BB10 has been around for sometime now, but unfortunately has not gain good traction yet.

To increase adoption, one of the (extreme) option is to allow licensing to other handset manufacturers. Let them play with the exterior design to provide variety of proposition to consumer.

Anyone know, why BlackBerry is not yet taking this option?

I hope the decision is not late. I wish BBM were open to multi platform about 4 years ago. If that decision is taken, I imagine that now BBM becomes the SMS 2.0 as the standard messaging application.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 06:34 AM
    Who would want to?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 06:53 AM
    Who would want to?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe Sony, HTC, Huawei, LG.

Maybe with limitation, the licensed hand set cannot connect to BES10 and, to give differentiation, only native BlackBerry hand set can.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 07:08 AM
    I think they offered it up and no one wanted to license it.
    08-02-14 07:23 AM
    It's not that BlackBerry doesn't want to license it. It that no one wants to license it off of them.

Canada Channel C00123A4A
    08-02-14 07:39 AM
    Because any such phones would only compete with BlackBerry phones and the only companies that would be interested are small or low end and would most likely have to rely on another company for components - probably foxcon. BlackBerry already have a deal with foxcon for manufacturing. A reduction of sales for foxcon built BlackBerry phones would result from the the other phones and would only be bad for BlackBerry.
    Sony, HTC, Samsung have to manage their relationship with Google.
    Amazon and foxcon are not reliant on google and are prepared to mix it about a bit and hence entertain a relationship with BlackBerry (and for that matter also Microsoft and Apple)

Also gets very complicated if a manufacturer tried to sell the same or similar phones with option of 2 different os. Because os manufacturers would argue their patented features are being used on a different os platform. Eg BlackBerry keyboard but also features in phone design more subtle than that.
    Last edited by gg bb; 08-02-14 at 08:03 AM.
    08-02-14 07:52 AM
    Maybe Sony, HTC, Huawei, LG.

Maybe with limitation, the licensed hand set cannot connect to BES10 and, to give differentiation, only native BlackBerry hand set can.

Posted via CB10
    Which would put them at a disadvantage compared to iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:14 AM
    It's not that BlackBerry doesn't want to license it. It that no one wants to license it off of them.

Canada Channel C00123A4A
    I must have been missed this. When did BlackBerry offer it?

I still could not understand, manufacturer such as Sony, LG, HTC of which very much dependent to android don't want to diversified. It's like putting their egg on one basket.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:28 AM
    Because any such phones would only compete with BlackBerry phones and the only companies that would be interested are small or low end and would most likely have to rely on another company for components - probably foxcon. BlackBerry already have a deal with foxcon for manufacturing. A reduction of sales for foxcon built BlackBerry phones would result from the the other phones and would only be bad for BlackBerry.
    Sony, HTC, Samsung have to manage their relationship with Google.
    Amazon and foxcon are not reliant on google and are prepared to mix it about a bit and hence entertain a relationship with BlackBerry (and for that matter also Microsoft and Apple)

Also gets very complicated if a manufacturer tried to sell the same or similar phones with option of 2 different os. Because os manufacturers would argue their patented features are being used on a different os platform. Eg BlackBerry keyboard but also features in phone design more subtle than that.
    I think it's been a while ago one manufacturer offer similar phone with different OS. Samsung did it with Android and WP. They try to build phone also their own Tizen OS. I suppose because they need to prepare if somethings goes wild with Google.

Can't think why other manufacturers didn't think the same, i.e their second OS. Every business needs plan B.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:36 AM
    I think it's been a while ago one manufacturer offer similar phone with different OS. Samsung did it with Android and WP. They try to build phone also their own Tizen OS. I suppose because they need to prepare if somethings goes wild with Google.

Can't think why other manufacturers didn't think the same, i.e their second OS. Every business needs plan B.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung make similar tablets with Windows and android. I cant confess to knowing the details or who's right and who's wrong but I understand they are now in a legal dispute with Microsoft about not paying royalties on windows patents applied to android devices.
    08-02-14 12:32 PM