So if you don't mind, what does an app do for you? I mean besides the regular office app, a radio, maybe a few other 1s? I can't seem to find an app i regularely use besides a few which couldn't be handled by the mighty bb10 web browser. The rest are just....a collection. So yeah, we could take the os out of the apps. Is the OS being the true ecosystem? Proof that we could take the OS out of the so called ''app ecosystem"? How many apps symbian had at the time of launch of the first version of Ios? Thousands? Did it had the edge over Ios in 2007? It didn't seem to matter much the app advantage Symbian had over Ios. I recall of an symbian ''app'' that could control even the tv through the phone's infrared port much like a regular tv remote control. This ''app'' thing was invented long before Steve Jo.bs Can't believe we are still biting into this Steve Jo.bs ''app'' thing.
    The browser is an app, no?

Apps make life easier. BlackBerry had em long before Apple did, with good reason.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-01-15 08:00 PM
    The browser is an app, no?

Apps make life easier. BlackBerry had em long before Apple did, with good reason.
    Palm had apps and an app store before BlackBerry. Unless you're specifically referring to smartphones and counting out PDA's, in which case you're right.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 12:52 AM
    Palm had apps and an app store before BlackBerry. Unless you're specifically referring to smartphones and counting out PDA's, in which case you're right.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, in an old Palm user. Still crack out the PDA collection periodically.

I didn't mean to infer that BlackBerry was the first; simply that there was a time BlackBerry had a better mobile ecosystem than BlackBerry.
    12-02-15 01:25 AM
    Yes, in an old Palm user. Still crack out the PDA collection periodically.

I didn't mean to infer that BlackBerry was the first; simply that there was a time BlackBerry had a better mobile ecosystem than BlackBerry.
    Palm like WindowsCE, Epoc/Symbian all had apps before Apple. It was Apple that consolidated and started form scratch a curated store front for their OS. Before you had to goto forums crawl the internet, ahem before Google lol (speaking of which Yahoo's board is discussing the viability and sale of their core internet business) .

I remember Palm, some company (oh yes 3COM), then Palm, then Handspring - in spite of Sony's scarred insult and their exit (palm screwed them), and then Palm again - I used III, then m505 and I think the 207 palm communicator with flip grey scale screen non keyboard

Yeah some of us are THAT old.

вιaсĸвεггч� Z30 via CB10 (Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639) ‎Bell Mobility on BES12
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-02-15 01:33 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is better in no opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 01:37 AM
    So if you don't mind, what does an app do for you? I mean besides the regular office app, a radio, maybe a few other 1s? I can't seem to find an app i regularely use besides a few which couldn't be handled by the mighty bb10 web browser. The rest are just....a collection. So yeah, we could take the os out of the apps. Is the OS being the true ecosystem? Proof that we could take the OS out of the so called ''app ecosystem"? How many apps symbian had at the time of launch of the first version of Ios? Thousands? Did it had the edge over Ios in 2007? It didn't seem to matter much the app advantage Symbian had over Ios. I recall of an symbian ''app'' that could control even the tv through the phone's infrared port much like a regular tv remote control. This ''app'' thing was invented long before Steve Jo.bs Can't believe we are still biting into this Steve Jo.bs ''app'' thing.
    The problem is the "few other 1s" as you called them. Those apps are not the same for me, as they are for you or any other person. Different people have different needs. You see all the time here on CB people who need/want a certain app to work on their BB10 device and are willing to put up with workarounds.

The thing about having an ecosystem is not about installing 10000 apps on your phone, it's about having the option of using any app when the need arises. The biggest advantage of apps over browser (for me) is the ability to give notifications.

Also: hello Romanian compatriot.
    12-02-15 01:38 AM
    Palm like WindowsCE, Epoc/Symbian all had apps before Apple. It was Apple that consolidated and started form scratch a curated store front for their OS. Before you had to goto forums crawl the internet, ahem before Google lol (speaking of which Yahoo's board is discussing the viability and sale of their core internet business) .

I remember Palm, some company (oh yes 3COM), then Palm, then Handspring - in spite of Sony's scarred insult and their exit (palm screwed them), and then Palm again - I used III, then m505 and I think the 207 palm communicator with flip grey scale screen non keyboard

Yeah some of us are THAT old.

Not sure what curated store front reffers to...
    12-02-15 11:49 AM
    The problem is the "few other 1s" as you called them. Those apps are not the same for me, as they are for you or any other person. Different people have different needs. You see all the time here on CB people who need/want a certain app to work on their BB10 device and are willing to put up with workarounds.

The thing about having an ecosystem is not about installing 10000 apps on your phone, it's about having the option of using any app when the need arises. The biggest advantage of apps over browser (for me) is the ability to give notifications.

Hello to you too, hope it doesn't bother you to keep it in English.
    So Android has the right apps for every need while BB10 doesn't and this is what is stopping bb10 from taking over the no.2 place, despite it being the superior mobile OS?
    12-02-15 11:54 AM
    So Android has the right apps for every need while BB10 doesn't and this is what is stopping bb10 from taking over the no.2 place, despite it being the superior mobile OS?
    On a sidenote, "superior"is one of those descriptors that is essentially a red herring IMHO. All platform loyalists believe that their platform of choice is superior.

In the end, the most flexible option wins.

Not to speak for the member you quoted, but I believe that the only chance BB10 had of being competitive was stunted by the lack of a strong ecosystem. Having one doesn't guarantee success (a company has to master supply, hardware, timing, marketing etc), but it sure helps.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-02-15 12:04 PM
    In my opinion the main reason was being late to the party. Everything stems from there. Also, as a mobile developer myself, I can tell you that we (as developers) don't really want or need more than 3 platforms to be viable. Three is enough to push competition while still having a varied offer and reduce feature and app fragmentation across the market. The same thing happened to the desktop market with Windows, MacOSX and various linux distros.

Marketing wouldn't have solved BB10 issue as demonstrated by Windows phone where Microsoft pumped a lot of marketing money and they still have around 3% market share.

Also even if BB10 is a 10/10 in terms of phone OS and Android/iOS are 8/10, people would still buy them when iOS/Android are 10/10 in terms of ecosystem while BB10 is a 5/10.
    12-02-15 12:21 PM

But notifications could be implemented in the browser. Chrome on computers is doing exactly that (websites can give notifications using Chrome) using the W3C notification standard so there's no reason why it couldn't be implemented in a mobile browser.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 01:11 AM
    But notifications could be implemented in the browser. Chrome on computers is doing exactly that (websites can give notifications using Chrome) using the W3C notification standard so there's no reason why it couldn't be implemented in a mobile browser.

Posted via CB10
    I know that. But if the browser is such a good solution why is BBM still a standalone (not even html5) app?
    12-03-15 01:25 AM
    Not sure what curated store front reffers to...
    meaning self managed by one entity ... under Symbian's last stance as open source ...or under Nokia OVI never did so good very poor listing.
    12-03-15 09:59 PM
    I know that. But if the browser is such a good solution why is BBM still a standalone (not even html5) app?
    Because even though notifications could be implemented in the browser, other features of BBM would get lost, like automatically updating status to show what you're listening to in a connected app.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 01:16 AM
    Because even though notifications could be implemented in the browser, other features of BBM would get lost, like automatically updating status to show what you're listening to in a connected app.
    Agreed. This also applies to several apps, which is why the browser can't be a replacement for them.
    12-04-15 01:39 AM
    Agreed. This also applies to several apps, which is why the browser can't be a replacement for them.
    I never understood this "the browser is better". Just because BB10 users are sometimes "forced" to use the browser instead of an app, it doesn't make it better.

For anyone even suggesting the browser is better, I would just suggest them to use the browser instead of their email app and then tell me how the browser is better.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-15 04:56 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is better in no opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    What's this?
    12-10-15 12:33 PM
    It would be ridiculous for a browser to replace other apps?
    12-10-15 12:35 PM
    Not all browsers are great even the stock BlackBerry. I have to literally use 3 browsers depending on the website. Majority of the time it would be the BlackBerry stock browser but also browsie browser for adblock and Zeus browser for flash enabled websites.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2813
    12-10-15 03:21 PM
    Not all browsers are great even the stock BlackBerry. I have to literally use 3 browsers depending on the website. Majority of the time it would be the BlackBerry stock browser but also browsie browser for adblock and Zeus browser for flash enabled websites.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2813
    For some reason I believed the stock Berry browser handles flash flawlessly.
    12-12-15 08:55 AM
    What do you believe would be better?
    Considering that BlackBerry isn't releasing any BB10 phones in 2016+ or putting new features on BB10 OS. Then it isn't a really good question.
    12-12-15 10:36 AM
    For some reason I believed the stock Berry browser handles flash flawlessly.
    The BB10 browser doesn't support flash.
    12-12-15 10:38 AM
    The BB10 browser doesn't support flash.
    That is a sort of perfection
    12-12-15 02:42 PM
    It was Apple that consolidated and started form scratch a curated store front for their OS.

If you remember that time correctly, hipsters flocked to iPhone before they even had an App Store...just saying.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    12-12-15 08:17 PM
    Considering that BlackBerry isn't releasing any BB10 phones in 2016+ or putting new features on BB10 OS. Then it isn't a really good question.
    You should stop talking about topics that are not confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 08:19 PM
94 1234