Simple question to everyone - is there any way to disable or turn off the feature to swipe up to unlock the screen?

I got so used to simply pressing the power button momentarily to lock the screen from the days of using legacy BB's, I find that swiping to unlock the screen after whatever timeout I have it set to (10, 20, 30 sec) is quickly becoming a nuisance. I would simply click the power button to lock the screen and click power button to unlock when moving around. But now with the z10, I click the power button to unlock then have to swipe to make certain I wish to unlock... rather redundant - especially when sitting at a desk and the phone's less susceptible to unwanted key press.

Was wondering if there's a way to completely disable the "swipe up to unlock" feature. I don't mind the screen timing-out (dimming out to save battery life), but why do I *have* to swipe to unlock it while it's just sitting on a desk or whatnot...

Haven't seen any option to do so. Quite frankly, options in general seem rather lacking with BB10 - of course, it's a new OS, so it's to be expected... but still would be nice to know if & what BB will be tweaking in future updates.
    04-08-13 10:38 AM
    I'm not sure but I think I saw something somewhere in the settings about how you can turn off gestures when phone is off. I'll find it for sure!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 10:57 AM
    Found it, go to settings, display, allow gestures when locked and turn it off. I tried it and now you can't turn on the device without pressing the on button. And I don't have a password so you don't need one for it to work!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:00 AM
    U can find it in setting choose display and turn off the swipe to unlock

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:00 AM
    Any way to turn off "swipe up to unlock screen" feature?-img_00000180.png

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:01 AM
    Never mind my answer as I just read your full post. Hope my answer is useful for someone. Don't know how to help you thought. Sorry

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:02 AM
    Found it, go to settings, display, allow gestures when locked and turn it off. I tried it and now you can't turn on the device without pressing the on button. And I don't have a password so you don't need one for it to work!

Posted via CB10
    Right but still need to swipe up to unlock the screen after pressing the power button even with that option "allow gestures" turned off.

See, I'd prefer to "unlock" the screen by momentarily clicking the power button instead of swiping up...

That's why I was asking whether or not there's a way to completely disable the "swipe up to unlock" feature
    04-08-13 11:13 AM
    If you turn it on then you don't have to press the button.
    I assume you're trying to cut down the number of steps?
    You can't have it so you can just have the button to unlock, you can have the button and the swipe or just the swipe

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 11:38 AM
    ya, trying to reduce steps ....

Wish there were a third option: click power button to unlock without the additional step of swiping up.
    stardomains likes this.
    04-08-13 11:41 AM
    ya, trying to reduce steps ....

Wish there were a third option: click power button to unlock without the additional step of swiping up.
    If you have the settings to allow gestures while locked on, then don't bother hitting the top power button. Just swipe up from the black, sleeping screen. When you pick up the phone, or have it laying flat on your desk, this is far easier than reaching up to the top button.
    04-08-13 11:50 AM
    Yeah sorry I don't know of a way of doing that. Still a swipe to unlock is the same number of steps as push to unlock. Once you get used to it you won't miss the button. Not ideal for you I know, but it's the only advice I can offer

Posted via CB10
    kolok likes this.
    04-08-13 11:52 AM
    I agree,
    The fastest way to unlock a phone is a full fast swipe from the bottom. This is one fast swipe and DONE! The other cool feature of the swipe is that you can peak to see what message came in or what time it is, and when you swipe back down past the bezel it goes back to sleep. This "up-down-off" feature is so sweet. I love how it turns itself back off....no buttons!
    04-08-13 12:06 PM
    I agree with the premise of the OP's question.

It's pointless to have a "lock screen" if the phone doesn't have a password set. Without a password set, the phone isn't "locked" in the first place, and the lock screen offers no additional security. It also offers no additional protection against accidental dialing, since when the screen times out it also becomes unresponsive, and when you wake it back up again, you want to use it. Having to get rid of the lock screen is a pointless additional step, unless it's actually "locked" with a password.

In conclusion, the "lock screen" should only appear on devices with a password set. On other devices, waking the device up with the power button should either go straight to the home screen or maybe to whatever state the phone was in before the timeout.
    kolok likes this.
    04-10-13 12:35 PM
    What? The lock screen most certainly prevents me from pocket dialing or accidentally opening the browser or opening apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:48 PM
    What? The lock screen most certainly prevents me from pocket dialing or accidentally opening the browser or opening apps.

Posted via CB10
    Please explain how it does this. I never see the lock screen except when I want it to go away.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 01:05 PM
    Provided you have gestures enabled, when your screen times out you need to swipe up to unlock. If you don't swipe all the way and let go of your finger to unlock your screen, you get the lock screen which shows the time, calendar appointments, etc.

Since you need to swipe up to reactivate the screen as opposed to just touching it somewhere, it's really unlikely that you'll accidentally make a call, open an app, send a message, etc. while the phone is in your pocket.

Usually I only see the lock screen when I do a half swipe to check the time or to look at my next calendar event. If I want to unlock the screen itself I just swipe up all the way...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 01:29 PM
    Yes, I see that some people might fins the lock screen useful, but I'd prefer to skip it and just go to the hub. There's another thread about whether keeping "Allow gestures from lock Screen" off might extend battery life. Obviously if we have a password set, the lock screen serves as a kind of barrier, but if we don't have a password, we should at least have the option of not having to perform two operations to get to the home screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 02:19 PM
    You don't need to ever enter the lock screen though unless you want to. Just keep swiping up with your finger and you'll go right past the lock screen and right into wherever you left off.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 02:28 PM
    You don't need to ever enter the lock screen though unless you want to. Just keep swiping up with your finger and you'll go right past the lock screen and right into wherever you left off.
    That only applies when lock screen gestures are turned on. Those of us who turn them off must still enter the lock screen when we hit the power button, and then get rid of it. This the thing that serves no purpose. The phone isn't locked but we still have to navigate the lock screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 03:36 PM
    i dun think u can......lol.......its a big featur on z10.....why do u want to turn off....lol....
    04-10-13 03:46 PM
    i dun think u can......lol.......its a big featur on z10.....why do u want to turn off....lol....
    Having a lock screen when unlocked is a major feature?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 04:31 AM

I agree,
    The fastest way to unlock a phone is a full fast swipe from the bottom. This is one fast swipe and DONE! The other cool feature of the swipe is that you can peak to see what message came in or what time it is, and when you swipe back down past the bezel it goes back to sleep. This "up-down-off" feature is so sweet. I love how it turns itself back off....no buttons!
    ^this

I love the way it works on the Z10
    I used to have pocket dials all the time until the 9900. That was a good hidden button.
    But the Z10 is much faster and your thumb is already in position to do whatever you need to.
    This is actually one of my favorite features of the Z10.
    Not sure why anyone would have it set with the button AND the swipe. Just use the swipe. Wayyyy faster and more convenient IMO
    Just takes some getting out of your old habits.
    04-11-13 08:13 AM
    Not sure why anyone would have it set with the button AND the swipe. Just use the swipe. Wayyyy faster and more convenient IMO
    See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-tip-793352/

My whole point is that nobody should have to deal with button AND swipe. Those of us who choose to turn off lock screen gestures shouldn't have to deal with the lock screen at all, unless we actually lock the phone.

I agree that the single swipe is nice and easy, and that's how I had it set for a week or so, but I am finding that I get better battery life with it turned off, so I prefer to just use the power button. The added step of having to swipe away the lock screen just doesn't make any sense.
    kolok likes this.
    04-11-13 08:26 AM
    I get what you mean.

Easily solved, just needs a customisation button in the settings so people can have it how they like.

It's probably not high on the priority list though considering it's only a minor inconvenience for a small amount of users

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 08:36 AM
    settings > display > allow power button to unlock device

clicking on "allow gestures when locked" gives you both options.

not sure if this has always been there or if it has just been added. i had the same question -- phone has been in my possession for 24 hours now.

hope i can get used to no trackpad sooner than later.
    06-06-13 03:47 PM
26 12