Lol I've been using this name since the days of counter strike. It's intimidating!
    djdnz likes this.
    02-14-13 07:13 AM
    I've used a grand total of 60Mb since I got the phone. Though granted, I'm usually on Wifi except during the commute.
    02-14-13 07:33 AM
    My billing cycle started on the 3rd, 2 days before I got the Z10, and I've used 408Mb since then. In an average month with my 9900 I would use anywhere from just under 1GB to as high as 5.3GB (although to be honest that 5.3GB month was me intentionally trying to use my full 6GB on my phone as I had WiFi turned off and had it bridged to my PlayBook also with WiFi turned off lol). My average monthly usage I would safely say was around 1.3GB on my 9900. I fully expect my Z10 to far exceed that which is why I've never let go of my 6GB data plan with Rogers lol I'm on WiFi all day at the office and also when I'm at home. There are a few places I go to at night that also offer free WiFi, or at least I'm in good enough with the staff to get the WiFi password, so I don't see me going over my 6GB plan.

Its also a new phone with a huge screen and great browser so I expect to be using it a lot at first. Once the novelty of it settles down, I'm sure that my usage will balance out to a respectable number as I'm sure all of yours will as well.

As a comparison, my sister has an ancient 50Mb data plan that is no longer offered but has also never gone anywhere near the limit with her BlackBerry's (9300 and now 9810). She switched to an iPhone 4 to "try it" against my advice and within 14 hours she had already received a warning text from her provider that she was at 80% of her allotted data lol she called me flipping out! "Why is my phone using so much data? I've never had this happen before!" That's what happens when sisters don't listen to their little brother/IT person lmao! She couldn't get her sim card back into her 9300 fast enough and start looking for a 9810 on Kijiji lol
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    02-14-13 08:41 AM
    I think app leakage is the cause here and we desperately need a way to monitor this. when people start roaming the shtt is gonna hot the fan.
    02-14-13 01:09 PM
    i haven't noticed much of a data increase since i switched from my 9900, maybe its that i'm on wifi more now then i should but even so it only seems liek i use about 8 MB a day of data which is around what i used before
    EauRouge likes this.
    02-14-13 01:13 PM
    I used up about 200 MB in my first two days with Z10 and only realized this after checking my Rogers account app. I used to use about 250 MB a month on my I-Phone 3GS. Since then, I removed my Yahoo calendar and Contacts accounts (they were set to sync) and switched to using WI-FI at home (which I never had to on my IPhone).Now I am down to about 20MB/day. I don't think I was doing much more with my Z10 than I was on my I-Phone. Really wish there was a data usage monitoring app on BB10!
    02-14-13 11:53 PM
    I only used like 100mb in the first week when compared to 1gb per week on my iphone

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 12:11 AM
    Despite using my BlackBerry Z10 quite heavily over the last two weeks and switching to a non-BES data plan since it has no effect with BlackBerry OS 10 smartphones and the 1 GB data limit seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. I check my data usage daily only to discover my account shows 0 MB used although I have listened to streamed radio broadcasts within the web browser, for example. Maybe the first month of my new data plan is unlimited but when I made the change nobody mentioned a unlimited data for a month. I will keep an eye on it especially when the end of the billing cycle nears.
    02-15-13 12:22 AM
    that's awesome! I like that. I like reading everyone posting here. Informative but sadly I'm expecting to eat a lot. Cellf phone cand insurance companies are all scams and make crazy money. They saw how phones use CRAY data and decided to cash in on it more than before.
    We use lobster and lobster data here.
    Barljo likes this.
    02-15-13 02:47 AM
    A lot may be from downloading apps as well.
    I used to use about ~50MB a month on my old phone (just BBM and email), I've used about 700 MB in the last week however.
    sjb2003 likes this.
    02-15-13 02:51 AM
    I noticed two days in the first nine of my plan cycle and there are several spikes of 95.36 MB. I have used over 80% of my 1GB plan in 9 days!! I called TELUS and they cannot tell me what is happening. She did tell me sometimes their system lumps data usage together. How has no developer written an app to track usage???

PS...I have my WiFi turned on all the time and now I have to turn off data service over TELUS for the next 19 days or else I'm looking at some serious overage charges. Thankfully February is a short month!!
    02-15-13 02:37 PM
    I noticed two days in the first nine of my plan cycle and there are several spikes of 95.36 MB. I have used over 80% of my 1GB plan in 9 days!! I called TELUS and they cannot tell me what is happening. She did tell me sometimes their system lumps data usage together. How has no developer written an app to track usage???

PS...I have my WiFi turned on all the time and now I have to turn off data service over TELUS for the next 19 days or else I'm looking at some serious overage charges. Thankfully February is a short month!!
    Alternatively, you could change your data plan. If you call Telus you might be able to get a better talk, text, and data plan than that plan to which you currently subscribe. Realistically, a 3GB data plan is the absolutely minimum for the BlackBerry Z10. A flex-rate data plan would be ideal for a lot of BlackBerry Z10 users but such a plan is not available for smartphones.
    02-15-13 04:05 PM
    The past 6 months I averaged less than 200 mb of data on my bold. In less than 2 weeks with the z10 I am over 600 mb. I haven't changed up my usage that much, and 80% of my time I'm on wifi. There is definitely something eating data.
    02-18-13 08:10 PM
    I would imagine that like me many users didn't browse the web too much on the old phones as it was a bit painful. I have with my Z10 browsed MUCH more since having this so I think it's not so much the data compression as to the fact I actually use a lot more of the browser than I ever have.
    02-18-13 11:49 PM
    I was on a samsung, so nothgin to do with BIS. It's simply Apps run amock in the background and forebodes terrible roaming problems
    Maybe it's all that true multitasking some BB10 fans are bragging about.
    02-18-13 11:55 PM
    I haven't switched my phone service over from my 9810 so have been using wifi only on the Z10 while playing around with and getting accustomed to it. I spend a lot of time on this new baby so from reading this thread, I think my strategy works for now especially while I am installing/sideloading/uninstalling apps as well.
    02-19-13 12:14 AM
    I've used 160mb of data over the 4 days that I've had the Z10. This may be an issue, as I haven't been streaming any music and have only watched one youtube video. I also have 'wifi only' turned on for downloading anything from BB World. I also close all active frames with the consistency of OCD. I'm not sure what all is pulling the data, but at this rate, I'm going to fly past my 1GB limit. Eeek.
    02-19-13 12:44 AM
    I've went back and checked my data usage on the Telus website. There's one entry for 16mb at 2:25AM. At that point, I was at a Denny's recovering from a night out (don't judge, it happens haha) and I'm racking my brain trying to think of what would have used the data. The only thing that I recall using my phone for was to check Facebook very briefly. Other than that, I had my phone down on the table (to be social, of course). Can it be that the facebook app pulls such huge amounts of data? That would be nuts.
    02-19-13 12:49 AM
    (not z10 owner, yet) It doesn't take much! I can't even use my personal phone when I'm at work yet last month I used just over 6GB on 4G
    The biggest user was web browser totalling 1.2GB
    Youtube was 1.1 and downloads was 1.1.
    Other data hogs included Songza at 797MB (i use it about 30 minutes per day)
    And dropbox (325mb because of auto camera uploads)
    Facebook was 443MB!
    This is my use on my SIII. I don't pay attention to the data use on my Curve 3g because it's never above 100mb.
    02-19-13 01:10 AM
    I'm on a 500mb plan because I couldn't realistically afford anything else and most of the day my phone is turned off. Orange are w3736kers and don't have a data useage app and if you ring up to see how much you have left they can't tell you? And then you log in to the website to check and that's down too?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 01:24 AM
    I'm on a 500mb plan because I couldn't realistically afford anything else and most of the day my phone is turned off. Orange are w3736kers and don't have a data useage app and if you ring up to see how much you have left they can't tell you? And then you log in to the website to check and that's down too?
    Does Orange have a short text code for data usage like #sms# for SMS usage?
    02-19-13 01:44 PM
    I never go on wifi and I am at 3gigs so far this month with heavy usage. But I pay for 12 gigs for the wife and I to share. I am not worried about going over no matter how much I stream, tether or share my connection. In regards to the S3 comments; My friend streamed 3 hours of the Superbowl through his phone to a TV (internet wasn't hooked up in the new place yet) and that used approx 4 gigs of data.
    02-21-13 08:10 AM
    Got my first bill. Notice the spike in Jan/Feb I only had the z10 for the last 2 weeks of the billing cycle too.

Any See data usage spike with this Z10?-data-spike-z10.jpg
    03-02-13 11:54 AM
    Yeah I had to up the data on mine as well. No I know I'm using it more but I went from under 500mb a month with my 9900 to just over 3 gig with my Z10 in two weeks. That's a huge jump so I immediately updated mine to a 6gig package now. I should be ok with that now. But yeah...for sure you will be upgrading your data package on the Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 02:13 PM
    I found turning off auto download image for email accounts stop me going through so much data.

Posted via CB10
    jslawell likes this.
    03-02-13 03:02 PM
56 123