I love almost everything about BB10, but the multi-tasking/active frames in particular seem useless to me. For example, Blaq's active frame shows me random tweets from the people I'm following. However, if I actually see one that interests me, if I try to tap on the frame to see it, all that happens is Blaq opens again and I need to scroll through my feed and hope to find that interesting tweet. Most of the time I can't find it.

If the frame is there to show me interesting/useful info, why is there no way for me to interact with it? It just seems like a gimmicky and useless feature.

Also, the whole multitasking "page" on the homescreen seems pretty ugly in general. It's non symmetrical, it's inconsistent because of the active frames, and gets really awkward when you try to open more than 6 apps at a time (at least on my Passport, since it starts forcing other apps to shrink). Reminds me of someone have a ton of internet explorer tabs open at the same time on Windows XP or something...not cool

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 04:47 PM
    i like them. i can keep several open and not have to swipe through pages of apps to find them to make a quick post or comment.
    05-10-15 05:12 PM
    lots of us have been clamoring for more interactivity with the active frames and i have yet to see a difference on 10.3.1. Maybe 10.3.2 has or will address it? some apps' active frames show somewhat pertinent information some just don't and definitely no interaction with any of them besides re-opening the app itself. Long-pressing the frames should give us more options than just rearranging them. it's a feature that hasn't gotten any attention since BB10's initiation.
    05-10-15 05:16 PM
    lots of us have been clamoring for more interactivity with the active frames and i have yet to see a difference on 10.3.1. Maybe 10.3.2 has or will address it? some apps' active frames show somewhat pertinent information some just don't and definitely no interaction with any of them besides re-opening the app itself. Long-pressing the frames should give us more options than just rearranging them. it's a feature that hasn't gotten any attention since BB10's initiation.
    I agree. I have always wanted a way to interact with active frames. Even Windows 10 is adding a way to interact with their widgets (or whatever they're called lol)

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 07:20 PM
    On Q10, the frames are just too big, eating up all the spaces. They should allow user to resize or choose the layout of the frames.

Posted from kyuten
    05-10-15 07:24 PM
    On Q10, the frames are just too big, eating up all the spaces. They should allow user to resize or choose the layout of the frames.

Posted from kyuten
    Agreed!!!

Just like in windows 10

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 07:30 PM
    I agree too, I mean, they call them active frames, but most aren't active. You'd think the calendar one would show your full agenda or something instead of just the next event, I can see better in the hub. Their more like a giant icon with some to minimal information, taking up a lot of space. I'd like more info, refresh interval choices, opacity settings (so they could be see though with just the info showing).
    muellerto likes this.
    05-11-15 11:49 AM
    I like them. They are easy for multitasking for me. A quick and useful way to jump in and out of apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-15 12:04 PM
    For now I like them, because it's easier to switch from an app to the other: also you get useful informations and the app it's active until you want it to be!

I guess it's only the beginning: I hope active frames will become more useful and responding if only they will show the true activity of the application like i.e. showing an youtube movie instead of remaining "freezed".
    05-11-15 12:05 PM
    I don't use them or even widgets on my tablet. I prefer a clean screen. Personal preference.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Tab 4
    05-11-15 12:11 PM
    Active frames are the dog's bollox... No other OS facilitates fast and smooth task switching like OS10.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    TheAuthority likes this.
    05-11-15 12:13 PM
    I don't like activframes either, but we have to live with those.

Passport
    05-11-15 12:17 PM
    I think they might be somewhat more appropriate on something like the lock screen rather than the homescreen. Since you can't interact with them anyways and the info they provide is only a preview.

I don't know what an alternative could be for multitasking, but active frames just seem like a wasted effort. BlackBerry is good at coming up with intuitive designs, so they shouldn't have a hard time coming up with something better than active frames!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 12:48 PM
    There is definitely a lot more room to improve functionality and interaction with active frames.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 12:57 PM
    I wish the frames were like cards in WebOS. Flick the ones you're done with away, and organize the others in groups if you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    AlexRamallo likes this.
    05-11-15 01:05 PM
    I think active frames are 'ok' for app switching but could be better.

I quite like androids widgets, they serve a better purpose, or even windows tiles.

The app switching on iOS isn't too bad either, double tap home button and swipe through open apps, nice way of multitasking.

Rather than swipe up and peek right into the hub, I'd like to see swipe up and peek left to see list of open apps in thumbnail view, leaving active frames to progress to something better

Anyone else not like active frames?-sketch_untitled_27.jpg

Resolving in even Faster switching between open apps, almost mimicking the beloved playbook

Posted via CB10
    iamagod and bruce73 like this.
    05-11-15 01:53 PM
    I like the multitasking, although the active part is a little bit useless in it's current state. I think that sentiment rings true with most of the other comments posted so far.

I like that I can see which apps are running, I like that I can swap between apps with a quick swipe and a tap, I like that I can keep my most used apps open and immediately accessible, but to actually look at an active frame to gather pertinent information is a crap shoot. For example, I open six BlackBerry apps and this is what I get. Browser shows the last page I was on in the Active Frame, BBM scrolls through so and so "changed display picture" endlessly, Maps shows a blank map, Contacts shows the list of contacts or the name and picture of the contact I last selected, Calendar shows upcoming events, and Weather shows the weather. At best, I'd say half of those are useful in any way, and they are all BlackBerry produced apps. Because of that I instinctively ignore the active frame and just open the app. Inevitably I've just been treating the Active Frames like large icons that show which apps are running.
    05-11-15 01:54 PM
    Active frames are the dog's bollox... No other OS facilitates fast and smooth task switching like OS10.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Well Meego and Sailfish use Active Frame, Sailfish uses them better because they have Custom Actions
    05-11-15 02:20 PM

Posted from kyuten
    Well, layout is upto developers, I'd rather not have frames which can resized, would be even more of a pain to design them
    05-11-15 02:23 PM
    Keep in mind: These active frames were implemented in BlackBerry Tablet OS and are the equivalent of long pressing the BlackBerry button (or was it the back button?) in BBOS devices.

Just wish there was more interactivity with them. And ability to resize them is a plus.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    05-11-15 02:34 PM
    I just want what we had with the PlayBook (...in "Showcase Mode" -- I want my videos to keep playing, dammit!).

(I also want stuff launched e.g. from the Browser's downloads list, to detatch into its own thread (EDIT: ...and not in the current half-the-functionality form) -- all kudos to the idea of "Flow", but the way it is done, it locks you into an infuriating single-tasking cage, which kills any actual flow, instead of enabling it.)
    Doggerz and iamagod like this.
    05-11-15 02:44 PM
    Regarding the issue of interacting with Active Frames, a developer must code that into their app.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:00 PM
    I wish the frames were like cards in WebOS. Flick the ones you're done with away, and organize the others in groups if you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    Just reminded me how awesome WebOS's app switching was. I think something similar would be great on BB10.

For example, to get out of an app you currently need to swipe up from the bottom of the screen. In order to keep the "Flow" design, this could push the current app's card to the top of a vertical stack. If you keep swiping up with the same gesture, then you can scroll through this vertical stack of open app cards....kind of like a trackball!

One problem I see with this though is that having to swipe multiple times to get to another app at the bottom of the stack could be annoying.

Posted via CB10
    tp2386 likes this.
    05-11-15 05:40 PM
    I love Active Frames:

"Active Frames are really much like the computing paradigm where you come to office in the morning, you open up your Outlook, your email, your Power Point, whatever it may be, and you kind of leave those apps running all day. That's really what we wanted to do in the mobile computing space." --Vivek Bhardwaj

That's what I wanted in the mobile computing space. Mission accomplished.
    05-11-15 07:57 PM
    Regarding the issue of interacting with Active Frames, a developer must code that into their app.

Posted via CB10
    yeah but to what extent can interactivity be programmed? i've only seen just info displayed. should be customizable.
    05-11-15 11:40 PM
30 12