02-05-17 10:25 AM
133 ... 456
tools
    Not to say it hasn't been tried: BlackBerry CEO John Chen calls for 'app neutrality' | CrackBerry.com

Two problems with that. First, the idea itself screams of desperation. Second, the new administration doesn't seem too keen on neutrality, which is the example that Chen wanted to apply to smartphone apps.

Of course, that plan was from January 2015, well before the Priv and further devices that aren't on the wrong end of the app gap.
    Really, and how did not being on the wrong end of the app gap with Priv and Dtek help those sales and kill BlackBerry hardware?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 11:55 PM
    Eh, you mean the last unavailable build? 'Cause 2205 has been spotted on the Production server as it's rolling out right now.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red) <3
    I did mean the last build they actually worked on. However, today, a brand new build popped up.

Not available for us, of course, but it does mean someone is back in the BlackBerry basement janitor's closet, pecking away at the keyboard.

Joel
    02-04-17 01:06 AM
    Really, and how did not being on the wrong end of the app gap with Priv and Dtek help those sales and kill BlackBerry hardware?

Posted via CB10
    It didn't help much, but IMHO it did what it was supposed to do: lower the development costs.
    02-04-17 03:50 AM
    It didn't help much, but IMHO it did what it was supposed to do: lower the development costs.
    Really? 'Cause the Priv is still pretty expensive for us customers. Not sure why they would ask such a high price from us if development costs would be lower?

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    02-04-17 03:55 PM
    Really? 'Cause the Priv is still pretty expensive for us customers. Not sure why they would ask such a high price from us if development costs would be lower?
    So they could actually make money on the Priv, or at the very least not lose as much as they were on the BB10 phones.
    02-04-17 05:15 PM
    I just posted this on a similar thread

There is one thing that I really need clarification on. I remember a few years ago when they were trying to populate the BlackBerry app store, BlackBerry had software that converts Android app to BlackBerry. Skype was one of the original apps that were in BlackBerry World and it was an Android port.

My question is that if it's that easy to convert Android apps to BlackBerry World, why doesn't BlackBerry just use this software to convert all the top few hundred apps?

I don't think it's that hard to hire a few people to drag apk files and convert them. I convert apk files that require Google play and make them work.

Never understood the reason for the lack of apps when this capability is available

Posted via CB10
    02-04-17 09:04 PM
    I will put my response here then too

Several reasons

1) they dont always work. Many times features would be broke and if it requires GPS its a no go still.

2) Permission. They dont have it. They have to get the owner to sign off and give the OK. And most probably wont

3) Support. There would be none. The original owner isnt going to support this type of thing if something is broke. So if BB did this and then it is broke they have nothing they can do

4) at this point its not worth the effort anyway. They dont care about marketshare and sales even of bb10 devices. They are looking to the future where bb10 is the past they can forget
    02-04-17 09:09 PM
    I just posted this on a similar thread...
    And, you got answer there and here.

Besides, that tool was for developers to use. Not for BlackBerry to use. BlackBerry hoped it would help, and it did at first. Until everyone realized this new BB10 thing wasn't going anywhere.

Just as all this was happening, Google really began pushing the new GMS in the form of Play Services. At the time Play Services wasn't all that prevalent. But that quickly changed just as people were finding ways to package apk files into bar files and BB10 users were sideloading apps with the Chrome plugin. As android apps were updating, more and more began relying on Play Services to run, even if they really didn't need them.

Joel
    02-05-17 10:25 AM
133 ... 456