they can!
    Does BlackBerry inform the carrier it is not a normal data usage? In the past the function was blocked by carrier on the device unless you paid. To get around you could use apps after rooting the device.

Now that ATT does not sell Z30 and since I use latest leak from Vodafone, the feature is not locked and looks like I can just use the hot spot.

I just wanted to know if anyone actually tried it.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    03-24-14 08:48 AM
    AT&T normally doesn't care unless you do it frequently, or for a substantial amount of data. It's all automated anyway.
    03-25-14 01:32 PM
    AT&T normally doesn't care unless you do it frequently, or for a substantial amount of data. It's all automated anyway.
    How do they know?
    I remember using my wife's 8900 on T-Mobile and getting nice steady internet but because back then they didn't know about USB host through Blackberry Desktop Connect, they never charged me.
    03-25-14 02:17 PM
    How do they know?
    I remember using my wife's 8900 on T-Mobile and getting nice steady internet but because back then they didn't know about USB host through Blackberry Desktop Connect, they never charged me.
    There are many ways for the wireless carrier to know that you are tethering, the most popular has to do with the browser:
    1. Through the type of browser that you are using.
    2.Another example is mobile version of website vs desktop version. (you will not get mobile version of sites when using your computer).
    04-05-14 11:19 AM
    There are many ways for the wireless carrier to know that you are tethering, the most popular has to do with the browser:
    1. Through the type of browser that you are using.
    2.Another example is mobile version of website vs desktop version. (you will not get mobile version of sites when using your computer).
    I thought info on type of browser was only sent to the server not the ISP
    Mobile version vs desktop version would be a terrible way to determine with more and more devices are capable of displaying desktop version, in fact most sites I check on my Z30 end up being desktop versions.

However, to my surprise I was given an error stating I don't have tethering or hotspot subscription on my plan so that's why I cannot get either one of them to work, even though I am running an OS from a different carrier on a device that was not released by AT&T.
    I guess it is good guy BBRY for carrier, for abiding with rules and subscription limitations of carriers, and it is scumbag bbry for us who bought it unlocked since carrier did not release it in the first place.

So, we cannot user either one unless paid.
    04-05-14 12:04 PM
    I'm surprised that the tether app people or someone hasn't made a masking app for BB10 yet.
    04-05-14 12:10 PM
    I'm surprised that the tether app people or someone hasn't made a masking app for BB10 yet.
    I will try FoxFi to see if it works, I don't have high expectations.
    04-05-14 04:32 PM