02-01-15 04:40 PM
47 12
tools
    Then why can you hide on your router? I see no difference.
    Because people asked vendors to do it. Vendors do anything to get money from customers. R&D doesn't have luxury of always doing the right thing. Once one vendor did it, the others have to follow to protect sales. I know I've had to put in some stupid features because sales asked for it because customer asked/demanded it . (Like putting 16 VAPs into a single AP... I didn't do that one, but another vendor did. And they only did it because the tender from the customer asked for it. Regardless of how much proof of stupidity I provided due to management overhead, they did it to win the tender...)

Yesterday, I was trying to correct a guy who has some misconceptions about wireless, and he threw it back in my face that he's been in wireless for 23 years (like he knows better).

Bottomline, it's bad for spectrum management. And there is no more spectrum to go around, so the more devices that are put up, the worse it gets. So if you were co-located with many other AP's, you're an ahole. But if you just use it in your small office where there are no other AP's around, its not that big of a deal other than your company doesn't want you to do that.
    Last edited by BCITMike; 01-30-15 at 05:46 PM.
    01-30-15 05:36 PM
    I'm pretty sure I could hide it on all the brands of routers I've ever had. But I've had no reason to hide it or not broadcast it at home.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-30-15 05:46 PM
    I'm pretty sure I could hide it on all the brands of routers I've ever had. But I've had no reason to hide it or not broadcast it at home.
    But your reason for hiding it at work is to keep people who aren't smart enough to load simple software from finding it. Given how easy that is to do, I conclude that you believe your co-workers aren't sufficiently socialize enough for leave other people's stuff alone, and at the same time not smart enough to find your hidden hotspot and rat you out if they can't use it. Not a good bet in my book.

You also have to be careful about what you connect to it with yourself. Some devices are broken enough that when they have been connected to hidden hotspots they spend their days probing for them. So even when your hotspot is off, your other devices could be advertising it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    01-31-15 11:00 AM
    But your reason for hiding it at work is to keep people who aren't smart enough to load simple software from finding it. Given how easy that is to do, I conclude that you believe your co-workers aren't sufficiently socialize enough for leave other people's stuff alone, and at the same time not smart enough to find your hidden hotspot and rat you out if they can't use it. Not a good bet in my book.

You also have to be careful about what you connect to it with yourself. Some devices are broken enough that when they have been connected to hidden hotspots they spend their days probing for them. So even when your hotspot is off, your other devices could be advertising it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    D'oh. You still don't get it. Don't make it so complicated or start a thread on how dumb it is. Sheese
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 12:13 PM
    No, I do get it. You don't want other people seeing your Wi-Fi hotspot. Is that not correct? Or is it that you don't want people who don't have the tools to see your hotspot?

I just think that in either case there are enough people who would see it anyway that it either doesn't matter, or you will be found out anyway. If there's nothing contrary to your employer's policy to running one, just do it. Use a good password and obscure SSID. People may see it, but they won't get in. If it is contrary to policy, are you sure you want to take the chance on such a poor technique?

Most unauthorized hotspots I've been involved in taking down were initially discovered by those running authorised networks.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    01-31-15 03:48 PM
    No you don't. I said they aren't the NSA and always go looking. They open their WiFi and view what networks are around, they don't do anything about it, if my SSID isn't visible that way they have nothing to wonder about. There is an old adage KISS. It applies to what I'm talking about.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 03:57 PM
    WiFi scanners or hackers don't give a crackers hoot what your SSID is and don't care. They are looking for the signal and on what channel frequency. Fact is, if it's on it's connectable and defiantly detectable. Not to mention very hackable with the simplest WiFi equipment and software because of the radio signal. No such thing as a secure network of any kind. You are asking for a Ghost WiFi Hot Spot but takes a router that has a switching driver that reconfigures your used channel at timed intervals with a NULL SSID. Problem with that is you need the same paired operation on the client. A simpler way would be inclined to alter the WiFi channel frequency outside normal WiFi band. However this is against FCC regulation without permission or special licence issued by them. Resulting in same penalty as running a Pirate Radio Station.
    In short, it can't be done, legally. FCC put standards in place to assure it can't. Dang..
    Or Spies, etc. Would have a field day. FCC has sniffers in space (SAT's) scanning for misfits 24-7.. Good idea but can't use and hide it too. If that is what OP is asking. On just about any router you can turn off broadcasting and lower the transmit power to the point you almost have to be on top of it to use it. That's about as hidden as you can get on WiFi. Office space : switch it on, use it, switch it off. Soon, your car in the parking lot that's parked next to your office window will be your Hot Spot.. :-) JM2Cents

Oh, another option, is when naming your SSID just use the space key or two as that ASCII character will show up as nothing and you can then on the client side use "spacebar" to request connect name. Other then that, not possible. You maybe able to use other ASCII characters that will help too. If you run across something else, I would like to hear about it. Good luck.. Not trying to get off subject but cover all known bases not only for you but others who maybe mulling this subject also.

Akawarrior..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by akawarrior; 02-01-15 at 04:35 AM.
    01-31-15 07:57 PM
    KISS

How many times do I have to repeat it isn't about that!

Oh well, keep going off topic if you must.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 08:26 PM
    KISS

How many times do I have to repeat it isn't about that!

Oh well, keep going off topic if you must.

It's pretty simple, the answer to your question is no. I think everyone thought that was an obvious answer.

If I ever use hotspot on phone, I want it easily found by whatever device I turned to on for.
    01-31-15 09:34 PM
    It's pretty simple, the answer to your question is no. I think everyone thought that was an obvious answer.

If I ever use hotspot on phone, I want it easily found by whatever device I turned to on for.
    So you're anyone? I see other members who posted they would like the option.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 09:42 PM
    I don't need the option (nor do I want it) If I needed to get Internet service from my phone without showing my SSID to my neighbors, I would just use USB tethering. Aside from the carrier network ( and those fancy blokes with signal sniffers) , nobody would know.
    01-31-15 09:48 PM
    And why waste your time? Aren't you supposed to be working
    kbz1960 and akawarrior like this.
    01-31-15 09:50 PM
    Why would you want to use mobile Hotspot and just hide it anyway? Why not use mobile data if you just want to hide your Hotspot?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 10:01 PM
    Anyone else interested? Hide hotspot SSID.-charlie-brown.jpg
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 10:06 PM
    I don't need the option (nor do I want it) If I needed to get Internet service from my phone without showing my SSID to my neighbors, I would just use USB tethering. Aside from the carrier network ( and those fancy blokes with signal sniffers) , nobody would know.
    Good for you. Then you do that. It's your choice. I don't have a choice since I can not.
    sam81 likes this.
    01-31-15 10:07 PM
    I definitely be interested. However when I'm sniffing for broadcasting networks I can see something is there even if it is not broadcasting the ssid. Heck I can even see if somehow is connected to it and can sniff the password being used.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-15 11:24 PM
    I definitely be interested. However when I'm sniffing for broadcasting networks I can see something is there even if it is not broadcasting the ssid. Heck I can even see if somehow is connected to it and can sniff the password being used.

Posted via CB10
    Damn you're good!
    02-01-15 01:20 AM
    No you don't. I said they aren't the NSA and always go looking. They open their WiFi and view what networks are around, they don't do anything about it, if my SSID isn't visible that way they have nothing to wonder about. There is an old adage KISS. It applies to what I'm talking about.
    Well then you have two options, use something else like MyFi (I already suggested this), or wait until BlackBerry implements it. Since they haven't implemented it yet and tend to adhere to standards you may be waiting quite a while.

And I think you're incorrect in your assessment of people. But since it sounds like using a different hotspot isn't an option for some reason the point is moot.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-01-15 08:04 AM
    The thread was started to see if there was enough interest that maybe bb would think about adding an option.
    02-01-15 10:04 AM
    So you're anyone? I see other members who posted they would like the option.
    Yes, I am *anyone*. You meant to say *everyone*.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 03:04 PM
    Yes, I am *anyone*. You meant to say *everyone*.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed.
    02-01-15 03:39 PM
    The thread was started to see if there was enough interest that maybe bb would think about adding an option.
    In case you haven't guessed I'm not interested.

If you still want to pursue it I suggest the BlackBerry Jira site or the beta zone.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-01-15 04:40 PM
47 12