Yes but what I mentioned before still counts. You can use a number but you must retain that number if you want retain your account. If the carrier or government decides to cancel your SIM and your number goes to someone else, then somebody else has access to your account or can delete it.

I had thought of this option for many services, WeChat is similar for example. I can use a throw away or dummy number to set up but if I do this, I run the risk of someone else taking over my account. That number is supposed to uniquely identify me and it's assumed I'm always physically with that device, so it's entirely reasonable to use that number for any password recovery or confirmation.

If Signal had zero plans to monetize this and doing it strictly for the good of the people and wanted something robust and reliable, they ought to run federated servers.
    Enable 2fa, and no one else can ever get in.

No one can guarantee they will always be ad-free, but they certainly won't monetize user data. They provide full access at any time for anyone to perform a security audit of their systems.

https://restoreprivacy.com/secure-en...g-apps/signal/
    04-03-21 09:45 PM
    Enable 2fa, and no one else can ever get in.
    But how do I get back in on a different device if let's say someone gains access to the number I used to sign up, and uses up all the PIN guesses and my current device becomes inaccessible?
    04-04-21 08:21 AM
    But how do I get back in on a different device if let's say someone gains access to the number I used to sign up, and uses up all the PIN guesses and my current device becomes inaccessible?
    "Registration Lock prevents your account from being re-registered on another device without the PIN you used to sign up for Signal being provided. With Registration Lock enabled, whoever gets ahold of your SIM or Google Voice account will also need to know your PIN to use your account."

You would have plenty of time to delete your data, and close your account once you know what's going on. Then just start a new account with another virtual number. It's a pain, but your data is safe, and it's not like it happens every day.
    04-04-21 08:27 AM
    "Registration Lock prevents your account from being re-registered on another device without the PIN you used to sign up for Signal being provided. With Registration Lock enabled, whoever gets ahold of your SIM or Google Voice account will also need to know your PIN to use your account."

You would have plenty of time to delete your data, and close your account once you know what's going on. Then just start a new account with another virtual number. It's a pain, but your data is safe, and it's not like it happens every day.
    Well, I've done a bit of testing and it doesn't really notify you if someone uses up all the PIN guesses, so you'd really only find out if you were trying to sign into your new device. But, regardless, I think we can agree that using your phone number is a con for privacy focused persons - even the article you provided agrees.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-21 08:36 AM
    Well, I've done a bit of testing and it doesn't really notify you if someone uses up all the PIN guesses, so you'd really only find out if you were trying to sign into your new device. But, regardless, I think we can agree that using your phone number is a con for privacy focused persons - even the article you provided agrees.

Posted via CB10
    We can agree on that, yes. But at least the data is safe.
    04-04-21 08:38 AM
    We can agree on that, yes. But at least the data is safe.
    As safe as data can be.....give them time..lol
    04-04-21 10:10 AM
31 12