EDIT: changed subject line and added on a BB10 device clarifications.

I have no fewer than 12 email address accounts set up on my BB10 device.

I only have 1 twitter account on my BB10 device because that's all I'm allowed to have.
    I only have one BBM account on my BB10 device because that's all I'm allowed to have.

Is the limitation to only 1 Twitter or Facebook or BBM account on a BB10 device not a serious problem for business professionals as well as those who run small businesses and have to manage separate communication streams?

What is BlackBerry doing or what can they do allow me to have all my Twitter and BBM accounts on a single device and showing up in the Hub?

Isn't the connection between a BlackBerry device and, for example, Twitter similar to when a Web browser connects to Twitter and sets a cookie for the login or somehow identifies the "session"? If so, couldn't a BlackBerry device appear to a Twitter server as multiple separate "sessions" and allow me to have as many accounts as I want?

Likewise, couldn't BBM be virtualized so that multiple BBIDs can reside on a single device?

Isn't this a huge shortcoming of just about every mobile OS and, if BlackBerry solves it first and best and possibly years ahead of the competition, wouldn't they get serious attention from business again? Wouldn't there be a keen interest from even those who love other OSes to switch to an OS that can do this?
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-05-14 at 02:01 PM.
    07-01-14 01:43 AM
    Natively, you can have two Facebook accounts on your device, with one performing in the Hub and application, while the other, preferably a less important one could stay in the browser. A third account for both can be added by downloading the Android version. Unfortunately, you can only have one BBM account on your device, because the Android version doesn't seem to function.

As for Twitter, you can add multiple accounts from the application. Drag down from the top, open the settings, and there will be a Manage Accounts option. Only the first added account will function in the Hub, and the rest have to be checked from the application.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296 /// 7AA0A56F
    07-01-14 07:00 AM
    thanks for those tips, but hub integration is vital... that's what I think BlackBerry needs to do here, and if they do, they'll put even more distance between BB10 and other OSes re: communications.

p.s. Skype, Viper, Whatsapp etc. accounts, too
    eldricho likes this.
    07-01-14 12:28 PM
    I agree with you on Facebook and Twitter. Though I personally only use 1 account for each but I recognise the need for multiple accounts.
    However, I don't this BlackBerry will change bbm for use with multiple accounts. It was designed from the start to be tied to the device with one account. I'm not sure what type of software engineering and back end support this would take to do and the pay off probably wouldn't be worth it for them right now.

Posted via CB10. Over my carrier's data connection due to "Limited WiFi"
    07-01-14 12:39 PM
    I agree with you on Facebook and Twitter. Though I personally only use 1 account for each but I recognise the need for multiple accounts.
    However, I don't this BlackBerry will change bbm for use with multiple accounts. It was designed from the start to be tied to the device with one account. I'm not sure what type of software engineering and back end support this would take to do and the pay off probably wouldn't be worth it for them right now.
    I know that BBM being tied to a device PIN is a reality: but it's a design flaw in a way: I am on my device, receiving email for my main personal email account, my personal "business" email account (the address I use with the government, banks, "elite" business relationships), then my total spam junk filter account, but also the email addresses for my company ("Info", "Sales", "Customer Service" etc.). I can easily have all those separate email addresses... but I can't have one BBM account for my company (or different "aspects" of my company as with emails) and a separate one for my personal communications with my Family etc that are all distinct from one another... even BlackBerry themselves have a dozen or more Twitter accounts, so what do BlackBerry staff do to deal with that?

BlackBerry should really pull out all the stops to break the tie between device PIN and BBM "account". I thought with the advent of the BlackBerry ID there would be a way to tie multiple BBM accounts to a single BB ID, without relying on separate device PINs for each one?

BBM could be Twitter and Instagram and WhatsApp and SMS all rolled up in one if they didn't restrict it to one "account" per device, or didn't restrict a single device to one BBID.

Even if BBM can't be all those things, my BB device should be.
    07-01-14 11:38 PM
    *snip*

Unfortunately, you can only have one BBM account on your device, because the Android version doesn't seem to function.

*snip*
    Just wanted to point out that the Android version has been reported working on a 10.3 build (opening the shop does crash it tho)

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=937318

Posted via CB10
    garrett1972 likes this.
    07-01-14 11:43 PM
    Just wanted to point out that the Android version has been reported working on a 10.3 build (opening the shop does crash it tho)

Two  BBM accounts on OS 10.3.0.442 STL-100 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Thanks for that too... but I don't think I could be satisfied with just two BBM accounts... if I can't have "unlimited" i'll just use one, which will limit my BBM use to only personal / family / friends.
    eldricho likes this.
    07-01-14 11:53 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=937318

Posted via CB10
    Going to have to try that on my Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.700

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 01:22 AM
    We can hope that support is coming for multiple BBM accounts; I like the idea.

As for Twitter, Blaq is a great client, and will allow multiple accounts. You will not have hub integration with the additional accounts, and I appreciate that this is what you want. Hopefully this, too will be supported eventually.
    07-02-14 01:26 AM
    Thanks for that too... but I don't think I could be satisfied with just two BBM accounts... if I can't have "unlimited" i'll just use one, which will limit my BBM use to only personal / family / friends.
    I'm not understanding why you would need unlimited BBM accounts? How many can you really need? One personal and one work is the most I can see. I use my one for both and don't see an issue with that.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    07-02-14 03:35 AM
    The PIM is definitely used for traffic routing between BB<->BBI<->BB

BBM is historically a GUI build on top of PIN messages.

As far as I remember BBM is now using your BBID as main identifier, but perhaps only for connecting and plain PIN messages are still used for BBM.

If that's the case BlackBerry could make a new BBM protocol version allowing for an extra header field to include the BlackBerry ID.

The current implementation of BlackBerry 10 needs a default BlackBerry ID which currently is used for BlackBerry World, BBM, BlackBerry Protect etc.
    This makes the device easy to configure, personal and probably fits 99% if all users.

As I understand you, there should be an option in BBM to have multiple accounts. This would indeed require some modification to the client and protocol and could break backward compatibility.

In case you feel it's important you should sign up at BlackBerry.icanmakeitbetter.com and post your suggestion. BlackBerry is monitoring all input and you can see the progress of your suggestion as well as comments from other users.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:49 AM
    Errmmm!!! that seems to be blackberry balance you are talking about. You should try that but it usually works for corporate blackberry enterprise users where theres the work part and the personal part of your life on your smartphone. Cheers!

I know that BBM being tied to a device PIN is a reality: but it's a design flaw in a way: I am on my device, receiving email for my main personal email account, my personal "business" email account (the address I use with the government, banks, "elite" business relationships), then my total spam junk filter account, but also the email addresses for my company ("Info", "Sales", "Customer Service" etc.). I can easily have all those separate email addresses... but I can't have one BBM account for my company (or different "aspects" of my company as with emails) and a separate one for my personal communications with my Family etc that are all distinct from one another... even BlackBerry themselves have a dozen or more Twitter accounts, so what do BlackBerry staff do to deal with that?

BlackBerry should really pull out all the stops to break the tie between device PIN and BBM "account". I thought with the advent of the BlackBerry ID there would be a way to tie multiple BBM accounts to a single BB ID, without relying on separate device PINs for each one?

BBM could be Twitter and Instagram and WhatsApp and SMS all rolled up in one if they didn't restrict it to one "account" per device, or didn't restrict a single device to one BBID.

07-02-14 04:06 AM
    I don't see any problem here. There's absolutely no need for multiple BBM accounts. If you need BBM for business, you can now just open a BBM Channel.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 04:47 AM

Your BBM for work should be a BBM Channel. Much more suited for work

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 05:11 AM
    let's not focus only on BBM: the other services mentioned only allow a single account on a device and that is limiting. I haven't done too much with channels but if you can control who accesses them and more than one device can be the "host" that may solve some problems, but I don't give my personal BBM PIN to customers because I don't work 24 hours a day... And doesn't balance require BES?
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 07-02-14 at 10:23 PM.
    07-02-14 10:12 PM
    Twitter allows for multiple sign-ins, check the twitter app settings. As for Facebook, you would need to download the Android Facebook Pages app to manage a work related Facebook page as unfortunately there is no native Facebook Pages app.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 04:04 AM
    Twitter allows for multiple sign-ins, check the twitter app settings. As for Facebook, you would need to download the Android Facebook Pages app to manage a work related Facebook page as unfortunately there is no native Facebook Pages app.

Posted via CB10
    He wants headless with hub integration push notifications for multiple accounts. Pretty sure you won't find that with iPhones or Androids, either. The one thing I am sort of with you on is it would be nice if there were a native Pages Manager app, but I have a page and I do get notifications with my FB app.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    eldrover likes this.
    07-03-14 07:45 AM
    It seems that Twitter and Facebook are treated as though they're "device specific" rather than being related to the login. It's the same problem with Web browsers generally: when you are logged in to Facebook, all tabs / windows reflect the single FaceBook login.

What I'm getting at is that BlackBerry devices, if they're going to be used by serious business people, should be able to have multiple facebook accounts and twitter accounts logged in simultaneously, and the user should be able to read all the incoming messages for multiple accounts, and select for which one they want to compose a post or send a message, not be limited to one single account. Emails are currently the only types of communications service that can have multiple 'accounts' on a single device and I'm absolutely questioning why that is so, and suggesting that it would be compelling advantage for BB10 devices to allow you to have lots of Twitter or FaceBook accounts in the Hub etc.

...and I am not about to associate my employers BBM Channels with my personal BBM account on my BYOD device, so suggestions to "just" use BBM Channels is, well, understandable, but just about as useful as any other suggestion to not want what I want.
    09-05-14 02:00 PM
    What you need for social media is something like hootsuite

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 02:11 PM
    EDIT: changed subject line and added on a BB10 device clarifications.

I have no fewer than 12 email address accounts set up on my BB10 device.

I only have 1 twitter account on my BB10 device because that's all I'm allowed to have.
    I only have one BBM account on my BB10 device because that's all I'm allowed to have.

Is the limitation to only 1 Twitter or Facebook or BBM account on a BB10 device not a serious problem for business professionals as well as those who run small businesses and have to manage separate communication streams?

What is BlackBerry doing or what can they do allow me to have all my Twitter and BBM accounts on a single device and showing up in the Hub?

Isn't the connection between a BlackBerry device and, for example, Twitter similar to when a Web browser connects to Twitter and sets a cookie for the login or somehow identifies the "session"? If so, couldn't a BlackBerry device appear to a Twitter server as multiple separate "sessions" and allow me to have as many accounts as I want?

Likewise, couldn't BBM be virtualized so that multiple BBIDs can reside on a single device?

Isn't this a huge shortcoming of just about every mobile OS and, if BlackBerry solves it first and best and possibly years ahead of the competition, wouldn't they get serious attention from business again? Wouldn't there be a keen interest from even those who love other OSes to switch to an OS that can do this?
    You're not actually allowed to have more than one Facebook account, check the Terms of Conditions if you don't believe me. That's why we can't have more than Facebook account on a BlackBerry (Native wise). Although you can set up an Alias of sorts for a company and have that apart of your main account and you switch between them.

Twitter does allow you have multiple accounts, just only one primary account.

Why do you need more than one BBM account? You could use BlackBerry Balance to separate personal and work accounts. Or set up a BBM Channel for a business.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    09-05-14 07:03 PM
    You can get hub notifications for a second fb account by using blackbullet and an ifttt recipie that pushes your fb notification feed via pushbullet.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-14 06:21 AM
    Why do you need more than one BBM account? You could use BlackBerry Balance to separate personal and work accounts. Or set up a BBM Channel for a business.
    Why does anyone need more than one email account? Exactly same reasons. Compartmentalization of communication, different user identities, sometimes a single account is managed by more than one person, etc., etc., etc. Workarounds aren't as good as integrated features. Suggesting them certainly shows how clever one can be, but we all know that for most people, they won't be bothered.
    09-08-14 10:35 AM