Is the touch-sensitive bezel aware of the POSITION on the BEZEL that is touched?

If the screen coordinates on the Z10 are 0,0 to 1280, 768, are the 'coordinates' of bezel touches known?

Can the OS tell if the point being touched is, say, 1320, 380? Just below and in the middle of the bezel? Or, the region of the bezel that is where the "BlackBerry" logo is?

If so... couldn't BB10 just be altered so a press and hold on the BlackBerry logo acted exactly a swipe up does?

The BlackBerry logo becomes the "home" button that Android and iOS users NEED so they can understand how to work a BB10 device?

So, it wouldn't even need to be a change in the hardware... it would just be an OS feature, and one that BB10 users who are familiar with gestures could disable?

I guess without apps, though, it's moot... but it could solve ONE of the problems plaguing BB10 adoption.
    09-01-13 10:37 AM
    Why would we have to change the BB gestures to accommodate iOS and Android users???
    Every OS is different. People get used to them.
    09-01-13 10:47 AM
    I dont think the bezel is actually touch sensitive. The touchscreen is detecting the swipe from the outer most pixel inwards to detect the gesture. The bezel is just there to make doing the gesture easier.
    09-01-13 11:07 AM
    I dont think the bezel is actually touch sensitive. The touchscreen is detecting the swipe from the outer most pixel inwards to detect the gesture. The bezel is just there to make doing the gesture easier.
    I disagree good sir,
    From my experience on both the PlayBook and my Z10, I have come to the conclusion that the bezel is actually touch sensitive. In the PlayBook, horizontal swipe without touching the screen at all closes current app folder. On both Z10 and the Playbook, a diagonal swipe to the left acts as the back button for Android apps (most people didn't know this hence the reason many android apps gets bad reviews in the app world and may be the reason BB wants to permanently leave the bar there).

Interesting note: the bezels on the sides are touch sensitive too! You can try after a restart while the Hub is loading and you'll notice you can only go back to the homescreen if you swipe up OR swipe to the left FROM the bezel.
    Also,swiping upwards while in landscape mode will go to the homescreen, but some apps especially games are programmed to disable this function for gameplay reason and need the phone to be in portrait mode to swipe up and exit.
    09-01-13 11:22 AM
    I agree to your point, the bezel is not touch sensitive. I think the OP wants BlackBerry to add touch sensitivity to BlackBerry logo like Windows Surface Pro (using Windows logo on the bottom bezel as a virtual home button). Personally, I don't want BlackBerry to follow that because it will become no different than those Android phones using three virtual buttons to navigate "home" and "back". BB10 gesture-based navigation is unique and cool. Anybody can easily get used to it. My 5-year-old daughter can figure that out within a minute. It is interesting that after switching to Z10 from iPhone, when I touch my wife's iPhone 5, I can't get myself used to its home button based navigation and always trying to swipe up.... bahaha

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 11:29 AM
    Personally, I don't want BlackBerry to follow that because it will become no different than those Android phones using three virtual buttons to navigate "home" and "back".
    I thought it was accepted as fact, common knowledge, that consumer difficulty grasping the gestures was causing problems for consumers to adopt the BB10 platform: they try the device and can't get accustomed to the gestures... so... what I'm suggesting is exactly that BB10 devices should be MORE like Android and iOS devices... THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! I was just suggesting a technique whereby EXISTING devices could, through a minor change to BB10 OS, 'acquire' a "home button" without BlackBerry having to put out a device that has a hard button.

The point is: In order for Android and iOS users to more readily switch to BB10, BB10 devices having a hard "home" button is VITAL.

We already have devices that don't have a hard "home" button and lo and behold, THEY'RE NOT SELLING VERY WELL. So BlackBerry, instead of being prideful and chanting "Gestures are better than a hard "home" button" all the way to the unemployment office, why not DO SOMETHING and make sure everyone knows that now, yes, in addition to the swipe up gesture, you can press the BlackBerry button just like you do on your Galaxy S4 or iPhone to get back to the "home" screen.
    09-03-13 10:28 PM
    Ahh no

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 02:28 AM
    The gestures are pretty simple, doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to grasp them. I think it's just habit that confuses. I find it really annoying and infuriating using an android device now I keep trying to swipe up to minimise an app. It's similar for android users moving to BlackBerry although I'd say it's probably less annoying moving from gestures than to them. About this bezel business this does not seem to account for q5 q10 so I can't see the point in it. The only gesture that can potentially confuse is the swipe down to show back button in android ported apps but the only confusion there is the fact it's not documented with the other gestures

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 03:47 AM