I am a Blackberry fan and I don't want to switch to android or any other platform , as whatsapp support is going to end in 2017 for BB10 , so is there any way to use it after because we can install android apps in bb10 so can we install Whatsapp android app on BB device to use it ?
    05-23-16 05:25 AM
    Does WA work now? I think it should continue to work until you update your OS or the app needs updating. otherwise, eventually it will stop being fully functional and you will need to switch to another messenger.
    05-23-16 05:31 AM
    I don't think anyone knows what will happen to wa on 12/31

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 06:23 AM
    My guess is they're going to pull another snap on BB10 devices, so that the WhatsApp Android Apk doesn't work.
    05-23-16 08:01 AM
    I don't think anyone knows what will happen to wa on 12/31

Posted via CB10
    The in-app announcement already states it'll stop working. On top of that, Dkonigsberg already stated that it'll stop connecting to their servers sometime after the given date.

No, it won't keep working. Sometime after you pass the deprecation date, our servers will likely just stop letting your app even connect.
    OP - Android apk might work, but I don't know how well it would work by that time on the aging runtime

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-23-16 08:02 AM
    05-23-16 08:04 AM
    Runtime is easily high enough version wise that the android version should work for a few years more.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    05-23-16 08:49 AM
    Trouble is, there is no way to get the backups from the BlackBerry version into the Android version installed on a BlackBerry OS 10 device, and WA won't initialize without them. It just keeps looking for the old backup files which are there but can't be read. At least, that's the problem I've had. Maybe someone knows how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 09:15 AM
    Well, we can just use remote desktop software to Access our windows pc on the blackberry and then use the whatsapp desktop software client instead.... "insert new highbrow emotion from colbert here". Lol

This info passed on with the BlackBerry Passport!
    05-23-16 09:21 AM
    No whatsapp next year..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Any way to run Whatsapp on Blackberry Z30 in 2017?-img_20160523_195842.png

Posted via my awesome Passport
    05-23-16 09:29 AM
    Don't worry. If whatsapp decides to stop the support, it will stop some day. So far, we still use it, right? On the very day whatsapp stops working, we still have a work around : apk. I actually tried. It is OK.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    05-23-16 10:08 AM
    Trouble is, there is no way to get the backups from the BlackBerry version into the Android version installed on a BlackBerry OS 10 device, and WA won't initialize without them. It just keeps looking for the old backup files which are there but can't be read. At least, that's the problem I've had. Maybe someone knows how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Never had this problem at all..

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 11:42 AM
    Never had this problem at all..

Posted via CB10
    Please tell me how you managed to install the Android WA on a BlackBerry OS 10 device.

Did you have the BlackBerry version installed as well, or did you delete it first? Did you have an SD card? I can't get past the "Looking for backups" screen. Maybe there is some trick to it, like deleting WA for BlackBerry first, or taking the SD card out. I just haven't been able to make it work. Someone else in CB said there is no way to get the Android WA to see or read the backups that are on the BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 12:24 PM
    Don't worry. If whatsapp decides to stop the support, it will stop some day. So far, we still use it, right? On the very day whatsapp stops working, we still have a work around : apk. I actually tried. It is OK.

Posted via my beloved Passport solid black edition
    But I have read the android WhatsApp cannot send pictures or files. That will be a big blow!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-23-16 12:50 PM
    The in-app announcement already states it'll stop working. On top of that, Dkonigsberg already stated that it'll stop connecting to their servers sometime after the given date.

OP - Android apk might work, but I don't know how well it would work by that time on the aging runtime

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I have a question, something that's bothered me about this EOL on WhatsApp, and haven't seen it addressed. WHY are they continuing to pump out beta versions of WhatsApp on BB10 when they already know they're going to pull the plug in 7 months?

I don't get it. At all.

Why not just put an update on the latest stable release with a little pop up telling people that it's dead as of Jan 1, 2017? Just curious, I don't personally use WhatsApp, but it's weird to me that they're still developing it on BB10...
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-24-16 07:04 PM
    Yes it is funny that Blackberry supported Whatsapp in their early days. They have the best Beta program going with BB to test new updates. BlackBerry has been then for them when they could have been pushing BBM harder like Apple does with facetime vs WA. You would think that those things would matter. 9 Apps offers WA for free and the android runtime is only 2.1.The version they are offering is 2.16.94 they state it is a beta version with the WA contacts for feedback. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & semi retired Z10
    05-24-16 10:20 PM
    Yes it is funny that Blackberry supported Whatsapp in their early days. They have the best Beta program going with BB to test new updates. BlackBerry has been then for them when they could have been pushing BBM harder like Apple does with facetime vs WA. You would think that those things would matter. 9 Apps offers WA for free and the android runtime is only 2.1.The version they are offering is 2.16.94 they state it is a beta version with the WA contacts for feedback. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & semi retired Z10
    What I don't understand is why not just EOL the app for support but continue to let it work? Why deliberately cut it off? I guess it helps to think in terms of desktop applications vs mobile applications... I can run pretty much any app on my Windows 8.1 desktop without fear of the developer cutting off my access to said app. I understand that they won't continue to develop it (fair enough).

But it would be definitely be weird to me if an app developer on XP suddenly announced they were cutting off users, no? Or is it just me?

It's not like WhatsApp is buggy on BlackBerry 10. From what I gather it runs just fine, and has a big following, so why cut those users off at the knees?
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-24-16 10:27 PM
    It's also funny that despite being a trending topic on CB, none of the usual heavy hitters have weighed in, lol.
    05-24-16 10:47 PM
    Please tell me how you managed to install the Android WA on a BlackBerry OS 10 device.

Did you have the BlackBerry version installed as well, or did you delete it first? Did you have an SD card? I can't get past the "Looking for backups" screen. Maybe there is some trick to it, like deleting WA for BlackBerry first, or taking the SD card out. I just haven't been able to make it work. Someone else in CB said there is no way to get the Android WA to see or read the backups that are on the BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    Deleted the bb10 version, installed the apk and it worked flawlessly. I dont know what else to say

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-25-16 01:53 AM
    What I don't understand is why not just EOL the app for support but continue to let it work? Why deliberately cut it off? I guess it helps to think in terms of desktop applications vs mobile applications... I can run pretty much any app on my Windows 8.1 desktop without fear of the developer cutting off my access to said app. I understand that they won't continue to develop it (fair enough).

But it would be definitely be weird to me if an app developer on XP suddenly announced they were cutting off users, no? Or is it just me?

It's not like WhatsApp is buggy on BlackBerry 10. From what I gather it runs just fine, and has a big following, so why cut those users off at the knees?
    Whatsapp has two components: the installed app and the server backend. These two parts must know how to comunicate with eachother or the full app will not work. Probably Whatsapp is planning a redesign of their server backend code and thus must also change the app. And they decided that changing APIs for the BB10 version of the app is just not worth the effort.

Most applications on a desktop PC are offline apps and require no communication with a server side. What applications do you use on your Windows 8.1 desktop that are NOT mostly offline apps?
    05-25-16 03:14 AM
    why don't we stop complaining about the same thing and send a letter to Mr Chen, all the blackberry fans around the world telling him that we are alive and using BB10 and we don't want to move to android, that we spent a lot of money in BB phone and they must have respect for every cent spent on their phones because we work a lot for every single thing we buy, we want whatsapp, facebook, RT upgrade, more BB10 updates beyond 10.3.4.... etc..... WORK MAN! don't give up!.
    Don't know, should be a website to sign a petition or something.
    05-25-16 05:03 AM
    Whatsapp has two components: the installed app and the server backend. These two parts must know how to comunicate with eachother or the full app will not work. Probably Whatsapp is planning a redesign of their server backend code and thus must also change the app. And they decided that changing APIs for the BB10 version of the app is just not worth the effort.

Most applications on a desktop PC are offline apps and require no communication with a server side. What applications do you use on your Windows 8.1 desktop that are NOT mostly offline apps?
    I'd have to think about that, but good point. But I'd add that it doesn't seem to be worth the effort of developing updates to the BB10 app at this point either?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 07:40 AM
    I'd have to think about that, but good point. But I'd add that it doesn't seem to be worth the effort of developing updates to the BB10 app at this point either?

Posted via CB10
    I think Whatsapp has been of good faith to BB10. They were one of the only big name apps that have fully supported BB10 from the start and tried to keep feature parity with their app from the other OSs.

I think them announcing the end of support in advance with 8 months before actually doing it is another sign of good will. They could have announced the same thing 2 or 3 months before ending the support. And while they still have official support for the app they are treating it just as they have been until now.
    Gallofa likes this.
    05-25-16 07:45 AM
    I think Whatsapp has been of good faith to BB10. They were one of the only big name apps that have fully supported BB10 from the start and tried to keep feature parity with their app from the other OSs.

I think them announcing the end of support in advance with 8 months before actually doing it is another sign of good will. They could have announced the same thing 2 or 3 months before ending the support. And while they still have official support for the app they are treating it just as they have been until now.
    I guess, though it still seems odd to me. I tend not to associate Facebook with any altruistic actions, lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 08:02 AM
    Wait, let me recharge my DeLorean.

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-25-16 08:13 AM
78 123 ...