Am I the only one that finds the Android runtime too be too slow on the Z10/Q10 -- even on 10.2? With all the rumours about Google Play coming to BB10, I'm worried that (IF this happens), the notion of "Android on BB10" is going to be ripped to shreds by reviewers for having slow performance.

For example: FlipBoard -- it can take upto 3 seconds to open a section even on a highspeed WIFI connection (the fancy animations run quickly though). Many apps also have a very delayed reaction to touch. SoundCloud (sideload) runs slower than the SoundCloud website in the BB10 browser. The Kobo app stutters, and has pauses and delays when navigating through it. The CNN app runs so slowly as to be esentially unusable.

When I was on 10.1 I was told "don't worry--things will run much faster with Jelly Bean on 10.2". Well, I haven't found this at all. Another example: Instagram (sideloaded): Besides being able to run newer versions of with 10.2, I haven't noticed any increase of speed whatsoever with the new Jelly Bean runtime. None at all. Scrolling still stutters and there are still delays after most touch actions. I always feel I have to use the app very softly as opposed to the way I can whip around native apps.

I'm not saying these apps (except for CNN) run too slow to be usable, but they don't have the snappy performance that you get on an Android phone -- EVEN on Android phones with identical hardware like the Galaxy S3.

IMO, BlackBerry needs to do some serious optimization work if they want Google Play on the Z10/Q10 to work (again -- this is just a rumour). If they release it as-is, then -- IMO -- it's gonna be yet another atomic PR distaster.

But more importantly, even if they don't add Google Play, I think all BB users would like to see much better performance from Android ports. No more stuttering. No more pauses.
    11-11-13 10:00 AM
    My brother has SGS3 with custom ROM and overclocked kernel and performance of android apps on Q10 is almost same as on SGS3. In some apps it feels much smoother than on "native" android.

For example I can run minion rush without any lags, my brother doesnt and his games lags like hell

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:34 AM
    My brother has SGS3 with custom ROM and overclocked kernel and performance of android apps on Q10 is almost same as on SGS3. In some apps it feels much smoother than on "native" android.

For example I can run minion rush without any lags, my brother doesnt and his games lags like hell

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. My experience has been different. In fact, even my dad's Galaxy Nexus (which has even slower hardware than the Z10) runs apps like Instagram faster than my Z10

EDIT: Actually, Instagram does run quite well (except for some stuttering when scrolling, and sometimes it momentarily pauses), but FlipBoard can often take forever to navigate around. Once a section has loaded, it flips through it fast. But moving through menus and settings etc... is very very laggy. SoundCloud stutters when swiping through songs, etc...
    Last edited by mnc76; 11-11-13 at 11:39 AM.
    11-11-13 11:15 AM