I was out with a friend last night, at a pub.
    I was showing him my z10 and he pulled out his iPhone with siri.
    He said: "watch this" and proceeded to say my name, say send email, and dictate a few sentences and then send the email - all using voice commands.
    I said that the z10 could do that too, so I pressed the voice recognition button, and after 3 tries gave up. I could even get it to find the contact...

A bit embarrassing.
    But more than that, I wondered why siri was so much better? Surely blackberry has access to the same voice recognition engines that Apple and android do... so why is it so bad on my phone compared to iphone?
    Is there any hope for a quality solution under BB10?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:32 PM
    I don't know why yours didn't work. I send BBMs with voice command all the time.
    11-05-13 07:43 PM
    The environment you are in seems to play a major part (at least for me). I use voice recognition daily. In a quiet environment when you are alone it works almost flawless. In a bar or a car or anywhere with background noise, it is almost useless. At least from what I experience daily. Give it a try in a quiet area and you will be pleased with the results.
    I am wondering if it works better on a Z30 with its noise cancellation microphone.
    11-05-13 07:55 PM
    I completely agree! The voice recognition is terrible! Even in a quiet area it doesn't work!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:47 PM
    Just tried this now by sending a BBM
    It worked fine. What I will say is that Siri is perhaps better. I'm hoping that overtime BlackBerry will improve this feature. I take your point (OP) I would not be confident demonstrating this feature to a iPhone user.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 04:40 PM
    I normally do not send emails to people sitting at the same table as me.

Voice recognition and me never get on on any device , they never pick up normal words or speech with me
    11-06-13 04:54 PM
    Figured I'd make this post using voice control now that I'm starving I can't think of what to say.

Well it seems to have got I've started confused.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-06-13 05:03 PM
    Agreed, the current VR sucks. When I'm driving or in any slightly noisy environment it just sits waiting for the volume level to drop to indicate that I've stopped speaking. I always have to press the button to manually get it to process my commands.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 05:34 PM
    I was out with a friend last night, at a pub.
    I was showing him my z10 and he pulled out his iPhone with siri.
    He said: "watch this" and proceeded to say my name, say send email, and dictate a few sentences and then send the email - all using voice commands.
    I said that the z10 could do that too, so I pressed the voice recognition button, and after 3 tries gave up. I could even get it to find the contact...

A bit embarrassing.
    But more than that, I wondered why siri was so much better? Surely blackberry has access to the same voice recognition engines that Apple and android do... so why is it so bad on my phone compared to iphone?
    Is there any hope for a quality solution under BB10?

Posted via CB10
    What exactly was it doing instead? I've done head to head VR tests with an iPhone user, and I beat her every time in both speed and accuracy. It was in a kitchen, not a noisy pub, though.

On my first set of blue tooth headset (super cheap), I could never get it to recognize with high accuracy. When I bought a better pair of BT headset, the problem went away and was as good as directly speaking to it. I believe the second set had cancellation and the first ones did not.
    11-06-13 07:42 PM
    Surely blackberry has access to the same voice recognition engines that Apple and android do...
    Why would you think that? Apple bought Siri for a reason. They own it.

And Google owns their implementation as well.
    11-06-13 07:47 PM
    I think the noisy pub had a lot to do with it
    At home it was a bit better, but still not great.
    I was more surprised because I would have thought by now the VR engines would be on par across all platforms, since presumably the parsing occurs in the cloud and not on the device...

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:48 PM
    I think the noisy pub had a lot to do with it
    At home it was a bit better, but still not great.
    I was more surprised because I would have thought by now the VR engines would be on par across all platforms, since presumably the parsing occurs in the cloud and not on the device...

Posted via CB10
    One thing: with Google Now at least, there's the illusion that it's working faster because it's showing every word as you speak it, while really they're both fast. I've never had a use for it myself, but I can see where it would be useful when driving, for instance.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-06-13 08:01 PM
    One thing: with Google Now at least, there's the illusion that it's working faster because it's showing every word as you speak it, while really they're both fast. I've never had a use for it myself, but I can see where it would be useful when driving, for instance.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    It's not an illusion. Google's voice recognition system (the Jelly Bean one) does it "on the fly". You can dictate a 500 word essay and it'll write it as you speak it. Blackberry will wait for you to speak the entire 500 word essay and then upload it to convert to text and then write the text out for you. Actually Blackberry will stop and send it part way through cuz it can't handle that much speaking in a row,

Google's voice recognition is extremely good (but also suffers in loud environments). Google can even transcribe what you're saying OFFLINE. If you're offline though the hit rate is quite a bit worse. When you're online and in a quiet environment, Google's voice recognition is extremely impressive.

I've found Blackberry to be barely passable. Where I'd give Google an A, and Siri an A-/B+, I'd place Blackberry's around a C if even that.
    byrdbrained likes this.
    11-06-13 08:59 PM
    Siri and Google Now are some of the best voice recognition in the industry. Siri uses nuance iirc, which is better than Google, easily. Google has their own tech. The only other thing that is approaching that level is Microsoft TellMe. Nuance bought Vlingo but that engine is not as great as the others. S Voice uses Vlingo iirc. It's accurate but quite sensitive to noise ime.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    11-06-13 10:15 PM
    I have to admit siri is used a lot on my iPhone 5, and would be one of the things I'd say BlackBerry really needs to work on. With siri I can set reminders so easily just by saying what and when(time and or date), with bb10s voice control setting a "remember" then having to go in and edit/add a time to it is unintuitive compared to the competition. I do make the best if it though as bb10 beats ios 7 for me in every way. Do hope they update it more then they have.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    11-15-13 12:02 AM
    I have to admit siri is used a lot on my iPhone 5, and would be one of the things I'd say BlackBerry really needs to work on. With siri I can set reminders so easily just by saying what and when(time and or date), with bb10s voice control setting a "remember" then having to go in and edit/add a time to it is unintuitive compared to the competition. I do make the best if it though as bb10 beats ios 7 for me in every way. Do hope they update it more then they have.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Tobacconist|Tattoos - C00016D82
    Not sure what you mean that you have to edit the/add a time to the reminder in BB10. "Set a reminder for 8pm to watch tv". Works for me. If I'm booking a physio appointment, I can say something like "Set reminder for physio for thursday at 9am". What is your example of needing to be edited? It's worked like this for me since 10.1, or maybe even 10.0.
    11-15-13 01:19 PM
    Good voice recognition/language interpretation will always be led by the big guys because they have the resources to invest in this non-revenue-generating technology. More importantly, they can spread this cost over hundreds of millions of devices including tablets and soon smart watches, etc. You will never get comparable functionality from a niche player, so, I guess my answer is "No. There is no hope."
    11-15-13 01:25 PM
    Not sure what you mean that you have to edit the/add a time to the reminder in BB10. "Set a reminder for 8pm to watch tv". Works for me. If I'm booking a physio appointment, I can say something like "Set reminder for physio for thursday at 9am". What is your example of needing to be edited? It's worked like this for me since 10.1, or maybe even 10.0.
    Well let's say I'm at the store and want to be reminded to get something before I leave, I can say "remind me to get kill before I leave here" and if I leave it will remind me. Another example would be when I say "remind me to pick up tommy in 15 minutes" it will set it and remind me.

Bb10s voice controls not the worse but it's no siri or Google now yet.

11-15-13 05:52 PM
    Well let's say I'm at the store and want to be reminded to get something before I leave, I can say "remind me to get kill before I leave here" and if I leave it will remind me. Another example would be when I say "remind me to pick up tommy in 15 minutes" it will set it and remind me.

Bb10s voice controls not the worse but it's no siri or Google now yet.

Your first example (kill?) doesn't make sense and I can see why it would be hard for VR to understand verb instead of noun in that context. But if Siri knows when you are leaving the grocery store doors to remind you (geofencing?), that is a good feature. Given their famously bad map directions, I'm surprised it can tell when leaving the doors of the grocery store (useless if it warns when you left parking lot).

The second example, BB10 will prompt you when you want to be reminded (despite saying, "in 15 minutes"). Works better with specific date/time. I'll send a note to ideamailbox@blackberry.com about the lack of minutes support.

But you are right. "Bb10s voice controls not the worse but it's no siri or Google now yet. ".
    11-15-13 06:26 PM
    Your first example (kill?) doesn't make sense and I can see why it would be hard for VR to understand verb instead of noun in that context. But if Siri knows when you are leaving the grocery store doors to remind you (geofencing?), that is a good feature. Given their famously bad map directions, I'm surprised it can tell when leaving the doors of the grocery store (useless if it warns when you left parking lot).

The second example, BB10 will prompt you when you want to be reminded (despite saying, "in 15 minutes"). Works better with specific date/time. I'll send a note to ideamailbox@blackberry.com about the lack of minutes support.

But you are right. "Bb10s voice controls not the worse but it's no siri or Google now yet. ".
    The first example.was ment to say "remind me to get milk when I leave here" and using go's location siri would remind you using yah geofencing.

My second explame can be done with a specific time, which never crossed my mind so that will make it slightly easier for me. Thank you for your help.

11-15-13 08:19 PM
    I completely agree! The voice recognition is terrible! Even in a quiet area it doesn't work!

Posted via CB10
    Who the **** are you kidding? It works quit well for me in quite areas.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 09:04 PM