If they were coming out around the same time as BB10 it would be difficult, however we have plenty of time.

as for what someone above said about the whole ubuntu<linux<qnx thing, definitely.

And i also agree that Linux(ubuntu or any debian)>windows. it's a shame that so much is developed for windows. That being said, many are now developing for LInux, and i hope that RIM brings their apps to Linux, as well. so i don't have to reboot to windows as often.
    01-05-13 09:31 AM
    People don't understand that BlackBerry 10 is a niche OS and won't grab relevant market share any time soon.
    BlackBerry needs other platforms to succeed. The more market share Android and iOS lose, more developers will switch to cross-platforms development using HTML5, reducing the ecosystem gap.
    If the duopoly Android-iOS becomes even more dominant, developers will concentrate in two native apps for each big player and the third player will be irrelevant in the long run.
    So, if Ubuntu, Firefox Os, Jolla Sailfish, can hit android in the low end, is great for blackberry. If Windows Phone and Tizen grab medium-high strata of the consumer market, is good for BlackBerry.
    01-05-13 12:34 PM
    If they were coming out around the same time as BB10 it would be difficult, however we have plenty of time.

as for what someone above said about the whole ubuntu<linux<qnx thing, definitely.

And i also agree that Linux(ubuntu or any debian)>windows. it's a shame that so much is developed for windows. That being said, many are now developing for LInux, and i hope that RIM brings their apps to Linux, as well. so i don't have to reboot to windows as often.
    According to some news online, UBUNTU is coming to Galaxy Nexus this January 2013!!!! Its already running on the Galaxy Nexus see the video here
    01-05-13 03:19 PM
    Got to love the thin client possibilities.

But for me, this Ubuntu OS looks like a premium themepack or launcher for android. Half of the swipes look very painful to do.
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    01-05-13 04:08 PM
    Okay since everyone else is afraid to say it I will!!!! You are a TROLL with a capital T!!!. From your avatar all I see are apple products. Why would you come to a blackberry dedicated site and use apple products in your display???
    Not my fault if you have vision problems. There's a PS Vita, Kindle, 2 Android Tablets, A Galaxy S III, a HP Envy 14 laptop and a Bold 9900 that sure weren't made by Apple in that photo. ****, even my Macbook pro is clearly running Windows 7.

People afraid of good, clear logic have called me an Apple, Microsoft, Google fanboy in the past here on CB...I recognize trolling (due to lack of any reasonable argument) for what it is and move on. Just weird I never got the memo where the paranoia was going to be cranked up to include avatar surveillance
    01-05-13 04:54 PM
    I see no noteworthy resemblance other that they both have a heavy emphasis on gestures. I'd understand if there was some overlap in what gestures do what, but there isn't. The closest I've seen to BB10 is Sailfish, but that's based on Meego whick BB10 was originally accused of being a copy of.

I am not angry at Ububtu, in fact I embrace it and hope they are successful. I like Ubuntu Desktop, especially with Unity and it's enhancements it offers to the GUI.

In reference to the phone, Ubuntu is a force to be reckoned with. What they are doing is making it easier to get the content you want. The Just Type feature was one of my favorite things on WebOS, and there focus on bringing Web Apps front and center is a good idea. No native Gmail app? Who cares, you can use the Web App.

Now, is it going to beat RIM? No. Ubuntu Phone is clearly a consumer device. It is going after Tizen and FireFox OS. And if they can get a manufacture like Samsung or LG to make a phone for them, they will help with carrier partners.

I'm excited for the new smartphone OS's. It's going to be exciting.
    Actually, they did talk up potential enterprise use in the video, referring to Ubuntu's (desktop) current presence, its security, and that the phones can be managed with the same tools as the desktop. Plus you can have the full Ubuntu desktop experience from your phone by hooking it up to a monitor (BB10 doesn't even have a desktop counterpart.) Ubuntu could be quite the competitor for RIM considering that Canonical actually gets somewhere with it.
    01-05-13 05:06 PM
56 123