I've been an avid BlackBerry fan and have never considered any other phone. I don't use a lot of apps, I like a clean 'mature' UI and the led notification and hub meet my productivity needs.

I've never been that happy with the contacts or calendar (I miss the growing numbers) in BB10.

Given that there won't be another BB10 I am forced to look elsewhere. A slider does not work for me, nor does a keyboard. As such im.looking at android. It has so many options for calendars and contacts apps, plus led apps then I can't imagine I won't find one that does the job. Add in the hub via play store and it might be the way forward.

My point, opening up the BlackBerry keyboard, hub and launcher to any android device is surely removing the one USP BlackBerry had left?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 08:37 AM
    They do seem to be taking their sweet time in opening up the BlackBerry Experience, though.

Besides, BB's version of Android is pretty close to stock (i.e. clean and mature), much better than the Computer Science 101 project that is Samsung's flavor of Android.

Still, even if the BB apps can be yanked out of the Priv/put on Google Play, there are still the OS-level modifications (what BB does with the curved edge, all that security jazz, so on and so forth) plus the physical aspects (keyboard especially) that haven't been/can't be replicated on other devices.
    02-16-16 08:49 AM
    I've been an avid BlackBerry fan and have never considered any other phone. I don't use a lot of apps, I like a clean 'mature' UI and the led notification and hub meet my productivity needs.

I've never been that happy with the contacts or calendar (I miss the growing numbers) in BB10.

Given that there won't be another BB10 I am forced to look elsewhere. A slider does not work for me, nor does a keyboard. As such im.looking at android. It has so many options for calendars and contacts apps, plus led apps then I can't imagine I won't find one that does the job. Add in the hub via play store and it might be the way forward.

My point, opening up the BlackBerry keyboard, hub and launcher to any android device is surely removing the one USP BlackBerry had left?

Posted via CB10
    I guess it depends on how long those apps remain accessible to being "hacked" and installed via any Android devices. And if having a locked boot rom is a PLUS or a NEGATIVE for you. Also I would expect that there will be more BlackBerry security features built into their Marshmallow update.

But yeah right now you are really just buying the keyboard, which I think is why that's all they have planned.
    02-16-16 08:50 AM
    They do seem to be taking their sweet time in opening up the BlackBerry Experience, though..
    A quick look on the store suggests you can get all the main apps already? I assume this means you don't even have to root?

Still, even if the BB apps can be yanked out of the Priv/put on Google Play, there are still the OS-level modifications (what BB does with the curved edge, all that security jazz, so on and so forth) plus the physical aspects (keyboard especially) that haven't been/can't be replicated on other devices.
    Yes,good point. If you want a physical keyboard then BB is your only real option. Ironically I never wanted to move away from a keyboard but at the time BlackBerry pushed out the z10 and z30! Now if they put out a touchscreen similar to the z30 with their android os I might be interested.....

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 09:04 AM
    A quick look on the store suggests you can get all the main apps already? I assume this means you don't even have to root?
    The apps available in the Play Store require you to have a Priv in order to download and install them.

Some enterprising individuals here and on XDA have taken those apps and patched the APKs to enable usage on non-Priv phones, but your mileage may vary. If I remember correctly, the patched Hub is pretty crap without root access, for example.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-16-16 09:11 AM
    Good luck finding a better calendar than bb10. I still have growing numbers..why don't you?

Using my Passport!
    02-16-16 12:11 PM
    If the Slider form factor isn't your forte, I'd strongly recommend the Nexus 6P.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 12:20 PM
    Locking the boot rom is a big negative. I have an android tablet and having cyanogenmod on it is a must. I can control what each and every app can and can't access. Especially being android, I don't want to give up that functionality.

But I'm still on my z30 and even though I have an android tablet, I doubt I'll ever get an android phone. It's too personal as my tablet is just using around my home. I don't want Google knowing everything about me.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    02-16-16 01:17 PM
    can we move this thread in to the Android PRIV section please, this is the BlackBerry OS10 area!

Posted via -Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.++
    02-16-16 01:41 PM
    can we move this thread in to the Android PRIV section please, this is the BlackBerry OS10 area!

Posted via -Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.++
    It's here because no one wants to go to that room.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 04:56 PM
    Locking the boot rom is a big negative.
    Without the assurance that the software and hardware have any integrity, there is no security in the device. Take a Windows PC and get it infected with a rootkit, it's the same thing: you cannot adequately guarantee what's been changed.

BlackBerry is a security focused company and always has been.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 05:12 AM
    Without the assurance that the software and hardware have any integrity, there is no security in the device. Take a Windows PC and get it infected with a rootkit, it's the same thing: you cannot adequately guarantee what's been changed.

BlackBerry is a security focused company and always has been.

Posted via CB10
    And that's why BB doesn't sell phones. because people want some level control. Why do flashlight apps need access to the wifi connection and file manage, with cyanogenmod that's NOT happening.
    But in the end i personally don't like android at all and i'm not getting an android phone and keeping personal information on it. The tablet is fine for fooling around on but that it.
    02-19-16 08:10 PM
    That's also why I wouldn't want a rooted device of any kind: any malicious application or malware would then have the potential to run as root. Again, with that ability for any app there is no security at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 09:32 PM