What does the BES have to offer and does anyone run thier own BES? What do you need to get it working?

I remember people in the old days used to run the private version of the BES? Or BES lite? I cant remember. It was sort of a lightweight version of the BES or something.

Anyway, anyone doing this?
    07-13-13 05:26 AM
    I run my own Exchange server (because I'm just that big of a geek). Because my wife and daughter and I all had older BB's over the past few years, and because it didn't cost anything, I ran BES Express. Frankly, it was a PITA to install and maintain, but I'll admit I got a kick out of having my own private BES instance.

BB10 changed the game for me in a few ways. First, the phones could connect natively to Exchange, so I didn't actually NEED to run BES anymore. Second, BlackBerry wasn't offering free licenses for BES10 (so far as I know, my free BESx licenses didn't qualify for the free CAL upgrade).

Finally, my employer did upgrade to BES10, and I decided to volunteer as a Guinea Pig to test Balance on my own phone, which finally ruled out doing it on my own server. You can only have one Enterprise account on a BB10.

Personally, I'm actually pretty good with straight ActiveSync for my own account. It integrates easier with the rest of my private stuff than it would through Balance. But that's just me.
    blusls likes this.
    07-13-13 05:47 AM
    I run my own Exchange server (because I'm just that big of a geek). Because my wife and daughter and I all had older BB's over the past few years, and because it didn't cost anything, I ran BES Express. Frankly, it was a PITA to install and maintain, but I'll admit I got a kick out of having my own private BES instance.

BB10 changed the game for me in a few ways. First, the phones could connect natively to Exchange, so I didn't actually NEED to run BES anymore. Second, BlackBerry wasn't offering free licenses for BES10 (so far as I know, my free BESx licenses didn't qualify for the free CAL upgrade).

Finally, my employer did upgrade to BES10, and I decided to volunteer as a Guinea Pig to test Balance on my own phone, which finally ruled out doing it on my own server. You can only have one Enterprise account on a BB10.

Personally, I'm actually pretty good with straight ActiveSync for my own account. It integrates easier with the rest of my private stuff than it would through Balance. But that's just me.
    Same here, I am relieved to no longer have to deal with BES5 issues anymore and having to fight with the bes services not starting after a reboot. Oye!

Posted via my Z10 on busted AT&T
    07-13-13 06:25 AM
    I use a hosted BES exchange service.
    For my uses, it's 99% as effective as having my own box, and much less hassle.
    07-13-13 06:34 AM
    Yes, but he doesn't have to use bes with BB10. Plus, when you are on bes10 you activate balance which allows for the phone to have a work profile and a personal profile with different back grounds and apps.

Like was previously mentioned, device integration without bes10 makes for a better experience as a personal device.

Posted via my Z10 on busted AT&T
    07-13-13 06:39 AM