I can stick most modern Linux distros on just about any laptop or desktop I want and it will do a fantastic job installing compatible drivers Why can't BB 10 have a similarly flexible driver model?
    Because the SOC hardware used on phones uses proprietary drivers, and the chip manufacturers use that to generate income.

You either weren't involved in Linux or forgot about the time when graphics drivers (to mention just one) were proprietary and Linux often would not run on the latest hardware.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-07-16 08:20 AM
    Because the SOC hardware used on phones uses proprietary drivers, and the chip manufacturers use that to generate income.

You either weren't involved in Linux or forgot about the time when graphics drivers (to mention just one) were proprietary and Linux often would not run on the latest hardware.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Drivers are drivers, right? Not a big deal. Port them from Android
    10-07-16 08:22 AM
    What on earth makes you think highly security-focused customers won't want to pay?

Suppose the German spy agency wants 1000 Q10s ... and a smaller company finds it profitable to give them just that ... why WOULDN'T BlackBerry want to let them have BB10 on their Q10s?
    The phone that they want already exists:
    Boeing: Boeing Black Smartphone

BlackBerry and SecuSmart are partners in this. Note that they did not choose BB10 for the OS.
    10-07-16 08:38 AM
    Thurber is trying to use "positive spin" to put a good face on a bad situation. Remember - BB still has some BB10 devices remaining in inventory that it hopes to sell off before their value reaches zero...
    Just when it looked like the Classic was gone they reappeared on ShopBB. There seems to be and endless supply of the "limited edition" SE. This would explain the 10.3.4 mythology.
    10-07-16 08:48 AM
    I can stick most modern Linux distros on just about any laptop or desktop I want and it will do a fantastic job installing compatible drivers Why can't BB 10 have a similarly flexible driver model?
    Because Linux is an open-source OS and there are hundreds of thousands of developers all over the world writing drivers for it. Also, as a primarily desktop/server OS, there is room for a large library of drivers.

Mobile OSs don't work that way, and closed-source OSs especially don't work that way. Further, SoC makers like QualComm have experts who know the ins and outs of their chips and know best how to optimize their drivers for best performance - which in the real world can be the difference between 4 hours of battery and 9 hours of battery on the same phone, for example. And because 99.9% of their business is selling parts to OEMs who will build Android phones (based on Linux), they provide Linux drivers for free with their SoCs. If you're wanting to use some other OS, such as BB10 (based on QNX) or WinPhone, you have to pay QualComm to have their engineers write drivers for a given SoC if you hope to have an optimized, marketable experience. QualComm considers those drivers to be another profit center, since they're the only ones in the position to make highly-optimized drivers, and so they charge a lot of money for them - in the millions of dollars.

That's one of the main reasons why BB kept reusing the same chipset over and over - even years down the road; because the cost of paying for drivers for a different chipset was so expensive that they couldn't afford to update the SoC on a regular basis like Android phones could. It's also why Microsoft had very specific guidelines as to which components WinPhone manufacturers could use - because MS only paid for Windows drivers for very specific components.

BB always knew this would be an issue for them by going with QNX, but they assumed they'd be selling 40-50M phones per year and that the costs of drivers would be able to be easily absorbed across so many phones. When that didn't happen, their financial model was badly affected - one of the reasons BB10 lost them a lot of money.
    JeepBB, cgk, StephanieMaks and 1 others like this.
    10-07-16 11:19 AM
    It sounds as if in the mobile industry, we're stuck with either iOS or Android because of chipset manufacturers...

But I guess Qualcomm isn't the only one in the market?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    10-07-16 03:09 PM
    Hasn't BB10 been on a constant flirting around on the dating scene since the latter days of Thor, without anybody ever offering it a beverage?
    10-07-16 06:15 PM
    Those drivers for Linux are often made by the companies that make the components. Or by a community that cares about that component. Lately it's more often the former.

It's the same in phones. Linux works on all the Qualcomm SoC's because Qualcomm does (most of) that work. They do it because they can't sell their SoC's otherwise. More than 80% of phones run Linux.

The driver system in QNX is at least as "flexible" as Linux. The problem is there is a lot more economic incentive to make Linux drivers.
    10-07-16 07:01 PM
    Drivers are drivers, right? Not a big deal. Port them from Android
    Um, no. Ever run Linux with Windows drivers? Or vice versa?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-07-16 07:25 PM
    Because from virtually all indications, BlackBerry stopped BB10 development over 1.5-2 years ago, if not earlier?
    10-07-16 07:42 PM
    CrackBerry

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 08:09 PM
    Um, no. Ever run Linux with Windows drivers? Or vice versa?
    Well, many of us have used windows drivers in Linux with NDISwrapper.

I wonder if BB could have tried such an approach. If it were possible, I don't know what the impact would have been on performance, battery life and security. It probably wouldn't have been good.
    10-07-16 08:11 PM
    Sad. Miss those Palms back in the days.
    10-07-16 08:43 PM
    If a company does make a BlackBerry phone, I'm not to sure if it'll come to North America.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 08:51 PM
    Are we talking about BB10 the OS or BB10 the UI or both? Could the OS not be in a phone without the familiar UI?

10-08-16 12:02 AM
    Are we talking about BB10 the OS or BB10 the UI or both? Could the OS not be in a phone without the familiar UI?

That would cost more development time and money.
    10-08-16 12:19 AM
    @thurask

I'm wondering if a company producing IoT related things, things that particularly need a high level of security would want BB10 as an OS? Like I'm imagining they'd weigh the cost of trying to develop their own OS, vs. Pay BlackBerry to reconfigure OS 10 or something?
    10-08-16 01:24 AM
    Thurber is trying to use "positive spin" to put a good face on a bad situation. Remember - BB still has some BB10 devices remaining in inventory that it hopes to sell off before their value reaches zero...
    True, and you're probably right. But just to continue the conversation a little, what do you (or anyone) think the chances of some company using bb10 for something like medical equipment, or IoT "smart devices", or maybe car manufacturers for their infotainment units or something? I don't know how likely that is, but I could see a company inquiring about it anyways.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 01:27 AM
    In Indonesia:
    1. BBM
    2. Whatsapp
    3. FB Messenger

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 03:12 AM
    Come to China and find a company to cooperate to make bb10. Mobile. What Chinese need is wechat. Not whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    keliew likes this.
    10-08-16 05:43 AM
    @thurask

I'm wondering if a company producing IoT related things, things that particularly need a high level of security would want BB10 as an OS? Like I'm imagining they'd weigh the cost of trying to develop their own OS, vs. Pay BlackBerry to reconfigure OS 10 or something?
    Why not just license QNX for your IoT application? What other parts of BB10 would be useful?
    10-08-16 08:49 AM

Strictly speaking the OS is QNX, but what most people think of as an OS is the OS proper, the UI and all the layers in between.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    gebco likes this.
    10-08-16 09:37 AM
    True, and you're probably right. But just to continue the conversation a little, what do you (or anyone) think the chances of some company using bb10 for something like medical equipment, or IoT "smart devices", or maybe car manufacturers for their infotainment units or something? I don't know how likely that is, but I could see a company inquiring about it anyways.
    There's no need for BB10 for those applications (though many do license QNX for them) because most of BB10 is made for smartphones.

It would be like if you were going to manufacturer digital photo frames (a screen connected to an SD card slot and a tiny low-powered CPU that displays the photos on the card) and you were considering licensing Windows 10 for that - instead of some tiny Linux distro or even QNX. The Windows licence would cost more then your profit margin on the photo frame and you'd need much more CPU and RAM to run it - a waste for something as simple as a photo frame. You wouldn't need all of the thousands and thousands of Windows features, and just to be able to run it, you'd have to redesign your hardware to make it noncompetitive in the market. It would simply be the wrong choice of OS for what you were trying to do.
    10-08-16 09:48 AM
    Sony. I know it's a stretch, but perhaps it's desperate at distinguishing itself. BB10 might help in with Sony's consumer electronics in a car dashboard, for instance. Also, after all, years ago they partnered with Palm many years ago to produce PDAs with the latter's OS. I wonder if Sony could find a way to develop hardware that runs Android and BB10, either as separate devices, as Palm did with its Treo phones, or a dual-boot device. At the very least Sony could be a compatible partner with which BlackBerry can license the latter's PKB.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW  Z30 STA100-3 | 10.3.2.2813
    10-08-16 09:57 AM
    Do BlackBerry will plan NEW BlackBerry 10 device in near future.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 11:34 AM
67 123