This is the answer I got from BlackBerryHelp on Twitter :
    Android runtime time update ?-img_20160712_091513.png

What you guys think about that. Bull**** ??

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:19 AM
    This is the answer I got from BlackBerryHelp on Twitter :

What you guys think about that. Bull**** ??

Posted via CB10
    What was the question to this answer?
    HighFlight88 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-12-16 08:21 AM
    Oups sorry, if there was any plan on updating android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:22 AM
    Past 4.3

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:23 AM
    Just vapid chit chat I think. BlackBerry already stated they won't be updating the Runtime in 10.3.3.
    07-12-16 08:25 AM
    I've been unable to find that info where did you get it.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:27 AM
    � sorry I read to fast you said in upcoming 10.3.3 which is supposed to be the next one if I'm right,but what about the other updates since I read a lot about two more of updates comming?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:30 AM
    � sorry I read to fast you said in upcoming 10.3.3 which is supposed to be the next one if I'm right,but what about the other updates since I read a lot about two more of updates comming?

Posted via CB10
    After 10.3.3, only one additional update announced, 10.3.4.

They won't update the Runtime. Even if they were allowed (which they aren't), there is no one left to do it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Mecca EL like this.
    07-12-16 08:40 AM
    Haha ok I got it thanks you very much for your input.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-16 08:44 AM
    Just vapid chit chat I think. BlackBerry already stated they won't be updating the Runtime in 10.3.3.
    If I'm correct, years ago they promised a dark hub in 10.3.3(I don't really know b'coz I read it in some post)... But I guess we won't get it in the update...

Posted via My Lovely Z30
    07-12-16 09:06 PM
    If I'm correct, years ago they promised a dark hub in 10.3.3
    No, years ago people started asking for it, and some people then assumed that it would surely be coming "with the next update." Some of these people went public with their speculation/pipe-dream, and others latched on to it as gospel direct from the CEO's mouth, which then led to people "expecting" a dark hub since the release of 10.2. It was never promised, and it ain't coming.
    07-12-16 09:29 PM
    No, years ago people started asking for it, and some people then assumed that it would surely be coming "with the next update." Some of these people went public with their speculation/pipe-dream, and others latched on to it as gospel direct from the CEO's mouth, which then led to people "expecting" a dark hub since the release of 10.2. It was never promised, and it ain't coming.
    And there actually WAS a dark hub in one of the early 10.3.1 leaks (that few people ever got). It was gone again in subsequent leaks.

Dark Hub options look set to arrive in BlackBerry 10.3.1 http://www.crackberry.com/dark-hub-o...lackberry-1031
    illlya and Mecca EL like this.
    07-12-16 09:34 PM
    More than anything else, an updated Runtime would extend the life cycle of BB10....

If BlackBerry were really committed to BB10, when 10.3.2 was launched it would have included Android 5.0. But I think Chen's commitment to BB10 ended very early in his reign a CEO. Probable was little choice but to drastically cut BB10 develpment, but kept enough going to allow for some improvements. But a move to 64Bits or an updated Runtime... these were too costly based on their current sales and projections.
    07-14-16 07:30 AM
    The current Android runtime is based on Android 4.3.

And Pokemon Go requires Android 4.4 or higher.

C'mon BlackBerry, get on with it!!???

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 01:06 PM
    The current Android runtime is based on Android 4.3.

And Pokemon Go requires Android 4.4 or higher.

C'mon BlackBerry, get on with it!!???

Posted via CB10
    Catch that PokeChen on a PRIV man! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-19-16 02:35 PM
    After 10.3.3, only one additional update announced, 10.3.4.

They won't update the Runtime. Even if they were allowed (which they aren't), there is no one left to do it.
    For whatever reasons, I found this painfully funny....
    07-19-16 02:41 PM
    Can someone explain what keeps Blackberry from updating the runtime? Is it a legality issue or a cost issue?
    I don't see how it could be that costly, especially give b their whole device department seems dependent on the run time's existence.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 07:30 PM
    Can someone explain what keeps Blackberry from updating the runtime? Is it a legality issue or a cost issue?
    I don't see how it could be that costly, especially give b their whole device department seems dependent on the run time's existence.

YES!!!

07-19-16 08:05 PM

This has been done to death, but the short answer is that OHA rules prohibit a manufacturer from producing a forked version of Android (which BlackBerry's Android Runtime is), if they also sell a compliant Android device (which the Priv and the others to follow are).

Either way, a forked version of Android would never be permitted to have Google Play Services, including the Play Store and other Google apps.
    07-19-16 08:11 PM
    No the department isn't dependent on this. The Priv doesn't use it. None of the new phones coming soon will use it.
    07-19-16 08:17 PM
    Either way, a forked version of Android would never be permitted to have Google Play Services, including the Play Store and other Google apps.

So with that said, BlackBerry cannot update the ART At all? Does this have anything to do with The Priv and if so, what benefits will BlackBerry get from this engagement with Google?

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 08:33 PM
    So with that said, BlackBerry cannot update the ART At all? Does this have anything to do with The Priv and if so, what benefits will BlackBerry get from this engagement with Google?
    Yes, this is so that the Priv and other new phones can ship with full supported access to Google Play and Google Services.

The primary cost of developing, maintaining and updating the OS is now being paid by Google, Qualcomm and other partners.
    07-19-16 08:39 PM
    This post will explain much of what's at issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-store-953753/

The simple version is: manufacturers who want to use Android have 2 choices:

1. Use AOSP (Android Open-Source Program) source code and make whatever device you like, and make whatever changes to the source code you like. Amazon did this to build their FireOS, and BB did this to build their Android Runtime for BB10. However, this isn't going to get you access to Google Mobile Services (GMS) or the Google Play Store - which most end-users deem crucial for a good experience. In order to get access to those things, your device must be Google Compliant.
    2. Build Google-Compliant devices. These are Android phones that meet a long list of specific requirements. Among these requirements are: the phone must boot directly into Android, and must be the main OS - no dual-booting or other such solutions. The phone must display a "Powered by Android" logo at bootup. And the phone must pass a big battery of compliance tests via an app that Google has created and constantly updates. If you build such a device, you can approach Google for a license for GMS and Google Play. If you decide to sign this license, you understand and agree that you cannot build any non-Google-Compliant devices - not for your own company and not as an OEM for another company.

Google is not stupid. The Play Store and GMS are not open-source and never were - they were always Google's property, and OEMs who choose to license those properties are not going to ALSO be able to use Android or the Play Store to compete AGAINST Google's ecosystem.

Nearly all Android manufacturers have signed such licenses, because their potential customers (in nearly all markets except China and North Korea) expect to have access to GMS and Google Play, and without it, they are selling phones with no real ecosystems that only hacker-types would be willing to deal with.

BB could have made their own fork of Android like Amazon did, but they'd have failed just like Amazon failed with their FirePhone, because of a lack of a quality ecosystem. Amazon's ecosystem, while far stronger than BB10s, is still very weak compared to Apple's App Store or Google Play, and buyers know that, and they buy accordingly. The only reason Amazon sold any FireOS tablets is because they sold them as loss leaders and set them up to be sales portals for Amazon retail and Amazon streaming services. But no one bought their phones, because for the money they were asking, phones with FAR better ecosystems were available.

BB would have loved to have built in access for Google Play, or updated the Runtime, but again, those are Google's property, and by signing the license (necessary to sell Android phones), they signed away their ability to make new phones with an Android Runtime or to update their existing Android Runtime beyond the current API level (essentially stuck at Android 4.3 forever).
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    07-19-16 10:15 PM
    This sounds like Google wants to bake their cake and eat it to and not share any with the chefs in the kitchen who supplying their deserts. Google reminds me of Rogers. Want their hands in everything and own the industry. Oh well, good thing I don't need apps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Kryngle; 07-21-16 at 09:26 AM.
    07-20-16 08:44 PM
    This sounds like Google wants to bake their cake and eat bit to and not share any with the chefs in the kitchen who supplying their deserts. Google reminds me of Rogers. Want their hands in everything and own the industry. Oh well, good thing I don't need apps.

Posted via CB10
    Except phone vendors can go on using AOSP forever if they want to. Only if they WANT Google's services do they have to agree to terms. If I had a software company, I'd want the same.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    07-20-16 08:52 PM
47 12