Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ourists-phones

I think I'll keep my Passport SE even longer than I planned.
    I visit China each year and while Xinjiang was not my destination earlier... who knows.
    07-04-19 02:28 PM
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ourists-phones

I think I'll keep my Passport SE even longer than I planned.
    I visit China each year and while Xinjiang was not my destination earlier... who knows.
    They will probably confiscate it on you since they won't be able to put the app on it.
    07-04-19 02:43 PM
    yeah they will just "hold" your phone for you until you leave then
    07-04-19 03:09 PM
    Ah... Probably you are right. We will see.

Some years ago I was in the Kim's Kingdom and my local colleague who advised me in Beijing before the flight suggested not to bring Blackberry device in. "People in airport might find it suspicious", he said.
    And those people in the airport (stern faces, quick fingers) were really serious... My Android phone and laptop were thoroughly inspected for at least half an hour.
    07-04-19 04:35 PM
    Why does this surprise or trouble anyone?
    07-04-19 05:41 PM
    I assume the Android app would still install on a BB10 device, unless the runtime is locked down (which I think is only possible with EMM software or parental controls).
    07-04-19 05:54 PM
    It's minimum SDK 5 (Eclair) and with no Google services, naturally; shouldn't be anything stopping it from rampaging around the Android runtime.

Alternatively, don't go to China.
    TgeekB and gravesend60 like this.
    07-05-19 11:13 AM
    Or just bring a SIM card and buy a cheap phone there? Maybe even go with a dumb phone in...
    Anyway, my friend from Serbia travels a lot of times per year in China ( all over the country) and has no problem with his Passport. They take it regularly for about 10-15 minutes and give it back to him...

Posted on BlackBerry Classic via CB10
    07-05-19 11:35 AM
    Or just bring a SIM card and buy a cheap phone there? Maybe even go with a dumb phone in...
    This. There's no way in hell I'd bring in my primary smartphone (regardless of brand or anything else) to have them hack and install malware on - or confiscate entirely. I'd make due with a feature phone with just a handful of numbers in the contacts - and maybe a receive-only GPS.
    07-05-19 11:56 AM
    Anyway, my friend from Serbia travels a lot of times per year in China ( all over the country) and has no problem with his Passport. They take it regularly for about 10-15 minutes and give it back to him...

What makes your friend sure he doesn't have problems with his Passport when handing it over?
    10-15 minutes is a long time. If he's giving them the password, then they are probably extracting all the data from his phone... that would qualify as a big problem in my opinion.

That spyware app probably works on BB10 also thanks to the android runtime.
    07-05-19 06:56 PM
    I mean no problems in terms of having a passport going in the country and he is a bit smarter than that, tough he has nothing to hide. The stuff they pull out is completely useless to them...
    07-05-19 07:02 PM
    I mean no problems in terms of having a passport going in the country and he is a bit smarter than that, tough he has nothing to hide. The stuff they pull out is completely useless to them...
    Is it browser history, emails, contacts, pictures, documents? If his Passport isn't wiped clean before handing it over, then they are getting all of it (assuming he is complying with their password request)

No one has nothing to hide. Any information they pull is of use to them and a complete threat to your friend if they decide what they find on that phone one day isn't to their liking.

Better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 07-05-19 at 07:58 PM.
    07-05-19 07:21 PM
    Ah... Probably you are right. We will see.

Some years ago I was in the Kim's Kingdom and my local colleague who advised me in Beijing before the flight suggested not to bring Blackberry device in. "People in airport might find it suspicious", he said.
    And those people in the airport (stern faces, quick fingers) were really serious... My Android phone and laptop were thoroughly inspected for at least half an hour.
    Hey dmlis,

They probably would confiscate the phone in the case of being unable to install or otherwise not being confident of the spyware, but if you HAVE to bring in your main phone better it be a BB10 device than full Android. There are enough things you can disable or otherwise detect with the runtime that you can't with full Android...and if all else fails simply lock down your contacts/back up your data using Ultimate Backup, wipe your device, let them do whatever they want, and wipe again and restore your data once you have your phone back.

But as for being suspicious, Blackberry devices are known to have encryption that is difficult to break and for which Chinese government malware apps won't install easily, which is likely why your colleague mentioned that. People assume you have something to hide and want to secure it if you're using a Blackberry.
    07-05-19 11:07 PM
    He has a borked android runtime (AndroidShell.sys deleted by me) so no apk can run on his Passport, he has a couple of Chinese associates contacts on it locally , which they can check, clears his browsing history and sets up his main email with the rest of his contacts when he's in. All they was ever able to do is browse it and look for stuff manually...
    So far, it works for him! They always let him go his way!

chetmanley likes this.
    07-06-19 02:28 AM
    Hey dmlis,

They probably would confiscate the phone in the case of being unable to install or otherwise not being confident of the spyware, but if you HAVE to bring in your main phone better it be a BB10 device than full Android. There are enough things you can disable or otherwise detect with the runtime that you can't with full Android...and if all else fails simply lock down your contacts/back up your data using Ultimate Backup, wipe your device, let them do whatever they want, and wipe again and restore your data once you have your phone back.

But as for being suspicious, Blackberry devices are known to have encryption that is difficult to break and for which Chinese government malware apps won't install easily, which is likely why your colleague mentioned that. People assume you have something to hide and want to secure it if you're using a Blackberry.
    What can you disable on BB10 that you cannot disable on the current versions of Android?

And specifically what encryption would authorities have to bypass to install a spyware app??

The only credible reason why the app wouldn’t work is perhaps because the runtime is too old. If it happens to be written against a newer API rev.
    07-06-19 09:53 AM
    What can you disable on BB10 that you cannot disable on the current versions of Android?

And specifically what encryption would authorities have to bypass to install a spyware app??

The only credible reason why the app wouldn’t work is perhaps because the runtime is too old. If it happens to be written against a newer API rev.
    You can easily disable the Android runtime, preventing all Android apps from successfully running. To do the same thing on Android devices would essentially disable the device, and that assumes that whatever method you employ would successfully work against Android malware.

My point about encryption was to reply to dmlis's point about his colleague saying that Chinese authorities (or at least "People in airport") would find having a Blackberry suspicious. You can draw your own conclusions about why that would be the case. I've stated mine.
    07-06-19 10:34 PM
    Hey dmlis,

Thanks for your good advise. My IT knowledge is limited but I do feel a bit secure with BB10 then with Android.
    My Chinese colleagues warned me about searches in Pyongyang. As for mainland China in general - one has no issues with Blackberry unless, as we see from the article, travelling to restricted areas.
    07-07-19 05:32 AM