Have you tried deleting them and re-downloading them via BlackBerry world? I know we were warned that you could only download some of the .99 movies until the first week in January, but when I looked at some of these that limit was no longer there.

The date limit is shown at the bottom of the BlackBerryWorld listing for the purchased movies.

Attachment 239598
    The ones that still show up in BlackBerry World, I was able to "re-download". It did seem to only download the license file which was nice, but some movies aren't showing up in BlackBerry world.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-18-14 10:32 AM
    I probably am not adding anything to the discussion other than my own experience recently moving about 30gigs of data (movies, music and photos) from my 32gig card to my new 64gig card. I used the computer as an intermediary so I will only talk about moving 30gigs from computer to the 64gig card using a "card adapter" - it took hours! Like about 6-8 hours. It is just a slow process. Now throw in encryption that you are doing and it is going to take a long time whether you use Link or any other process.

But I do understand your need to backup the data since from readings here, encrypted data may not be readable if you update the OS.
    For whatever reason 3 of the movies ended up on my device's main memory. I was able to use the File Manager to move those 6GB of files to my SD card in minutes. I don't understand why copying files to the SD card "locally" went so fast compared to do it via Link.

01-18-14 10:34 AM
    Link is rubbish. Did someone from UofW write that code?
    01-18-14 10:37 AM
    Link is rubbish. Did someone from UofW write that code?
    And I thought my posts were useless.
    miker476 likes this.
    01-18-14 11:02 AM
    For whatever reason 3 of the movies ended up on my device's main memory. I was able to use the File Manager to move those 6GB of files to my SD card in minutes. I don't understand why copying files to the SD card "locally" went so fast compared to do it via Link.

It is faster because the data bus is much wider. Consider copying files from 1 hard drive to another in the same computer. Extremely quick huh, now try copying those same files over the internet to a different location. You are limited to the bandwidth. Same premise. Device internally has more data bandwidth, the USB connection is limited bandwidth. Even the WiFI is limited.
    01-18-14 11:05 AM
    It is faster because the data bus is much wider. Consider copying files from 1 hard drive to another in the same computer. Extremely quick huh, now try copying those same files over the internet to a different location. You are limited to the bandwidth. Same premise. Device internally has more data bandwidth, the USB connection is limited bandwidth. Even the WiFI is limited.
    I completely understand the difference with local file copies versus network based copies. My post regarding the speed of a local file copy was to address another posters comment about the overall speed capabilities of the SD card.

With Link we are talking a sync speed of 1Mb (that's megabit not megabyte) per second. That is ridiculous for a throughput no matter how you slice it. It's not an SD card speed issue and I seen to get better performance doing things outside of Link. However the point of this thread is what could be done to help speed up Link, not how to bypass it. :-)

Last edited by HotFix; 01-18-14 at 11:47 AM.
    01-18-14 11:23 AM
    Oh FFS...

Any tricks to speed up Link syncing?-img_20140118_122833.png

I don't understand how this happened on a fresh format. I guess all of the stop and start of Link syncs as I left my house and came home periodically somehow caused the "other data" to creep in.

I guess I have to give up in Link doing its job and do the initial data sync outside of Link. That is after formatting my SD card...again...to clear the 20+GB of Other Data since I can't see it through File Manager.

I have to say I an REALLY disappointed with Link and all of its shortcomings...

Last edited by HotFix; 01-18-14 at 11:49 AM.
    01-18-14 11:34 AM
    Well... Using the direct Wi-Fi method (the "Access using Wi-Fi" setting in the Storage settings) and doing a direct file copy improved the speeds from ~1Mbps to ~2.5Mbps. While this was a welcome speed increase, and indicates to me that Link is slowing the process down somehow, this was less than stellar. I did confirm with one movie that once I copied the file over, getting it into sync over Link was a snap since the file was already there.

Since I hadn't turned on encryption yet, I then used the USB Mass Storage setting to connect to my device's SD card over USB bypassing Link altogether. As of right now I am getting ~6.6MBps. Considering there are 8 bits in every byte, that's ~53Mbps which is a huge jump in speed and what I would expect with a USB 2.0 connection and a device hosted SD card. Why USB file syncs over Link aren't this fast or even close to it is beyond me (I didn't clock those but they seemed to take as long as my Wi-Fi based copies).

I guess this means the moral of the story is you can't count on Link to do any normal speed data syncs. Subsequently I should use the USB Mass Storage setting to copy the bulk of my files over every time I have to wipe my device, and once they are on the SD card I will then use Link to keep them somewhat in sync. That is until BB addresses the speed of Link and I can go back to using it exclusively...

The fact that I had to wipe my card and start over because of the "Other Data" in the picture above is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by HotFix; 01-18-14 at 06:39 PM.
    BB_Z30 likes this.
    01-18-14 05:58 PM
33 12