It's fine and simple to have a point A and a point B. But what if you need to visit B, C, D, E and then return to A? Is there an app that will plan the most efficient route through all the points?

I remember, many years ago, training on custom logistics software that did just that, and a user license cost $5,000/year. Now, it seems to me that a well written app should be able to do the same for no more than $10. TIA!

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    03-20-15 10:58 PM
    Probably not what you're looking for, but your request took me back to my school years :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trave...lesman_problem

Fun times

Posted via CB10
    bounce007 and ALToronto like this.
    03-20-15 11:14 PM
    Probably not what you're looking for, but your request took me back to my school years :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trave...lesman_problem

Fun times

Posted via CB10
    Aaaah TSP... I remember spending hours solving 12x12 TSPs only to mess up and start again.

Does Waze do this? I know my Garmin in my car can handle multiple destinations on a trip, but I have never come across an app that does this.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bounce007; 03-21-15 at 06:12 AM.
    ALToronto likes this.
    03-20-15 11:28 PM
    Yes, I guess it's TSP all over again! It's been over 20 years since I had to deal with anything similar. I will try Waze, my Garmin is a cheaper model and doesn't do multiple stops. Thanks for the suggestion.

03-21-15 07:52 AM
    Yes, I guess it's TSP all over again! It's been over 20 years since I had to deal with anything similar. I will try Waze, my Garmin is a cheaper model and doesn't do multiple stops. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please Let us know what you find! (or I could stop being lazy and try Waze as well lol)

EDIT: you know, I re-read your original post and come to think of it my Garmin doesn't let you enter a number of destinations THEN plans the fastest route. It just goes to the points in which they were entered, finding the fastest route between points (NOT AMONG). In other words it doesn't give you an optimal permutation - it just plans your trip in the order the points are entered.

I apologize for my misleading reply.
    Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 10:53 AM
    Download apponia GPS from snap works a treat all offline

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 10:58 AM
    OP. Give Osmand a try. You can set your final destination and waypoints in between. The route will take you through the waypoints. Osmand is an Android port that can be downloaded from App World. It uses off line maps. You also download free maps for up to 9 provinces or states. The catch is that maps stored on the device. The app works pretty good on my Z10. It also has lane assistance and speed warning.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 11:09 AM
    Dale and Yeeman,

Do these apps let you enter destinations (Say starting at A, then B C D E) then gives you an optimal route from your starting point (say the optimal route is not A B C D E but A E D B C)? Or do they just give you the fastest routes between points based on how you enter them?

This type of problem is notoriously hard (NP-Hard) and I imagine writing a mobile app to do this would be quite a feat.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-21-15 11:18 AM
    Dale and Yeeman,

Do these apps let you enter destinations (Say starting at A, then B C D E) then gives you an optimal route from your starting point (say the optimal route is not A B C D E but A E D B C)? Or do they just give you the fastest routes between points based on how you enter them?

This type of problem is notoriously hard (NP-Hard) and I imagine writing a mobile app to do this would be quite a feat.

Posted via CB10
    Osmand, or all other GPS navigation apps that I know of, determines optimal routing between two points based on the routing preferences that you set. Most apps allows preferences for shortest distance, shortest time, avoid tolls, avoid highways, or avoid HOV. Google maps and the soon-to-be-history BlackBerry Traffic provides alternative routes but still between two points only. By the way, BlackBerry Traffic and BlackBerry Maps are the only apps that provide an option to avoid traffic.

You seem to describe a requirement that determines the optimal sequencing of the waypoints. While I can see some specific applications like planning a delivery route, I can't see there is a wide spread demand as most people would determine the optimal sequencing by eye balling the waypoints on the map.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 12:15 PM
    Search for something that handles way points in bbw and amazon. I remember seeing one once but have not found it since. It allowed you enter several destinations and it would route you accordingly. I thought it was neat at the time and thought it could be useful if planning to visit specific destinations while travelling.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 12:47 PM
    WAZE does this. Just keep adding destinations ! It's the best navigation map in my opinion
    03-21-15 01:06 PM
    You seem to describe a requirement that determines the optimal sequencing of the waypoints. While I can see some specific applications like planning a delivery route, I can't see there is a wide spread demand as most people would determine the optimal sequencing by eye balling the waypoints on the map.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, most people just want to get to multiple places (in an order determined by some external factor (like, closes earlier, or traffic will be worse around there if I go there later), or simply habit).

The optimal sequencing of waypoints is probably something UPS/Fedex et al. Have invested significant amounts of R&D to develop. I'd be surprised if a $0.99 app can do it (not because of technology, but because of it's value).

However there are some very smart kids willing to show off for free nowadays,.. so... I expect to be wrong sooner or later if not already.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 01:14 PM
    Most GPS let's you put route from a to b and then you can add way points in between the two destinations pretty much what you wanted I think and apponia GPS plays awesome on the blackberry

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 02:14 PM
    Is any map app capable of planning a route through several locations?-img_20150321_191657.png
    Is any map app capable of planning a route through several locations?-img_20150321_191759.png
    Really good offline navigation

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 02:18 PM
    Microsoft Streets and Trips (and the significantly more expensive Map Point) both have this functionality. It's old and terrible otherwise but I haven't found anything else that has the same "Optimize Stops" function.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 03:02 PM
    Yeah Yeeman,

I doubt regular consumers want this type functionality and developing something that does this would be incredibly hard. So I doubt there are any apps available that do this. A to E and stops in between is easy though and I am sure the OP Will find something that does this.

Not sure if the OP was asking for the easier version (A to E and points in between) or for TSP-like functionality.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 03:03 PM
    I just did a little Googling and came across an Android app called Chaffeur that claims to have a TSP implementation. If it does plan an optimal route AMONG several points... then I guess I was wrong about it being expensive lol

Will do some more digging.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-21-15 03:12 PM
    Nokia Maps (HERE) can do it. Don't know if it works ok on bb10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 05:07 PM
    Also CoPilot has very capable trip planner and adding mid points

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 05:09 PM
    Mireo, found in BlackBerry World, handles this scenario with waypoints.

It's a very good app.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    03-21-15 05:19 PM
    Thanks everyone! I didn't expect people to spend time researching this. But I'm glad that functional TSP algorithms are now available for the average person. No, it's not the sort of feature I use every time I get in my car, but it's nice to have it available.

bounce007 likes this.
    03-21-15 10:34 PM
    The feature would be useful for a UPS or FedEx delivery driver.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 07:30 AM
    The feature would be useful for a UPS or FedEx delivery driver.

Posted via CB10
    Lol... pretty much guarantee you that they have very intelligent routing systems that include this type of logic. I wouldn't be surprised if they even pack their vans in reverse order of their calculated stops.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 08:13 AM