Google is working on a top secret project to gathers millions of Americans' health data across 21 states including lab tests and diagnoses - but patients and doctors have not been told about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...alth-data.html

Posted via CB10
    11-11-19 02:07 PM
    this has nothing to do with mobile devices...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-19 02:12 PM
    That's as tabloid/clickbait a headline as they come. Google owns several health care-related companies, and this is the kind of work those companies do.

This kind of thing happens all the time with health care and drug companies. The article doesn't bother to mention that the data is anonymous - they don't care who the data belongs to, they're training an AI so that information isn't even especially helpful.

But articles like this handpick facts out of context and create their own narrative in order to create controversy and generate clicks.

That's like me writing a headline that states "Truth4u hasn't denied allegations that he beats his wife." I could make you sound evil even though you have done nothing wrong, and the controversy drives traffic which earns me money.
    11-11-19 02:20 PM
    Google is working on a top secret project to gathers millions of Americans' health data across 21 states including lab tests and diagnoses - but patients and doctors have not been told about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...alth-data.html

Posted via CB10
    The reasons just keep piling up....
    11-11-19 02:25 PM
    That's as tabloid/clickbait a headline as they come. Google owns several health care-related companies, and this is the kind of work those companies do.

This kind of thing happens all the time with health care and drug companies. The article doesn't bother to mention that the data is anonymous - they don't care who the data belongs to, they're training an AI so that information isn't even especially helpful.

But articles like this handpick facts out of context and create their own narrative in order to create controversy and generate clicks.

That's like me writing a headline that states "Truth4u hasn't denied allegations that he beats his wife." I could make you sound evil even though you have done nothing wrong, and the controversy drives traffic which earns me money.
    Hmm....handpicking facts out of context and creating their own narrative....like completely ignoring or disputing the fact that BB10 is not EOL and/or attacking those who suggest there is a business case for its revival?

You're right, we never see headlines like that here.
    11-11-19 02:26 PM
    Hmm....handpicking facts out of context and creating their own narrative....like completely ignoring or disputing the fact that BB10 is not EOL and/or attacking those who suggest there is a business case for its revival?

You're right, we never see headlines like that here.
    BB10 will be EOL on Dec 31st. They just won't be immediately shutting down backend services.

The fact that there is no business case for BB10 has already been demonstrated, and BlackBerry's current outlook would obviously agree.
    11-11-19 02:45 PM
    BB10 will be EOL on Dec 31st. They just won't be immediately shutting down backend services.

The fact that there is no business case for BB10 has already been demonstrated, and BlackBerry's current outlook would obviously agree.
    BlackBerry, sadly for me, hasn’t been able to make a case for a modified version of the most accepted, supported and developed mobile OS to date. If BlackBerry can’t succeed with BBAndroid then BB10 or BBOS doesn’t stand a chance going forward given the lack of ANY resources.
    11-11-19 03:10 PM
    this has nothing to do with mobile devices...
    Well, then please explain to me how Apple can track my steps and that if I had their health app activated on an IPhone ?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-19 03:18 PM
    Well, then please explain to me how Apple can track my steps and that if I had their health app activated on an IPhone ?

Posted via CB10
    Because you've explicitly given Apple the permission to do so.
    11-11-19 03:33 PM

And here we have yet ANOTHER example of such headlines!

For those who may not know: BB10 back-end services are explicitly NOT EOL and will be supported for some time to come, Crackberry Old Guard mis-statements notwithstanding.
    11-11-19 03:41 PM
    And here we have yet ANOTHER example of such headlines!

For those who may not know: BB10 back-end services are explicitly NOT EOL and will be supported for some time to come, Crackberry Old Guard mis-statements notwithstanding.
    That’s what conite said. He specifically does state BB won’t be shutting down the back-end services immediately. We don’t know anything beyond that.
    eshropshire likes this.
    11-11-19 03:44 PM
    That’s what conite said. He specifically does state BB won’t be shutting down the back-end services immediately. We don’t know anything beyond that.
    What conite said was "They just won't immediately be shutting down back-end services."

What BBL says is that those back-end services are specifically excluded from EOL and that they'll be supporting them indefinitely.

There is a vast difference.
    11-11-19 03:47 PM
    For those who may not know: BB10 back-end services are explicitly NOT EOL and will be supported for some time to come.
    Well, even in your dictionary, BB10 will be dead soon at some point. So, what is the point of continous arguing?!
    john_v likes this.
    11-11-19 03:57 PM
    What BBL says is that those back-end services are specifically excluded from EOL and that they'll be supporting them indefinitely.

Please show me link to that specific quote. With "specifically excluded" and "indefinitely" in it. It may have been said, but my memory is a bit clouded.
    eshropshire likes this.
    11-11-19 03:57 PM
    Please show me link to that specific quote. With "specifically excluded" and "indefinitely" in it. It may have been said, but my memory is a bit clouded.
    "Specifically excluded":

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle

Go to that link, expand Operating Systems, scroll down to the asterisk.

"Indefinitely":

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2019...egacy-services

This is a characterization of the quote "beyond the end of 2019," based on the fact that BBL does not cite an end date and it makes no sense to say they are going to support something for one second beyond the end of a particular year. It applies logic to the fact that BBL chose to issue a statement on July 31 of this year specifically indicating support beyond 2019, which combined with the first link stating these services are not EOL effectively means indefinite support.
    11-11-19 04:00 PM
    What conite said was "They just won't immediately be shutting down back-end services."

Below are their quotes. Doesn’t say indefinitely as that implies forever.

“The EOL designation only applies to the operating system software and applications contained within. It is not intended to indicate that the back-end infrastructure that provides services to these devices are in an EOL state.”

“Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019.”

I’m actually posting the actual words from the same pages you linked. Beyond the end of 2019 is not indefinitely and you know that.
    eshropshire and Mecca EL like this.
    11-11-19 04:01 PM
    Well, even in your dictionary, BB10 will be dead soon at some point. So, what is the point of continous arguing?!
    Um...what? I hold BB10 will be around for quite some time. The point of arguing is to make sure the actual truth gets out there, and not the misleading falsehoods spouted by the Old Guard which are designed to switch people to Blackberry Android when they don't want to go.
    11-11-19 04:01 PM
    Below are their quotes. Doesn’t say indefinitely as that implies forever.

“Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019.”
    "Indefinitely" means "without an end date." That is exactly what this quote implies.
    11-11-19 04:02 PM
    Speaking of data, remember John Chen had said in December 2018 did say that BlackBerry would never sell our data. He also stated that the BB 10 was the most secure system, in particular the BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Classic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/busines...y-offering/amp
    11-11-19 04:44 PM
    OMG not another one of these useless threads.
    11-11-19 05:12 PM
    "Indefinitely" means "without an end date." That is exactly what this quote implies.
    I'll grant you the implication. I would stay in the conservative side and give it one more year. Optimistically, two. Great if it goes longer. I won't complain if it does.
    11-11-19 05:19 PM
    Um...what? I hold BB10 will be around for quite some time. The point of arguing is to make sure the actual truth gets out there, and not the misleading falsehoods spouted by the Old Guard which are designed to switch people to Blackberry Android when they don't want to go.
    I don’t think anyone cares whatever OS people use. Exactly why do you think anyone cares about something like that? None of us here benefit from what you or anyone else chooses. Personally I agree with you about misinformation. At some point, it’s all going away so again why do we care?
    eshropshire and TgeekB like this.
    11-11-19 05:58 PM
    Why do you have to support this company and an OS as if it were a person who cared about you' What's the point?

"we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019."

If a client of mine said that and then ended my contract a month or a year later then I would understand that it was anytime after the 31st December 2019.
    Would I say "Hey, but you said 'indefinitely?"
    No I wouldn't, because I would look and sound stupid and seem to have an attitude problem.

Another flat-earth thread.
    11-12-19 06:29 AM
    OMG not another one of these useless threads.
    It's to the point where it physically hurts to read now.
    11-12-19 07:31 AM
    Implies not same as states.

verb (used with object), im·plied, im·ply·ing.
    to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated:

Dictionary.Com
    11-12-19 08:45 AM
49 12