I recently cracked the top third of my z10 screen which made in unresponsive to gestures in that area. I can still use the phone however.

With any decent OS be it computer, phone or otherwise a number of ways to do a task is necessary to ensure system flexibility. As the settings screens cannot rotate I'm unable to turn on bluetooth, mobile hotspot (which is essential to me) and any other system feature activated in the top of the screen.

I did hope that I could find a workaround by downloading a short cut app or by activating these features using voice control. However no app could avoid the system settings screen and voice control cannot enable these features (why??). One other thought crossed my mind could Blend not allow a user to activate such features? Now that would be a killer feature.

This inability to rotate settings screens is a real shortcoming of BB OS 10. As a recent convert who will stick with the platform maybe Blackberry would consider these requests.

Does anybody have any idea how I can work around the limited display to access settings at the top of the screen?
    05-05-15 11:09 AM
    There should still be a 'settings' that you can access all of that from. It's not the same as your quick settings, but it should still all be there.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-05-15 11:13 AM
    While you make a good point, do you not plan to replace your broken screen? Your post makes it sound like you wouldn't.

Regardless, I agree it might be helpful though if screen was damaged and while waiting for repair.

Perhaps most helpful would be enabling Quick Settings (swipe down from top of screen) while using landscape mode. That really should work.
    05-05-15 11:18 AM
    There should still be a 'settings' that you can access all of that from. It's not the same as your quick settings, but it should still all be there.
    There are, but typically once you get into that Settings page the option is at top of screen. That's why OP wanted Settings to work landscape, for use within the Settings pages, not the Settings main menu.
    05-05-15 11:21 AM
    This might also be helped if BB10 had a setting/option to "bottom-justify" pages.

For example, in iOS 8 you can double-tap (tap, not click) the home button to make the content drop to bottom of screen. Useful on new larger iPhone models, especially iPhone 6 Plus.
    05-05-15 11:24 AM
    Authentic Z10 screens with upper frames are very cheap and easy to replace. Id advise repairing it.
    (heres a link)
    LCD Display Panel Touch Screen Digitizer with Frame Part for Blackberry Z10 | eBay
    05-05-15 11:32 AM
    If you can goto settings --> assessibility--> magnify mode.. on

You can actually zoom the content using that
    05-05-15 11:33 AM
    Accessibility �magnify mode does allow me to turn on mobile hot spot, great suggestion. I have my replacement screen, just waiting for my pentalobe screwdriver to get cracking.

It's odd that voice commands cannot enable obvious settings such as mobile hotspot.

I also am unable to install any apps in BlackBerry World due to the portrait mode.
    Landscape mode should ve available for system settings, it is rather obvious.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:21 PM
    Just don't forget not to run any autoloader before replacing the broken screen as it will make your phone useless (initial gestures) .

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    05-05-15 03:58 PM
    Could try rearranging quick setting putting a bunch of stuff at the top bumping BT and HS down

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    05-05-15 05:51 PM
    Why not use the settings icon available on the applications screen, then use quick settings to rearrange what you need to a position below your cracked portion of the screen.

Posted from my awsome blackberry passport
    05-05-15 08:45 PM
    The quick settings feature does not work because of the cracks at the top third of the screen. The magnify mode feature allows me to access almost everything despite it being slightly awkward. Really good idea.

Posted via CB10
    anand_ma likes this.
    05-06-15 04:34 AM
    Not to burst this threads bubble but it is quite absurd to put any thought into how this OS should accommodate a cracked screen. It's lucky if you can still use it at all. Shell out the dough and get it fixed. Problem solved.

Having said that, I do hope that they make the entire OS more 'landscape' friendly in future updates. I never thought I would use it much with the 1:1 ratio of the Passport but it feels great to use this thing in landscape while reading and using the keyboard to scroll. Only problem is when you swipe back to the homescreen, you get all twisted around. Not to mention 'swiping up from the bottom' becomes a completely different gesture as it is right now not really optimized for landscape use.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-07-15 02:41 PM
    Press the search icon at the bottom of the screen. You will be able to get everything you need.
    05-07-15 03:48 PM