I love the multi-window feature on the GSIII and on the Note 2 now, similar to split-screen on Windows desktop operating systems, and am hoping there is something similar on BB10. Although I may not be super useful on the phone, it would be perfect on the Playbook. Any one seen this mentioned anywhere, hinted, anything?

If you don't know what I mean -
    Omar Diamond and jkomo001 like this.
    12-02-12 08:52 AM
    No. It's not part of RIM's design paradigm at this point. It may come in the future, but it won't be part of BB10 out of the gate.
    12-02-12 09:07 AM
    Having the playbook and seeing how great its multitasking is BB10 will have the better strong hold for multitasking on a handheld experience. The thing with the GS3 and or a note they put some much into it but is anyone gonna use it in a dimension like that. I can see if it were a tablet where it is big enough to control things like but not for a phone setting. The multitasking on BB 10 and the playbook is the best in my opinion than samsung .
    12-02-12 09:58 AM
    I hope they have this feature. Even though it might not seem like a practical feature. I'd still like to have the option on the phone.
    12-02-12 02:15 PM
    No signs yet TAT have messed with dual screen capability way back so I would like to think it will be added on.Its great feature that would come in handy for certain situations.It would be a great feature on a tablet I do like stacking and side by side featureon desktop.I wish the PB could do it sometimes I like to do twin searches or read and watch something at same time.

But I aint seen any hints hope it makes its onto the phones.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 12-02-12 at 05:57 PM.
    12-02-12 02:42 PM
    No. It's not part of RIM's design paradigm at this point. It may come in the future, but it won't be part of BB10 out of the gate.
    You would be right if you are privy to all the features of BB10 so essentially you know what RIM is going to show on Jan 30th, and this feature or something similar is not going to be there (and you know what all of RIMs design paradigms are!!). But if you don't then you should refrain from making absolute statements.

G
    12-02-12 03:17 PM
    It's not part of the design which developers have been shown, and since it would be pretty critical to make sure developers were aware of it and knew how to work with it, it's pretty certain that it will not be part of BB10 out of the gate.
    mikeo007 and Creaulx like this.
    12-02-12 04:20 PM
    You would be right if you are privy to all the features of BB10 so essentially you know what RIM is going to show on Jan 30th, and this feature or something similar is not going to be there (and you know what all of RIMs design paradigms are!!). But if you don't then you should refrain from making absolute statements.

G
    Read RIMs design documents explaining peek and flow. Theyve talked about their 'new' design paradigm all over the place, its not a secret.

Or as mentioned above, note the fact that none of the developer documentation mentions this feature, which would need to be specially coded for.

It's common sense.
    12-02-12 04:23 PM
    BB10/PlayBook OS can clearly do this, and I'm surprised they haven't implemented anything to make use of the "true multi-tasking". Hopefully we'll see it at some point.
    Kelly Hinch likes this.
    12-02-12 07:22 PM
    It's not a make or break feature, but I think it could be useful and efficient. I'd like to answer emails or write a document while watching a movie, stuff like that. And it would be amazing over hdmi!
    12-02-12 07:26 PM
    It's not a make or break feature, but I think it could be useful and efficient. I'd like to answer emails or write a document while watching a movie, stuff like that. And it would be amazing over hdmi!
    I was surprised when one time during DLNA streaming a movie from my Galaxy S3 to the TV, I hit the home button and the movie kept playing. I was able to launch a browser and other apps while watching the movie. It is a little known feature.
    12-02-12 07:34 PM
    Umm... well, we can already do this on the PlayBook anyway, so why wouldn't you expect it to work at least as well on BB10? I'm talking about the last part... keeping a movie playing via HDMI (or, presumably, DLNA which we expect to have) while doing other things like answering emails. This is basically certain to be available.

Two windows simultaneously? Well, seriously, can anyone justify the idea that one should be able to try to watch a movie on half the phone's 768x1280 screen while attempting to compose an email in the other half? Yikes... I think they have higher priorities than that particular use case right now! :-)
    12-03-12 07:37 AM
    ...can anyone justify the idea that one should be able to try to watch a movie on half the phone's 768x1280 screen while attempting to compose an email in the other half? Yikes... I think they have higher priorities than that particular use case right now! :-)
    MAYBE with a physical keyboard. It would be a tough type with an on-screen keyboard.
    V22 likes this.
    12-03-12 08:00 AM
    I wonder, with the new gesture system, if switching between apps will be similar to the PlayBook where you can swipe left or right from the bezel to go to the next open app. It doesn't work that way on the Dev Alpha. If it did, that could be used somewhat like having multiple windows open (for copying information between apps).

I'm guessing that since it doesn't work on the Dev Alpha, this will be a Playbook feature that gets left behind.
    12-03-12 08:23 AM
    Umm... well, we can already do this on the PlayBook anyway, so why wouldn't you expect it to work at least as well on BB10? I'm talking about the last part... keeping a movie playing via HDMI (or, presumably, DLNA which we expect to have) while doing other things like answering emails. This is basically certain to be available.
    No need to be so defensive, where did I say that i don't expect this to be available on BB10? In fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Two windows simultaneously? Well, seriously, can anyone justify the idea that one should be able to try to watch a movie on half the phone's 768x1280 screen while attempting to compose an email in the other half? Yikes... I think they have higher priorities than that particular use case right now! :-)
    While multiwindow is clearly more useful on bigger devices, I still find regular use of multiwindow on the phone.

Here I'm browsing Reddit, and I see there is a George Carlin video. It's standup comedy, so I can play it in a small screen and still enjoy it. At the same time, I can continue browsing Reddit, or read comments other people have made about the video.

Here I have switched over to Chrome, still watching the video. I need to do a quick calculation so I pull up AirCalc. Without this app, I would have to switch back and forth between browser and calc, and rely on my short term memory.

Last edited by notafanboy; 12-03-12 at 10:15 AM. Reason: fixed missing quote tag
    12-03-12 08:49 AM
    notafanboy, I wasn't being defensive, and I was responding to both your post and the one before, which you quoted. Note my mention of HDMI as well as DLNA. If you reread with that in mind, you may see that the parts you thought were "defensive" were simply addressing Marauder2's post. Anyway, can we please avoid labelling each other? This forum is rife with that sort of thing and it serves nobody except the trolls.

That aside, those are interesting screenshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the S3 has a relatively large screen compared to the first BB10 phone, doesn't it? Area-wise, it might be twice as large? (Wildly guessing... I haven't touched one or checked the specs.) Still, I suppose you're right that it would be "nice" in some cases, and rather useful in others (the calculator example is a good one!).

Anyway, I'm pretty confident this isn't something that would take a complete revamp of the OS for them to provide. I just know we won't see it at launch, and that they have many higher priorities to get to before they'd be implementing this in a general way.
    12-03-12 09:25 AM
    notafanboy, I wasn't being defensive, and I was responding to both your post and the one before, which you quoted. Note my mention of HDMI as well as DLNA. If you reread with that in mind, you may see that the parts you thought were "defensive" were simply addressing Marauder2's post. Anyway, can we please avoid labelling each other? This forum is rife with that sort of thing and it serves nobody except the trolls.
    Understood. I wrongly assumed you were replying only to my post.

That aside, those are interesting screenshots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the S3 has a relatively large screen compared to the first BB10 phone, doesn't it? Area-wise, it might be twice as large? (Wildly guessing... I haven't touched one or checked the specs.) Still, I suppose you're right that it would be "nice" in some cases, and rather useful in others (the calculator example is a good one!).
    The BB10 actually has a bigger screen resolution.

BB10 768 x 1280
    GS3 720 x 1280
    12-03-12 10:14 AM

Oh wow I completely forgot that you can do that over hdmi. I think because I usually leave my Playbook near the TV and use my Bold to control it, but with DLNA that wouldn't be the case. Thanks for the reminder!

Nevertheless, the images notafanboy has posted are pretty cool and it would be nice for BB10 to support such features eventually. Get a good solid operating system with all the basics completed, then work on extras like that.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-03-12 10:32 AM
    No need to be so defensive, where did I say that i don't expect this to be available on BB10? In fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't.

While multiwindow is clearly more useful on bigger devices, I still find regular use of multiwindow on the phone.

Here I'm browsing Reddit, and I see there is a George Carlin video. It's standup comedy, so I can play it in a small screen and still enjoy it. At the same time, I can continue browsing Reddit, or read comments other people have made about the video.

http://i.imgur.com/s7bGT.png

Here I have switched over to Chrome, still watching the video. I need to do a quick calculation so I pull up AirCalc. Without this app, I would have to switch back and forth between browser and calc, and rely on my short term memory.

http://i.imgur.com/TuxRq.png
    I personally would love to see this on BB10 as I am an iphone user I am very jealous of this feature as I would use it in a similar way to you.
    12-03-12 11:20 AM

BB10 768 x 1280
    GS3 720 x 1280
    In this case, and maybe it's just my old eyes, I'd be far more concerned about the physical size of the inset video player than its resolution. I meant the screen area, not the pixels.
    12-03-12 10:28 PM

BB10 768 x 1280
    GS3 720 x 1280
    This feature is only available on the Note II, not the Galaxy SIII. The Note II has a 5.5" screen whereas the Galaxy SII has a 4.8" screen, and the first BB10 will be 4.3". In terms of area I think that's almost 60% more on the Note II than the BB10 device.
    12-03-12 11:03 PM
    This feature is only available on the Note II, not the Galaxy SIII. The Note II has a 5.5" screen whereas the Galaxy SII has a 4.8" screen, and the first BB10 will be 4.3". In terms of area I think that's almost 60% more on the Note II than the BB10 device.
    it's on the latest leaked official firmware (i.e., not rooted) for the SIII New leaked firmware for Galaxy S3 (I9300XXELK4) brings split-screen view mode and other new features - GSMArena Blog
    12-03-12 11:13 PM
    I was wondering when this feature would come to hand held devices, NICE! No more jumping from one app to the other doing copy,cut,paste, I would love to see BB devices do this.
    12-04-12 02:48 AM
    I was wondering when this feature would come to hand held devices, NICE! No more jumping from one app to the other doing copy,cut,paste, I would love to see BB devices do this.
    Me Too!!! Me too!!!!
    12-04-12 07:21 PM
    IMP for BB10 to become a "Mobile Computer" this feature will be necessary. Listening to Thor it seems as though his plans are to have a BB10 device connected to a monitor and keyboard and the "phone" will function as the computer. With the mini HDMI out that I highly suspect is coming standard on each device his plans are not that far into the future. For a matter of fact it could be done right now with the Playbook and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With all the space of a 17"+ monitor limiting the display to only allow one app to be visible at a time will not help RIM reach its goals nor will it help BB image as a Mobile Computer. With multitasking as it is now on BB10, all the apps run simultaneously and in real time. All the OS needs to do is to allow all apps to be visible at the same time and control the app�s size, orientation and location. This will also require programming changes on the developer�s part to get their app to size correctly while on a large screen, but this is very possible as it has been proven on the android device.

Unless phone screen size is increased I do feel that BB will prevent the feature from activating while the device is not connected to the HDMI out. That is why I agree with the tread about �InterActive Frames.� For example, having a calculator interactive frame and being able to view a zoomed in portion of a website that has been minimized to a active frame will allow the user to quickly calculate something with data from the web page without the user having to switch back and forth between the two apps.

BB has all that it needs to really blow the doors off the competition with BB10. Hopefully it has the imagination and will to see all the potential BB10 has and then implement it. Or hopefully they are reading all of the great ideas that are posted here in the Crackberry forums and are adding them as we think them up.
    Creaulx likes this.
    12-05-12 01:54 AM
28 12